• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ERP frustrations

kapitan_kirk

I'm really frustrated with the ERP system.. and connected to this, the mainstream media.

Let's take the first one. The ERP.

When I first noticed the new gantries going up, I was totally puzzled. Why? Simply because the roads they were going up on were simply not crowded! As least not crowded during peak hours to warrant such a move. Before long, the newspaper articles started selling the idea.. about how ERP "helps" businesses... and on the first day of the launch, yet other articles showcased the non-impact of the ERP.

I am also questioning the timing of this. High food prices, High inflation, Possible economic challenges. Yet... this? I can understand if any government chooses a "robbing peter to pay paul" strategy, but what I cannot reconcile is the fact that the money we pay does not come back, at least not easily. There's no real welfare; it must be earned they say.

I've always chosen to turn a blind eye to the compliant media, but this IS the last straw! *grr*

Any other examples you guys can pick up? Let's raise the general awareness so more will not follow blindly...

KK

director66

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm really frustrated with the ERP system.. and connected to this, the mainstream media.

Let's take the first one. The ERP.

When I first noticed the new gantries going up, I was totally puzzled. Why? Simply because the roads they were going up on were simply not crowded! As least not crowded during peak hours to warrant such a move. Before long, the newspaper articles started selling the idea.. about how ERP "helps" businesses... and on the first day of the launch, yet other articles showcased the non-impact of the ERP.

I am also questioning the timing of this. High food prices, High inflation, Possible economic challenges. Yet... this? I can understand if any government chooses a "robbing peter to pay paul" strategy, but what I cannot reconcile is the fact that the money we pay does not come back, at least not easily. There's no real welfare; it must be earned they say.

I've always chosen to turn a blind eye to the compliant media, but this IS the last straw! *grr*

Any other examples you guys can pick up? Let's raise the general awareness so more will not follow blindly...

KK

Bro,

the standard of living is growing at a very fast pace, just need to catch up.
Was astonished to note that an average S'porean earns abt 4k+ a month last year. I'm quite below the average...and i really wonder is everyone really earning so much a month? I'm a degree holder working a decent job yet my income is 1k below the average income. Either the figures are shewed or i'm really under-earning.

Anyway, in response to your question, it's not that ppl aren't aware, they're just well-off enough not to care :smile:

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm....driving in sg really is becoming more and more expensive, not oni ERP, petrol price hike like wise also a killer. Just like superman, up up and away.....:o

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hit by the Hikes — Creative Cost Cutting

SINGAPORE: Courier company boss Wilson Gomas found himself in a bind this week — before he could even decide if higher petrol and Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) costs could be passed on to customers without a drastic drop in business, three of his 14 dispatch riders threatened to quit if he didn’t increase their transport allowance.

The $15 they each get daily was no longer enough to pay for trips in and out of the Central Business District, and the riders were asking for a $5 increase.
Yet, with the courier business so “competitive”, Mr Gomas, the managing director of Wilson Courier Services, fears the backlash from clients if he raises delivery fees by $2 — $1 for higher petrol prices and $1 for ERP gantry charges.
Like Mr Gomas, players in the logistics and sales industry told Today they have been hit hard by the spike in transport costs — diesel and petrol prices have climbed steadily over the past year and more ERP gantries have been installed and charges revised.
While some are mulling over the option of increasing their employees’ transport allowance, others are trying to cut costs in creative ways.
A furniture retailer said he would probably increase his sales staff’s monthly transport allowance by $100, from the current $500.
“The staff need to go around to see clients and take measurements onsite, and some of them are now taking a bus instead of a cab when they can,” said the retailer, who declined to be named.
He currently imposes a $25 delivery charge for purchases below $100, and said the minimum purchase sum may be raised to avoid a dive in profits. But increasing delivery charges is out of question for now, as the furniture retail market is “price—sensitive”.
Moving company Shalom Movers has seen a 30 per cent hike in transport bills, but instead of passing on costs to customers, “we just have to expand faster and innovate”, said its sales manager Gideon Lam. For instance, the company is integrating operations by manufacturing its own packaging.
To help employees save money, Shalom allows its 20 sales and 80 delivery staff to drive company vehicles home. Delivery drivers and assistants living in the same area are also paired as a team and car pool to work, said Mr Lam.
Over at companies with sizeable sales forces, “a handful” have adjusted their travel allowances, according to human resource firm The GMP Group.
The increase is “small”, typically about $100 a month, said its corporate services senior manager Josh Goh. This is because employers “do not want to stretch themselves in the current uncertain business climate”.
Sales staff also appear hesitant to ask for an increase. Household appliances salesman Desmond Gui, 41, said he has been using his sales commission and meal allowance to foot higher transport costs.
“Companies are also facing higher costs, so we haven’t asked for an increase. ERP used to be something that’s good to have, but now it doesn’t make sense anymore,” he said.
Meanwhile, Mr Gomas started distributing flyers to customers yesterday, explaining why a price hike was necessary. According to him, many courier companies are increasing their charges by $1 to $2 per trip. This is because courier firms generally do not have the financial muscle to absorb higher costs — and with many dispatch riders already earning less than $1,500 a month, begrudging them an increase in allowance is hard, said Mr Gomas.
“I told the three staff not to quit first and to give me until Friday — that’s when I will see the customers’ reaction. Hopefully, the loyal ones will stay with me,” he said. — TODAY/sh
<script> YAHOO.EU.Messenger = new Messenger(); var sStoryHeadline=&quot;Hit by the Hikes — Creative Cost Cutting&quot;+'%0A'; var sStoryLink=&quot;http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/200807...creative-cost-cutting-231650b.html&quot;+' '; var sDefaultMsg = 'Check out this story on Yahoo! News:'; </script>

Guess not only individuals like us huh.:o

glock

Alfrescian
Loyal
maybe they think public transport underutilise, want to force people to take it more, even if have car

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmmm....driving in sg really is becoming more and more expensive, not oni ERP, petrol price hike like wise also a killer. Just like superman, up up and away.....:o

Talk about inflation, it all started off from the housing! Look at how much housing has increase over the last 12-15 months!

ERP, sigh dont drive or take taxi lor

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talk about inflation, it all started off from the housing! Look at how much housing has increase over the last 12-15 months!

ERP, sigh dont drive or take taxi lor

If government wanna proceed with e flation, they will find ways to do it bah.
oledi try my best not to take taxi too frequently liao. Driving hor not so soon. :p

blahzzz

ERP prices now is just crazy la... even if you want to take bus now, bus fare also going to increase. cab fare also increase... walk the best?

global25

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is inflation everywhere. ERP cost will increase with time. More gantries will appear everywhere.

Every countries have their methods to curb car off the road. Non is popular with the general public.

Public transport is a good choice given the infrastructure here.

techiedick

Alfrescian
Loyal
what can you do?

when the time comes, for you to decide the new parliament, you will chicken out again and start rationalising that the ERP is the right thing to do, transport fares increases are justifiable, ministers' pay are to retain good ppl, poor has to work harder to feed themselves, annuities are good when you have no CPF to top up, etc... $ $ $ everything is money in these times of governing..

Next, malborotan will say if u are not happy u dun have to be here, but still get elected.

blame who? blame ourselves.... even if we dun have to vote in opposition and we can still do something. Dun just sit there and complain.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Bro,

Was astonished to note that an average S'porean earns abt 4k+ a month last year. I'm quite below the average...and i really wonder is everyone really earning so much a month? I'm a degree holder working a decent job yet my income is 1k below the average income. Either the figures are shewed or i'm really under-earning.

Anyway, in response to your question, it's not that ppl aren't aware, they're just well-off enough not to care :smile:

take it easy bro, you're not alone. i'm about 1K off that average mark too.

Qns: how long have you been in the work force? i've been slogging for the past half a decade at least...

Sammael

Alfrescian
Loyal
take it easy bro, you're not alone. i'm about 1K off that average mark too.

Qns: how long have you been in the work force? i've been slogging for the past half a decade at least...

If I throw in my bonuses I too am about 1k off. Been in the work force for the past 6 1/2 years and still looking for my big break. :(

kapitan_kirk

what can you do?

when the time comes, for you to decide the new parliament, you will chicken out again and start rationalising that the ERP is the right thing to do, transport fares increases are justifiable, ministers' pay are to retain good ppl, poor has to work harder to feed themselves, annuities are good when you have no CPF to top up, etc... $ $ $ everything is money in these times of governing..

Next, malborotan will say if u are not happy u dun have to be here, but still get elected.

blame who? blame ourselves.... even if we dun have to vote in opposition and we can still do something. Dun just sit there and complain.

I guess it's a catch-22 situation. I'm not for voting in the opposition if the opposition is not credible...

Actually, I do believe we SHOULD sit here and complain. But do it big-time and do it loud.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well i guess there's really noting much we can do or stop e current erp tingy other then post our frustrations here. Better than bottled up and turn violent.:biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
If I throw in my bonuses I too am about 1k off. Been in the work force for the past 6 1/2 years and still looking for my big break. :(

erm... we're talking 'bout monthly pay being 1K off the mark, right?

or do you mean you're 1K off the mark for the annual income after throwing in the bonuses???

dominion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

what kind of degree you hold? from where?
im quite surprised its 4k too... maybe because they calculate ministers pay inside, thats why pull up by so much