• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Majority of Jobs Created in 2009 went to Permanent Residents and not citizens

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
By John Ong

The Ministry of Manpower has recently released the 2009 employment statistics. As expected, the statistics for employment creation is broken down by residents, which comprise of Singapore citizens (SCs) and Permanent Residents (PRs), and foreigners

According the preliminary figures, the unemployment rate among residents, who include citizens and permanent residents, fell from 5 per cent last September to 3 per cent in December. (read article here http://www.temasekreview.com/2010/01/30/rise-in-employment-of-singaporeans-and-prs/)

The state media is quicked to jumped to the conclusion that the unemployment rate of Singapore citizens has decreased as well with Chinese paper Lianhe Zaobao putting up a most misleading headline – “100 per cent employment for Singaporeans.”

Over the years, true Singaporeans, i.e. Singapore citizens, have been asking for employment statistics for Singapore citizens, and not residents which distorts the actual employment situation faced by SCs on the ground.

However, MOM has stubbornly refused to publish these statistics for unknown reasons, except for an occasional paper which was published in 2008 – “Employment of Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and Foreigners,1997 to 2006″.

If MOM could publish an occasional paper which breaks down employment statistics by SCs, PRs and foreigners, surely it will be able to do so on a regular basis?

If MOM is unable to breakdown the statistics, here is an analysis to show that the majority of jobs created in 2009 went to PRs and not SCs.

From 2004 to 2006, an average of about 49,000 persons were granted permanent resident status in Singapore. This translates to a total of 147,000 new PRs from 2004 to 2006.

Based on MOM’s occasional paper, it can be computed that PRs gained a total of 62,500 jobs from 2004 to 2006.

Therefore, on average, about 62,500/147,000 = 42.5% of the new PRs found jobs/were in employment from 2004 to 2006.

In 2008, 79,167 persons were granted permanent resident status. The figure for 2009 has not been released yet. However, with government aggressive population augmentation strategy, we can safely assume that it will be higher than last year, and a consecutive estimate of 80,000 persons is assumed.

Assuming that the proportion of new PRs who found jobs/in employment in 2009 remained at 42.5%, it can be calculated that the number of jobs created for PRs in 2009 = 42.5% X 80,000 = 34,000.

With 43,000 jobs created for residents in 2009, the number of jobs created for SCs is only a measly 9,000, compared to 34,000 for PRs.

It is clear why MOM refuses to publish employment statistics for SCs only.

Nevertheless, we acknowledge that the above analysis is only an estimate. PRs could be losing jobs if all employers choose to keep all the SCs while letting the PRs go during the financial crisis.

No jobs could be created for PRs if employers refuses to hire them. However, it is common knowledge that the above scenarios are highly unlikely, especially when male SCs are subject to the annual In-Camp Training (ICT) liability of up to 40 days, and PRs enjoy similar treatment as SCs in government assistance schemes, such as the Jobs Credit.

We certainly welcome MOM, or Minister Gan Kim Yong to clarify. However, we will only believe in the hard figures broken down by SCs and PRs, and not any meaningless stories or anecdotes. Alternatively, we also welcome The Straits Times, or Today to do an alternative analysis to convince Singaporeans otherwise.

About the Author:

This article has been contributed by a reader who is writing under the pen name of John Ong. An engineer by training, he strongly believes that all Singaporeans have the right to be heard and the time is now for all of us to do the right thing.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tell me something I don't already know. But first, let me tell you something you don't seem to already know. There's no such thing as permanent resident or work permit/pass unemployment in Singapore, or anywhere else in the world.

They got their PR, WP/S because they got jobs here. If they lose their jobs and can't survive, they go back to their own countries. There's non-employment of course, e.g. PR married to citizen rich enough on single income, but there's no unemployment.

Singapore statistics count unemployment rates including all legal residents. More than 30% are foreigners already fully employed or too rich to need to be employed. Of the citizens, let's say 70%, if 10% are unemployed it'd show up on the stats as 5% only. PRs also have no pressing concerns about homeownership. Most of them already own homes in Malaysia, China etc. Bid and bid, feel too expensive, forget it. Singaporeans? Forget it? Then go Changi Beach and pitch a tent is it?

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell me something I don't already know. But first, let me tell you something you don't seem to already know. There's no such thing as permanent resident or work permit/pass unemployment in Singapore, or anywhere else in the world.

They got their PR, WP/S because they got jobs here. If they lose their jobs and can't survive, they go back to their own countries. There's non-employment of course, e.g. PR married to citizen rich enough on single income, but there's no unemployment.

Singapore statistics count unemployment rates including all legal residents. More than 30% are foreigners already fully employed or too rich to need to be employed. Of the citizens, let's say 70%, if 10% are unemployed it'd show up on the stats as 5% only. PRs also have no pressing concerns about homeownership. Most of them already own homes in Malaysia, China etc. Bid and bid, feel too expensive, forget it. Singaporeans? Forget it? Then go Changi Beach and pitch a tent is it?

I do know a few PRs that was unemployed AFTER they got a job previously. There was one PR that was retrenched.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Just to clarify.

So, when a PR losses his job, he is not counted as unemployed ( although he can still stay around in Singapore because of his length of permit ).

So, why did you say,

Singapore statistics count unemployment rates including all legal residents.

What is legal residents then?

Is it Singapore Citizens including foreigners married to Singaporean but exclude PR that losses his jobs (although they are still in Singapore)?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You all don't get the point.

5% of 5m unemployeds (citizens + PRs + WPs +EPs) are almost all Singapore citizens.

If percentage is based on all Singapore citizens, it'd be higher than 10%.

If PRs are unemployed or retrenched, they're rich enough hang around is also their business and their choice. Worse comes to worst, go back to own coutry.

If Singaporeans are unemployed, run out of money, go where?