• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

what is my right when police check on me

acer3939

Alfrescian
Loyal
Touch my groin. Wah! I looked at her, she look at me, ask me what's that? I ask her, you don't know meh? She touch again and smile at me. Not that I mind, :p but she ain't bad looking either. But I never proceed. Like that I considered earn tio or she earned?

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lidat ha. what happen if after she touch you then you get horny and need to go find 'release' then lidat someone else will 'earn' keke:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, contrary to popular believe, there's no law in Singapore that one must carry his/her identity card in public. But of course, carrying it makes life easier, for both the member of public and the police. In a so-called spotcheck, what the police looks for is suspucious (e.g.loitering) or undesirable (e.g. rowdiness) behaviour. The police first and foremost wants to verify the identity of the person being checked.

If you're checked while not carrying your identity card with you, you can still give your particulars verbally to the police. However, the police shall then have the discretion of believing or disbelieving you. If you're not convincing enough, or if the circumstances that you're in isn't accounted for satisfactorily, the police may detain you in station to verify your identity. Note that this doesn't amount to an arrest, at least not yet.

After the question of identity, the next things the police looks for are personal belongings, e.g. any contraband items, or even weapons etc.

The other common type of spotcheck is the roadblock, usually to look for speeding, drunk driving, driving without licence etc. traffic offences. It also checks for taxi passengers for potentially wanted fugitives. Roadblocks are usually (but necessarily) conducted between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m., as these are the most common hours for drunk drivers and wanted fugitives to move around town. And also, it causes minimal disruption to working hours traffic. However, roadblocks can also be conducted in daytime if, say, there's a robbery getaway car on the run.

Anyway, as another forummer has pointed out earlier, Singapore police is relatively tame compared to many other countries. E.g. in the US, it's common that the checking officer whips out his revolver and point at you first before talking. But in the US, even the public understand and accept that the police has to assume that all suspects are likely to be armed, given the high rate of firearms ownership, both legal and illegal. In Malaysia and Thailand, roadblocks are usually conducted with M16s pointing at your car.

Last edited:

xtrocious

Alfrescian
Loyal
Got once I was transiting thru Changi airport to the US and the oppicer at changi asked the usual stupid questions. Following is a true conversation i had with him:

Me: Morning ... (smiles at him)
Police: (silent) ... (looks at my passport and tickets) ....
me: (dum de dum)
Police: How many bags are you carrying to US?
me: Include hand carry or not?
Police: Yes.
me: 3
Police: Did you pack your bags urself?
me: Partly, my mom also help me pack. (trying to be honest mah)
Police: Are you aware of all the items in your bags?
me: I think so.
Police: (give angry face and shows a poster with all kinds of weapons drawn on it) Are any of these items in your bags?
me: I don't think so.
Police: Are there any alcoholic items in your bags?
me: Not that I know of.
Police: Yes or no?!?! Trying to be funny issit?~!?!
me: No lo.
Police: Things in your bag u dunno meh???!
me: As far as I know, dun have lo.
Police: Go la. (waves me thru)

Next time remind me not to be so honest...

Aiyah, their mental capacity is only so limited, don't tax them with so complicated answers lor...hahah

Yes and no will suffice as they are just going through the motion anyway :cool:

Grimloq69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway, as another forummer has pointed out earlier, Singapore police is relatively tame compared to many other countries. E.g. in the US, it's common that the checking officer whips out his revolver and point at you first before talking. But in the US, even the public understand and accept that the police has to assume that all suspects are likely to be armed, given the high rate of firearms ownership, both legal and illegal. In Malaysia and Thailand, roadblocks are usually conducted with M16s pointing at your car.

Nonsense, I lived in US for 7 years, and the police there are extremely friendly. Unless of course you're talking about inner city cops in places like detroit. Malaysian police are damn relak la. just chit chat with them.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys,

When police requested to check my NRIC, body search and/ or search my bag on the street for no good reason, can I reject? What is my right?

Any lawyers around?

Am not a lawyer, but they are only doing their duty, so best is to cooperate. If they are in plain clothes, then ask for their warrant card to verify that they are police and not some impersonator.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another time was there was this malay sergeant at airport doing checks. So I was brought to a corner and then she touch my pockets. Touch my groin. Wah! I looked at her, she look at me, ask me what's that? I ask her, you don't know meh? She touch again and smile at me. Not that I mind, :p but she ain't bad looking either. But I never proceed. Like that I considered earn tio or she earned?

I would say this is a win-win situation. Did you return many more times to airport to look for this sergeant to request for more checks?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nonsense, I lived in US for 7 years, and the police there are extremely friendly. Unless of course you're talking about inner city cops in places like detroit. Malaysian police are damn relak la. just chit chat with them.

I lived in the US for 6 years (mostly in San Francisco). The police there has been very friendly and helpful to me. I've never been stopped for spotchecks even once. What I mean is that when they see someone that they think worth checking, they do mean business.

Besides TV news, I've witnessed some nasty incidents live in the streets.That said, my impression of the US police might have been skewered somewhat by the Rodney King trial. Yes, in April 1992 I happened to be in Los Angeles.

wodemama

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think theres no point rejectin the officer if you have not done any thing wrong. well its their job to maintain the order and if you look suspicious den it cant be helped. just show them ur ic and get it over and done with

Bodhisattva

Alfrescian
Loyal
They conduct spot checks with a few laws in hand, just to name a few, The Weapons and Explosives Act, Misuse of Drugs Act, and the CPC Section 111. The last one entrust very vast powers with the Police, as this Section is about preventing a crime from happening. They can use it to great effect if they know their powers.

Oh they can search you in the public, and they have every right to search you in the public, but they like to do it in a discreet manner and location. They cannot strip search you in the public.

Cooperation is what they are looking for when they spot check you as they are also on their toes when they check on you, watching you every move to prevent you springing any surprise on them.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal

US police use revolver , msia and thai use M16s ???:eek: Got put on safe mode while pointing or not, misfire seow liao.