• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ERP frustrations

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at it this way. The next election is 2011, and they have this year and next year to increase whatever price they have to increase.

As of now, PAP is lucky and I hope their luck will go out in 2011. If the economy situation did not improve by 2011, PAP will lose a few seats. As of now, fellow Singaporeans are really Tak Boleh Tahan, and if election were to be called now, Opposition would win a few seats. Unfortunately, such situation is most unlikely but not impossible - unless some catastrophic events occur and calling for election is necessary.

Come 2010, PAP will slow down every effort to price hike and starts to offer sweetener to fellow Singaporeans. Yes, moronic ones as well as willing slaves will fall into their traps; and vote for them again. Such sequence of events are recorded in my video tape and CD, and PAP borrows them to play it every 5 years. Within the video, I see morons that supported the PAP whine about price hike but openly offered their arses for PAP !!!

pradalj

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every day morning Travel through CTE to work already kanna $10+ dollars, but then the traffic is still always heavy !! Haiz no choice we are under the Lee Dynasty !!

fat bear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let do some math

Let 1 ERP Ganty earn $20k per day
Therefore let 1 month be 20 day = 20k x 20 = 400k
There are around let said 60 Ganty = 400k x 60 = 24000k

so one month we all pay around 24000k ERP??

Any body knows where all the ERP money used in??

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
July 14, 2008 ST

Join the ST Motorists Club

Calling all motorists!
The Straits Times wants to know how the rising Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) rates are affecting your driving habits.
If you drive into the city for work at least a few times a week, we would like to hear your views and track them on a regular basis.
You will be part of a survey pool of a 100 motorists called the ST Motorists Club.
Interested individuals can e-mail their name, contact details - telephone number and email address - to [email protected] to join the group.

.........:cool:

lek54

Alfrescian
Loyal
honestly, if it's for traffic control to curb jams, then start with staggered vehicles usage per week, eg. vehicles can use on tues/wed/thurs only.
What about the VAT on fuels? timely to reduce?
Anyway,life still goes on in typical S'pore...complain complain...complains!

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Businesses, motorists will be worse off in long run if ERP eased
By Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 14 July 2008 1858 hrs

SINGAPORE : Easing up on congestion charging on Singapore roads will be detrimental to both motorists and businesses in the long run, according to Transport Minister Raymond Lim.

His comments on the Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) followed complaints by motorists and businesses over higher ERP charges and added gantries.

New gantries along the Singapore River were put up a week ago. Mr Lim said initial reports have shown that traffic speeds have gone up and vehicle volume has decreased.

While some businesses within central Singapore, like in Clarke Quay, have argued that it is driving customers away, Mr Lim noted that not having ERP will be even more detrimental to retailers.

He said, "If you look at the experience in London, they have the same concern - the retail establishments. But after congestion charging was put in, their business over time actually improved. It became easier to get into London, to the restaurants there, to shops there. Similarly, the experience we had in Orchard Road was the same."

And on comments that evening ERP charging is taking a toll on family life, Mr Lim said the alternative would be to get stuck in traffic and still end up getting home late.

He said, "I think the critical decision for us as a people is that whether as a people we are willing to take sometimes difficult decisions, painful decisions, that we know will benefit Singaporeans as a whole. Or do we postpone difficult issues, difficult measures, do the popular thing and store up bigger trouble for ourselves in the future.

"We have not taken the populist road. We have said if this is the right thing to do and the situation calls for it, we would do it and in the case of congestion charging, I know it's difficult, it's an unpopular measure, motorists who are affected are unhappy, but it is something that is necessary - something that we will do so as to ensure that Singaporeans continue to enjoy living in a city, in a garden, and not a city in a carpark!"

The reality is that as cars try to avoid ERP, other roads get congested and more gantries are put up on arterial roads. So really there is no avoiding ERP.

The Transport Minister said the alternative is to take public transport.

The next phase of electronic road pricing will also see vehicles fitted with new In-vehicle Units (IUs).

The new devices are smaller and reflect not just the amount deducted from one's CashCard but also one's CashCard balance.

The dual-mode IUs will be fixed on new motorcycles starting next month, while new cars, taxis and other vehicles will have the device fixed from early next year. The cost of the new IUs is S$150, the same as the current ones.

Owners of existing vehicles can continue to use the old IUs. Motorists who wish to change to the new device may do so at LTA (Land Transport Authority) Authorised Inspection Centres. They will have to bear the full cost of replacing the IUs.

A next generation e-payment system for public transport is also coming up. All new stored-valued cards are expected to be made Contactless ePurse Application (CEPAS)-compliant.

These new generation smart cards will allow for automatic top-ups, so one will never be penalised for having insufficient funds in one's CashCard.

Funds can be deducted from various payment modes - for example, through GIRO or credit card.

Some 10,000 frequent public transport users will test out the new EZ-Link CEPAS-compliant cards between mid-August and mid-October.

Meanwhile, LTA will be extending the Expressway Monitoring Advisory System (EMAS) to 10 major arterial roads. This is to be phased in over the next four years.

A study has shown that EMAS has been effective in cutting delays on expressways, with average time savings of 24 minutes per incident. The shorter delays translate to cost savings of about S$40 million a year. - CNA/ms

.........:cool:

DTCEPL

honestly, if it's for traffic control to curb jams, then start with staggered vehicles usage per week, eg. vehicles can use on tues/wed/thurs only.

This is what the Philippines are doing, vehicles are prohibited to use the road one day in a week depending on the vehicle registration number.

But then, the ERP is a system that the Garment makes direct money (taxes) from the Citisens and other road users, like the GST (VAT), it is fast and quick money - best you can get......hooray for PAP....Pay and Pay...then come Every Road Pays - stay in Sillipore and you pay through your ass.

Best system is get every car installed a GPS related system, once you start your engine....the IU starts clicking....like the taxi meter...whahaha:biggrin:

Haranguer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is having more and more ERP is not the way to curb traffic jam. Just look at how many accident we have each day. If everyone can drive more carefully with less accident think will have less jam.

Lord Imperious

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let do some math

Let 1 ERP Ganty earn $20k per day
Therefore let 1 month be 20 day = 20k x 20 = 400k
There are around let said 60 Ganty = 400k x 60 = 24000k

so one month we all pay around 24000k ERP??

Any body knows where all the ERP money used in??

Performance bonus for Minister of Transport :biggrin:

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
the way i see it, the ERP is not a solution in effect. if the bulk of sg population r holding jobs in town, n if the majority of working hours start at 0830~0900hrs, the surge of traffic regardless in form of transport and/or human will naturally flock towards the direction during the morning rush.

they can erect ERP gantries for as far as it may reach the doorsteps of the residents, nothing's going to stop ppl from going to work. hence, the concept of having ERP to deter human and/or transport traffic in itself is already flawed.

instead, they could consider alternatives of bringing ppl to work.

ideas to be considered:
1. re-allocating industries & businesses to the outer rims of the island - where ppl living in the extreme corners of the island can find ease in commuting to & from work... hence, minimizing on traffic flow into the city

2. introduce newer transportation system via waterbody - coastal-hooking is feasible. ferry services have been set in place & long since been in use in many foreign countries, n have proven to reduce traffic congestion in the already saturated cities. we have the singapore river & marina south within vicinity of the offices in town.... y have they not considered??

3. going green? reduce carbon emission?? perhaps they should launch the initiative for ppl to adopt human powered mode of transport instead? china & holland have been doing so for eons... nobody seems to complain too much about it. not to mention, it also helps to promote a healthier lifestyle for deskbound professionals.

xtrocious

Alfrescian
Loyal
the way i see it, the ERP is not a solution in effect. if the bulk of sg population r holding jobs in town, n if the majority of working hours start at 0830~0900hrs, the surge of traffic regardless in form of transport and/or human will naturally flock towards the direction during the morning rush.

they can erect ERP gantries for as far as it may reach the doorsteps of the residents, nothing's going to stop ppl from going to work. hence, the concept of having ERP to deter human and/or transport traffic in itself is already flawed.

ideas to be considered:
1. re-allocating industries & businesses to the outer rims of the island - where ppl living in the extreme corners of the island can find ease in commuting to & from work... hence, minimizing on traffic flow into the city

2. introduce newer transportation system via waterbody - coastal-hooking is feasible. ferry services have been set in place & long since been in use in many foreign countries, n have proven to reduce traffic congestion in the already saturated cities. we have the singapore river & marina south within vicinity of the offices in town.... y have they not considered??

3. going green? reduce carbon emission?? perhaps they should launch the initiative for ppl to adopt human powered mode of transport instead? china & holland have been doing so for eons... nobody seems to complain too much about it. not to mention, it also helps to promote a healthier lifestyle for deskbound professionals.

Agreed, the solutions you suggested are probably workable if the LTA is less concerned about making $$$...

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agreed, the solutions you suggested are probably workable if the LTA is less concerned about making $$$...
as usual, alota the bummers sitting right on top, inside some of these offices r basically recycled from ex-uniformed corps, or if not... have been working in there for a long long time. n the only thing they know best is to play safe... follow protocol; refer to movie "just follow law".

its clear n apparent that they havent really thought of solutions, but only been introducing 1 problem after another. at the end of the day, its basically a game of; digging 1 hole to patch up an exisiting 1. nobody gains anything... bt for generations to come, more will suffer.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
our island is small, landspace limited, hence road widening in some places are obviously not feasible. but there's always ways to consider stacking the roads.

in other bigger cities, they build multi-tiered roads & highways to accomodate the vast number of cars, as well as to facilitate smoother traffic flow for motorists to by-pass the filters, allowing them faster ETA to destinations.

with so much underground tunneling, r we certain that it is all that safe, amidst the complex network of underground gass pipes, electrical trunks, water & sewage tracks?

very soon, they might have to use decommissioned SAF helicopters for taxi services liao.

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what the Philippines are doing, vehicles are prohibited to use the road one day in a week depending on the vehicle registration number.

But then, the ERP is a system that the Garment makes direct money (taxes) from the Citisens and other road users, like the GST (VAT), it is fast and quick money - best you can get......hooray for PAP....Pay and Pay...then come Every Road Pays - stay in Sillipore and you pay through your ass.

Best system is get every car installed a GPS related system, once you start your engine....the IU starts clicking....like the taxi meter...whahaha:biggrin:

That's coming REAL soon. They are testing the system already, and will be looking to launch it at 2012.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal

ideas to be considered:
1. re-allocating industries & businesses to the outer rims of the island.....

2. introduce newer transportation system via waterbody - coastal-hooking is feasible......

3. going green? reduce carbon emission?? perhaps they should launch the initiative for ppl to adopt human powered mode of transport instead?.....
Seems to me you've some pretty sound idea and practical solutions. A pity that you're not running for elections. For if you do, I'm sure you've a list of pretty good manifestos that would earn the favours of many. For one, your ideas in the air make pretty good sense to me, and I believe well-spoken for many others too.

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imagine there are 2 roads (A & B) leading to a same destination.

ERP implemented on road A. Traffic will be diverted to road B. Then ERP will also be implemented on road B. At the end of the day, traffic situation back to square one, but both roads now will have ERP. ERP becomes 'Every Road Pay'. :(

ERP is not a good solution for traffic situation.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imagine there are 2 roads (A & B) leading to a same destination.

ERP implemented on road A. Traffic will be diverted to road B. Then ERP will also be implemented on road B. At the end of the day, traffic situation back to square one, but both roads now will have ERP. ERP becomes 'Every Road Pay'. :(

ERP is not a good solution for traffic situation.
I think Suteerak1099 pointed some solutions that made perfect sense on this issue. The congestion will continue to increase if more people are employed in the CBD. The heavier traffic flow will also continue to rise-which leads to increase of transport going into the city. Very soon there will be a need for bus convoys to ferry people to work.

His point of re-allocating industries to the outer rims is ambitious but I think is sustainable. It gives people reason to quickly occupy the still vacant housing in the far ends, and have less to worry about $ & time taken commuting to work. Hence, accelerating the developments in those regions, stirring up a healthier economy.

Implementing the so-called "coastal-hook" transportation system is also quite valid. Our island is surrounded by water, for commuters to use ferry services to reach the heart of the city can be swifter, as there's no congestion. This also helps to minimize the number of vehicles require to enter the city.

I think his ideas may have already tackled a big chunk of the problem, and if this really does get implemented, I think he should be credited as the brain-child behind this.

xtrocious

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway, I read on a blog (I can't remember which one) that the so-called increase in speed after the implementation of the Singapore River line is just marginal and over that short stretch of road, how much time can one really save?

Again, we see the stupidity of LTA at work here...

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway, I read on a blog (I can't remember which one) that the so-called increase in speed after the implementation of the Singapore River line is just marginal and over that short stretch of road, how much time can one really save?

Again, we see the stupidity of LTA at work here...
We will never have enough roads to accomadate the traffic. We see more bottlenecking situations as time flies.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Suteerak1099 pointed some solutions that made perfect sense on this issue........ I think his ideas may have already tackled a big chunk of the problem, and if this really does get implemented, I think he should be credited as the brain-child behind this.
thanks for the compliments. in the army we're encouraged to be thinking soldier, i had the privilege to be sent for WITS facilitator course during my term, n i guess its perfectly normal for any dutiful sgporean to propose legit ideas, instead of sulking at the misery.

the only difference is, if we make ourselves heard, n if it still falls on deaf ears... then there's cause to complain. frankly, credit or not if the idea gets implemented wont make any difference, since i'm nt on the payroll. on the contrary, being 1 among the millions that contributes to their's.

if its any consolation, at least we know who sprouted the idea.... hehehehehe.