• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shocking video : Supersize Me & Food Inc. - time to reflect on food intake

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Take a break from current affairs & politics .....

My bro told me about 2 docu DVDs he rented recently in addition to the usual blockbusters.

I was unimpressed: Supersize Me and Food Inc.
Not all these greenpeace tree-hugging crap again, I thought.

I haven't seen them yet. But a short intro by my bro jolted me.

Supersize Me is a docu by a guy who wants to prove a point to McDonald's by submitting himself to an experiment: one solid month of McDonald's meals (3 x per day x 30 days).

End result: 30 lbs gain & irreparable health damage.

Note the number of tablespoons of sugar equivalent to one upsized Coke drink etc !

I think it's a little extreme. Balanced diet & Mcdonald's once a while should be ok, right ? Was told McDonald USA response when queried in the docu - ' eh, any visit more than once a week is actually extreme oredy' wahlao ! I am shocked.

My bro told me his precocious son 8 yrs old, who used to cry when denied the McDonald's trip after watching this documentary has sworn off McDonald's fast food ...... for now.

Parents with McDonald's craving kids, get that DVD !

The other docu DVD is Food Inc. up for Oscar honors this year (see article below).

My bro is shocked by the ills of large economies of scale in modern industrial food production across all food industries .... from corn as commodity crop mass production to cattle to modern poultry farming.

The scenes of chicken dying in their crap (see para highlighted below) is most disturbing.

sigh.... modern living.

Those interested can google for videos on 'Supersize Me' or 'Food Inc', or even go rent the DVDs.

BTW Kong Hee Fatt Choy feasting now very sobering :smile:

Would you feed your family out-of-date food to ease the landfill crisis? As hard-hitting US documentary Food, Inc gets an Oscar nomination, Cassandra Jardine declares war on waste by shopping online for produce past its sell-by date.
By Cassandra Jardine
Published: 6:00PM GMT 06 Feb 2010
Comments 7 | Comment on this article

cassfood_1573558c.jpg
You are what you eat: all this out-of-date food cost Cassandra Jardine just £18 from approvedfood.co.uk Photo: JANE MINGAY

My pulse is racing. I have found a new way to save money on food – and help to save the planet in the process. I had thought there was nothing more I could do to cut back on bills and waste as I am already a devotee of markets, pound shops, supermarkets' yellow cut-price stickers and recycled leftovers. But the next logical step has just been delivered to my door: a box full of items that supermarkets cannot sell but are still fit to eat.
According to Approved Food, the leading online seller of clearance produce, the goods would have cost £64.08 in a supermarket, but I have paid only £13.02 (plus £5.25 postage) for this 22-kilo package. Some of the items will be past, or close to, their sell-by dates; others will be surplus to requirements. Until a year or so ago, these goods would have been consigned to the bin but now, for only 99p, I can save eight litres of Heinz Dijon mustard from landfill, where every tonne of food waste generates 6.5 tonnes of carbon dioxide.
<!-- BEFORE ACI -->
Not only do I now have enough mustard to make salad dressing for the rest of my life, I have contributed to the "war on waste", one of the less controversial wars declared by this Government. Food waste is one of the scandals of our time. The latest statistics from the government-funded Waste and Resources Action Programme suggest this country bins 20 million tonnes of food every year.
During the Second World War, an era revisited in The Ministry of Food, an exhibition which opens this Friday at the Imperial War Museum in London, nothing was thrown away. Back gardens were turned over to vegetable growing, and every scraping made into something edible. Seventy years on, households put 8.3 million tonnes of once-edible food in bins, or £50 from the average family's monthly shopping bill. Tempted by greed and ''bogof'' deals – buy one, get one free – we buy more than we need, cook more than we can eat, then chuck out far more than we should.
A few individuals are manically frugal, including the man who posted this comment on a recycling website: "When I do boiled potatoes, I use the same water to do some rice and then I put that into cartons and freeze it."
Without becoming obsessive, there must be more we can do to cut back. We can, for one thing, look out for "bogof later" offers. Tesco and Sainsbury's are trialling "buy one now, get one free next time" schemes, in which shoppers can postpone a free second promotional product until a later trip. It's a small gesture, but timely, given the release of Food, Inc, the Oscar-nominated documentary for which Stella McCartney is hosting a glitzy UK premiere this week. Food, Inc aims to do for the food industry what Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth did for climate change. In Britain, we are perhaps more aware than Americans of the less-than-picturesque way food is produced. Writers Felicity Lawrence and Joanna Blythman and television presenters Jamie Oliver and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall have opened eyes. But Food, Inc will induce indigestion.
The film shows animals kept in cramped conditions, fed unsuitable corn-based foods that leave them unable to support their own body-weight, and kept standing in their own manure which can lead to health hazards. It shows overweight people eating an unhealthy diet high in fat, salt and sugar which suits the big corporations that produce it.
"Every purchase is a vote" is the punchline of Food, Inc. So here I am voting to reduce waste – if not my waist – by buying superannuated biscuits and bags of unwanted pistachio nuts from approvedfood.co.uk "It's a crime to send this to landfill," says Dan Cluderay, the software engineer-turned-market store holder who set up the company in 2008. He has 60,000 customers, and in the run-up to Christmas reported year-on-year sales up 500 per cent. Cluderay is about to expand from his football-pitch sized warehouse outside Sheffield into a 12-depot network.
During the 20 minutes for which we talk, Cluderay receives calls from by three different suppliers eager to offload water, tinned peas and sweets. Often they are in despair; Cluderay is not surprised given the way they say they are treated by supermarkets. "A supermarket might order a million of an item, start by taking half a million, and then decide not to take the rest, leaving the suppliers with a lot of marked-up products that they can't sell."
Last week, the Government introduced a code to curb supermarkets' bullying behaviour towards suppliers, who are made to pay fines for the tiniest of transgressions and take the knock if a product is discounted. But Hilary Benn, the Environment Secretary, has not followed through on promises to get rid of the largely meaningless "best-before" labels that result in 370,000 tons of waste because supermarkets won't take goods with less than 75 per cent of the time before that date left to run.
Best-before and sell-by dates are a convenience for shelf stackers. Unlike "use-by" dates, they do not safeguard the public, yet lead to appalling waste. "Food that cannot be sold has no commercial value," says Tony Lowe, chief executive of Fair Share, which takes food that would otherwise be destroyed and gives it to charities which turn it into meals at drop-in centres.
Lowe, who used to work for Marks & Spencer, cannot understand why supermarkets have been slow to offload their surpluses when it costs less than the cost of destruction to give it to Fair Share. "We use 90 per cent of the food given to us – anything from lobsters to Pot Noodles – and last year we rescued 3,100 tonnes that would have been destroyed. We could do five times that amount – enough to fill 28,000 articulated lorries – if they only gave it to us."
Even if he achieves his aim, there will still be plenty left for the online purveyors of discount foods. At present, having opened my box, I don't think these are the answer to anyone's weekly shop. The range is small and consists largely of foods that I would never normally buy, such as tinned new potatoes. That will start changing very soon, promises Cluderay. "We are about to move to next-day delivery," he says. "That means we can sell fresh fruit and veg."
The next step will be chilled foods. But right now these rescued goods are causing me a new waste problem. What I am going to do with 12 packets of Super Cook Belgian Chocolate Scrolls? I can't now bin them. Would anyone like some Dijon mustard?

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This scene kept playing in my head :

Poor hens & chicken - forced feed protein for solid meat.

Imprisoned to maximize growth.

Eventually flesh grows idsproportionate to bone growth, some more no exercise.

Poor chicken struggling on wobbly weak legs (poignant scene).

Then pumped antibiotics to improve bone matter.

Finally slaughtered & processed by efficient industrial means into the whole range of poultry products & packaging demanded by the consumer market.

Walao !

<object height="340" width="560">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqQVll-MP3I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="340" width="560"></object>

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should also check out "Where in the world is Osama Bin Laden". Starring the same guy in Supersize me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_in_the_World_Is_Osama_Bin_Laden%3F

Also watch Collapse, where it talks about the world coming to an end when the oil runs out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse_(film)

Food Inc, talks about American food production. Not the rest of the world. Over here in Aussie land, after watching the show, I've asked several colleagues that grew up in farms. What is termed organic farming in America is practiced here. There is no CAFO and use of Mosanto grains as highlighted in the film.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sBLPiusG0N8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sBLPiusG0N8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You should also check out "Where in the world is Osama Bin Laden". Starring the same guy in Supersize me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_in_the_World_Is_Osama_Bin_Laden?

Also watch Collapse, where it talks about the world coming to an end when the oil runs out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse_(film)

Food Inc, talks about American food production. Not the rest of the world. Over here in Aussie land, after watching the show, I've asked several colleagues that grew up in farms. What is termed organic farming in America is practiced here. There is no CAFO and use of Mosanto grains as highlighted in the film.

Thks for yr sharing Ash007.

I have seen Fahrenheit & other Moorer's ocnspiracy theories such as those used by Mahathir regarding 9/11 fraud.

Normally, I can't be bothered.

Still, sometimes one feels so powerless in the whole scheme of things as the now often used justification ' since they can make Avatar, they can make anything !'.

I suppose one must always HOPE, that's why this website will still be buzzing on, even after(not if) the PAP is returned to power in the next election, whenever it is going to be....

We must always HOPE & do ALL we can !

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you like conspiracy theory, check out Loose Change as well. It highlighted several inconsistencies in 9/11 attacks. Example, it would have been easier to just plop the plane straight into the middle of the Pentagon, yet, the "pilot" did a series of complicated maneuvers that is "impossible" on a plane of its size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loose_Change_(film)

Also check out The cove, on the plight of the dolphins getting killed in Japan!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cove_(film)

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thks for yr sharing Ash007.

I have seen Fahrenheit & other Moorer's ocnspiracy theories such as those used by Mahathir regarding 9/11 fraud.

Normally, I can't be bothered.

Still, sometimes one feels so powerless in the whole scheme of things as the now often used justification ' since they can make Avatar, they can make anything !'.

I suppose one must always HOPE, that's why this website will still be buzzing on, even after(not if) the PAP is returned to power in the next election, whenever it is going to be....

We must always HOPE & do ALL we can !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Tv_mihMBA

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Food Inc is a very good documentary. What they presented is all true. I know because I study nutrition. My advice to all is to cut down on processed meat n eat more veges n fruits

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
And another thing, stay clear of prescription drugs.
Statins, anti depressant, insulin, sleeping pills,

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would also recommend a good book, The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael pollen. Post-WW2, with the FDR Corn subsidy act, where corn price was fixed so farmers can have a decent income, the end result was overproduction of corn. And it went from animal feed to "manufactured food" like cereals, using the notorious carcinogenic HFCS -high fructose corn syrup, until Man went from a spoilt for choice in food to a dilemma where there is today so much "food" but so little that is healthy.

For one thing, cows fed on grass is au naturel and our forefathers never suffered from cancer, strokes etc. Today, cows are fed on corn, and the cow does not take to corn easily so it gets sick from acidosis (excessive stomach acid). Cattle farmers therefore feed them with antibiotics mixed into the corn, to prevent them from falling sick, and this poses even increased risks for humans.

Last edited:

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is The Food We Eat Killing Us?

Are we digging our own graves with our teeth? Is the food that we eat every day slowly killing us? When I was growing up, I just assumed that everything in the grocery store was perfectly safe and perfectly healthy. I just assumed that the government and the big corporations were watching out for us and that they would never allow something harmful to be sold in the stores. Boy, was I wrong! Today, the average American diet is extremely unhealthy. Most of the foods that we all love to eat are absolutely packed with things that will damage our health. Many of the ingredients that make our foods "taste good" such as fat, salt and sugar can be extremely damaging in large amounts. On top of that, most processed foods are absolutely loaded with chemicals and preservatives. The next time you go to the grocery store, just start turning over packages and read the "ingredients" that are being put into our food. If you have never done this before, you will be absolutely amazed. In many of our most common foods there are "ingredients" that I cannot even pronounce. Sadly, most Americans have no idea that eating a steady diet of these processed foods will likely leave them massively overweight, very sick and much closer to death.

Eating healthy takes more time, more effort and more money than eating poorly does.

Unfortunately, most Americans are content to chow down on foods that are quick to make and that taste good.

In particular, Americans are absolutely addicted to foods that are loaded with sugar and high fructose corn syrup.

When you start looking at food product labels, you will find that either sugar or high fructose corn syrup is in almost everything.

For example, I was absolutely amazed when I learned that most bread sold in our grocery stores contains high fructose corn syrup.

Why in the world would they need to put that into our bread?

Today, Americans are consuming far more sugar and high fructose corn syrup than ever before, and this has many health professionals very alarmed. The following is an excerpt from an article on the website of the Mayo Clinic....

Some research studies have linked consumption of large amounts of any type of added sugar — not just high-fructose corn syrup — to such health problems as weight gain, dental cavities, poor nutrition, and increased triglyceride levels, which can boost your heart attack risk.

But it is not just sweeteners that are a concern.

There are great concerns about much of the meat that we eat as well.

Today, we grow animals much larger than we used to, but it comes at a price.

For example, we pump our cows full of growth hormones and they stand around in piles of their own manure until it is time for them to die.

If many Americans were aware of where the "cheap beef" in their grocery stores really comes from they might just change their eating habits.

Another dramatic change that has happened to our food supply in recent decades has been the rise of genetically modified crops.

In this area, there has been nothing short of a revolution.

In 1996, only about 2% of all soybeans in the United States were genetically modified. Today, about 90% of all soybeans in the United States are genetically modified.

At this point, approximately 70% of all processed foods in our grocery stores contain at least one ingredient that has been genetically modified.

This is one reason why so many Americans have shifted to an organic diet. Nobody really knows what the long-term health effects of eating all of this genetically-modified food will be on all of us.

But there are some things that we do know.

For example, if you drink large amounts of soda every day you are going to gain weight and you are likely to damage your health.

Sadly, even though we know this, the average American still consumes over 600 12-ounce servings of soda per year.

Is it any wonder that we have an obesity epidemic in America?

As I wrote about the other day, approximately 36 percent of all Americans are obese.

In fact, the United States has a higher percentage of obese people than any other major industrialized nation does.

All of this obesity helps to explain the dramatic rise that we have seen in diseases such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes in recent years.

Did you know that people living in the United States are three times more likely to have diabetes than people living in the United Kingdom?

It is not a mystery why this is happening.

It is because of our unhealthy diets.

The food we eat is killing us.

We are a nation that is becoming a little less healthy every single day, and this is causing healthcare costs to completely spiral out of control.

According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, health care costs accounted for just 9.5% of all personal consumption back in 1980. Today they account for approximately 16.3%.

That is an incredible rise.

And health care costs have been rising much faster than the overall rate of inflation.

For example, health insurance premiums have risen three times faster than wages have in the United States over the past decade.

As Americans get sicker, health care will continue to be a "growth industry".

When we all get sick, what do the doctors do?

They put us all on prescription drugs.

According to the CDC, the percentage of Americans that report that they have taken at least one prescription drug within the last 30 days has risen to almost 50 percent.

In fact, 31 percent of Americans say that they have taken at least two prescription drugs within the last 30 days and 11 percent have taken at least five prescription drugs within the last 30 days.

But what happens when you take prescription drugs?

Well, most of them have nasty little side effects that cause even more health problems.

You know, there is something to be said for going back to a much more natural approach to health. For example, a recent study found that Amish children have very low levels of asthma and allergies. The following is from a recent Reuters article....

Amish children raised on rural farms in northern Indiana suffer from asthma and allergies less often even than Swiss farm kids, a group known to be relatively free from allergies, according to a new study.

"The rates are very, very low," said Dr. Mark Holbreich, the study's lead author. "So there's something that we feel is even more protective in the Amish" than in European farming communities.

What it is about growing up on farms -- and Amish farms in particular -- that seems to prevent allergies remains unclear.

Could the Amish teach the rest of us a thing or two about staying healthy?

That is something to think about.

Another aspect of all this is the packaging that our food comes in.

Chemicals from the packaging our food comes in can often get into our food and have serious health effects as an article by Emily Barrett recently described....

Increasingly, evidence shows that the plastics and wrappers used for packaging can inadvertently leach unwanted chemicals into food. Several recent studies found high levels of bisphenol A – an environmental chemical that can disrupt hormonal processes – in canned foods and in packaged foods for people and pets.

Now, another study suggests that the problems go far beyond just one culprit or one health effect. Among the many toxic chemicals that can migrate from packaging into food are the endocrine disrupting phthalates and organotins and the carcinogen benzophenone. These compounds are heavily used in food packaging and have known health effects, yet are not routinely tested or regulated in food, according to the paper's author Jane Muncke.*

Although some regulations exist to guarantee safe food packaging, the current system does not address concerns posed by endocrine disrupting chemicals, Muncke explains.* The associated health effects of exposure to hormone altering compounds are many and varied, including immune disfunction, metabolic disorders (diabetes, thyroid) and reproductive problems.

But our story is still not over.

After we are done with our food we throw the packaging in the garbage and most Americans never even think about where it eventually ends up.

Unfortunately, much of it ends up out in the ocean.

In the Pacific Ocean today, there is a toxic stew of plastic and garbage about twice the size of the continental United States that is known as the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch".

According to a BBC report, there are now 100 times more small plastic fragments in the northeast Pacific Ocean than 40 years ago.

But most of us never even stop and think about how the food we eat is destroying our bodies and the world around us.

Most of us just go through our daily lives assuming that somehow everything is going to be okay.

But the truth is that our food is causing major problems.

Sadly, with each passing year the federal government and the big corporations get even more control over our system of food distribution.

Hopefully more Americans will wake up and will start rejecting the "food" that the system wants to cram down our throats.

We all need to start making better choices.

Growing a garden, eating organic foods and supporting local farmers are some good places to start.