• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Elite Sinkie like to compare with peers on how well each other is doing!

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apr 4, 2010
High price of peer pressure
By Fiona Chan

A friend recently bought an apartment and e-mailed me to tell me the good news.

'Did I tell you I finally bought a place? It's in Bukit Timah,' he said. 'Have you bought yours yet?'
'Congratulations,' I replied. 'Yup, we bought an apartment just across the road from our old place.'

'Huh? Why don't you want to move somewhere else?' he asked.

'Well, I really like our location,' I said. 'It's quite close to town and the traffic there is smooth.'

'I prefer Bukit Timah,' came the quick response. 'I think my location is better.'

The rest of the conversation was about how much I had paid for my home, down to the dollar amount per sq ft ('Mine is cheaper,' my friend said); what loan I had taken ('I guess you're more conservative than I am'); and which contractor I was using for my renovations ('Send me your quote, I want to see if mine is better').

By the time I'd finished talking to him, I felt as exhausted as if I had run a marathon - against someone who had decided from the get-go that I had already lost.

Some call it a rat race. To me, it feels more like a shooting competition, only using your friends as targets.

Of course, most of the conversations I have with my friends about Important Life Decisions don't go like this.

While we sometimes compare cars, homes and diamond rings, invariably we all end up assuring others that they've made the best decisions for their own lives. That's what friends are for, after all.

But every once in a while, one of my peers will interrogate me on my lifestyle in a way that makes me feel like there's an invisible but giant scoreboard in the sky.

Not only do they want to know everything I've bought and how much I paid, but they also want to tell me why their choices were all better than mine.

My new home is 10 minutes from Orchard Road? Theirs is 81/2 minutes away. I can walk to the MRT from my place? They'll have an MRT station too, you know - in 2020. And a new hospital nearby. And a park connector.

Wait till you have children, one of my friends told me. The comparisons will get 10 times worse: 'So how's your kid doing? Mine's taking Japanese and Arabic classes, got his Grade 8 in piano last month, and has taken up abstract painting.'
Most of the time, these hyper-competitive conversations are as amusing as they are annoying. But having too many of them can make it feel like the natural process of becoming an adult has turned into a dispiriting game of one-upmanship.

To be fair, it's not hard to understand this behaviour.

For years, my peers and I went through pretty much the same life experiences: We attended the same schools, had the same extracurricular activities, and were mostly offered the same opportunities.

But despite these shared paths in youth, not everyone is finding his first steps in adulthood equally easy.

Some save up for a few years to buy their first flat in Sengkang, and then wait three more years for it to be ready. Others, often with their parents' help, drive BMWs and think nothing of buying a million-dollar condominium for their first home.

To make things worse, even though my former classmates and I may have done similarly well in school, in many cases our income levels started diverging almost from the moment we started work.

This isn't necessarily because some of us work harder or are smarter than the rest, but simply because different industries and companies pay differently, and sometimes all it boils down to is being in the right place at the right time.

So it's little wonder that people in my generation, born and bred on a diet of meritocracy, are finding it hard to swallow any disparity in starting pay and starter assets.
To reassure themselves that they're still on the right track, they constantly compare themselves with their peers. In the process, sometimes unconsciously, they end up putting everyone else down.

It's been drilled into us that we should not judge someone by his possessions and just be content with what we have. But in real life, this state of zen is almost impossible to achieve, especially when you're counting the days to your next pay cheque while your friends have lost count of the designer stuff they own.

Still, life doesn't have to be a zero-sum game. For people my age, it wasn't so long ago when having a friend with a big house meant only one thing: more room in which all of us could play.

Among my closest friends, one person's windfall still has a way of becoming everyone's good fortune. Whoever is earning more or has just received a big bonus will insist on paying for dinner, and those who live in bigger or centrally located houses usually offer to host gatherings.

This can only happen because we're all open with one another about how much we earn and spend - and that is in turn possible only because we don't see our friends' successes as somehow being a reflection on our own failures.

Of course, this harmony may not last after we all have kids. So I'm going to train mine to play the ukulele and become experts in lawn croquet.

That way, the only thing they'll ever be able to compare with their peers meaningfully is how lousy their parents were.

[email protected]

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is one of the sinkie behavior in my list. That is not just shallow but also shown a class lower in character compare to others.

Why mixed with sinkies...? That is why i love breadtalk. They are smart not to employ any sinkies.

A list of sinkie behavior:

Of course, most of the conversations I have with my friends about Important Life Decisions don't go like this.

While we sometimes compare cars, homes and diamond rings, invariably we all end up assuring others that they've made the best decisions for their own lives. That's what friends are for, after all.

But every once in a while, one of my peers will interrogate me on my lifestyle in a way that makes me feel like there's an invisible but giant scoreboard in the sky.

Not only do they want to know everything I've bought and how much I paid, but they also want to tell me why their choices were all better than mine.

My new home is 10 minutes from Orchard Road? Theirs is 81/2 minutes away. I can walk to the MRT from my place? They'll have an MRT station too, you know - in 2020. And a new hospital nearby. And a park connector.

Wait till you have children, one of my friends told me. The comparisons will get 10 times worse: 'So how's your kid doing? Mine's taking Japanese and Arabic classes, got his Grade 8 in piano last month, and has taken up abstract painting.'
Most of the time, these hyper-competitive conversations are as amusing as they are annoying. But having too many of them can make it feel like the natural process of becoming an adult has turned into a dispiriting game of one-upmanship.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why not you just ask your peers? How much you have been screwed by your govt? Did you try to go against your PAP govt. then they will win by showing a ball-less face in front of you. A high score in being a coward.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Among my closest friends, one person's windfall still has a way of becoming everyone's good fortune. Whoever is earning more or has just received a big bonus will insist on paying for dinner, and those who live in bigger or centrally located houses usually offer to host gatherings.

This can only happen because we're all open with one another about how much we earn and spend - and that is in turn possible only because we don't see our friends' successes as somehow being a reflection on our own failures.

Hey, this is what i always do and that is a natural way of behavior mah. how come to a sinkie, they have to educate someone to behave like that?

balajii

Alfrescian
Loyal
for someone with a ladyboy for wife, it makes sense not to compare with your peers lah.:eek::biggrin:

better diam diam ok.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one of the sinkie behavior in my list. That is not just shallow but also shown a class lower in character compare to others.

Why mixed with sinkies...? That is why i love breadtalk. They are smart not to employ any sinkies.

A list of sinkie behavior:

Haha talk cock la u. U are a Sinkie yourself leh. Got spit on yourself when u look at the mirror? Why so long still haven't give up Singapore pink ic? Thai gahmen no need foreign pimps like u is it?

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal

For MRT stations some flats are actually closer than condominums and landed properties.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a friend (really good friend) to challenge me how many he has fcuked. how many secondary teachers, how many nurses, how many countries...

better accomplishments, than comparing the possessions you have

Capano2020

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a top down approach to things! The ministers & lackeys are always comparing their current salary to the imaginary 6 million dollars paying job that is waiting for them anyway! Apart from the very humble Dr. Tony Tan who has a bank waiting for him, who else in the private holding company has anything waiting for them outside? I wouldn't be surprised if one day we hear news that the family has cashed out from all the investments using your money and are now staying in a island or maybe a sovereign piece of land like the vatican somewhere other than this red dot! Think about it, do you want to wait until that day comes or change of regime the way they do it in MONROVIA? But then again, sinkies has been castrated even before they fully leave the womb of their mother.

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a friend (really good friend) to challenge me how many he has fcuked. how many secondary teachers, how many nurses, how many countries...

better accomplishments, than comparing the possessions you have

meaning u r the same kind with ur GOOD friend, 物以类聚

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
My uncle is a lao cheow renovation contractor and he told me that most of those people who bought condo or big/ex HDB flats are actually living hand to mouth. They calculated every costs till just nice - which means they have no savings and will be farked when things go against them. Sometimes knowing what they do, which company they work in and what position they hold, plus some simple mathematics will review whether they are living hand to mouth or living off their parents.

Even my mum likes to compare myself with my cousin and praise him for buying Rolex watches etc for his parents. What she didn't know is that my cousin has asked me a few times whether my company offer any personal/unsecured loans.

So no need to compare, it is also nothing unsual to compare and there are things that people won't tell you.

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal
My uncle is a lao cheow renovation contractor and he told me that most of those people who bought condo or big/ex HDB flats are actually living hand to mouth. They calculated every costs till just nice - which means they have no savings and will be farked when things go against them. Sometimes knowing what they do, which company they work in and what position they hold, plus some simple mathematics will review whether they are living hand to mouth or living off their parents.

Even my mum likes to compare myself with my cousin and praise him for buying Rolex watches etc for his parents. What she didn't know is that my cousin has asked me a few times whether my company offer any personal/unsecured loans.

So no need to compare, it is also nothing unsual to compare and there are things that people won't tell you.

Excellent post. As in most things you need some wisdom or in its absence, a a bit of common sense. With just a bit of thinking a lot of these trivialities can be analysed and understood, but as you know, most people actually enjoy dwelling and wallowing in superficiality and stupidity and have obstinately made it their point in life to continue in this lowbrow fashion.

The art of life is of course to recognise and not follow the ways of these dumb and inferior people.

It also goes without saying that for these low-intelligence germ cultures ('culture' as in the scientific interpretation) we do not need not take into account as humans - we can simply regard them as animals.