• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Beijing police shut down "Mr Gay China" pageant

G

General Veers

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="560"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" valign="top" width="550">
Beijing police shut down "Mr Gay China" pageant <!-- TITLE : end-->
<!--
Organizers had hoped the pageant, featuring swimwear contests and a freestyle talent display, would be a milestone. -Reuters --> </td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr> <td colspan="2" align="left" valign="top" width="550"> <table> <tbody><tr> <td> <table> <tbody><tr><td>
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr><td class="content_subtitle" align="left"> Sat, Jan 16, 2010
Reuters
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td align="right" width="400"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="right" valign="top">
but_printfriendly.gif
</td> <td height="15">
blank.gif
</td> <td align="right" valign="top"> <form action="emailToFriend.jsp" method="POST" name="emailToFriendForm"> <input name="emailToFriendPageURL" value="/vgn-ext-templating/asiaone/emailToFriend.jsp?vgnextoid=9e218b327b436210VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d4b68b0ae8722110VgnVCM100000bd0a0a0aRCRD" type="hidden"> <input name="emailToFriendStoryLink" value="http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20100116-192233.html" type="hidden">
but_email.gif
</form> <script> function openEmailA1AdminWindow(emailToFriendForm) { var emailToFriendPageURL = emailToFriendForm.emailToFriendPageURL.value; emailToFriendForm.action = emailToFriendPageURL; emailToFriendForm.target="_blank"; emailToFriendForm.submit(); } </script> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td><td>
</td></tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="3" class="bodytext_10pt"> <!-- CONTENT : start -->
BEIJING - Beijing police Friday shut down what organizers had billed as China's first gay pageant, saying it did not have a license. The winner of "Mr. Gay China" was supposed to represent China at a global event to be held in Norwegian capital Oslo next month, which has never before featured a mainland Chinese representative. :eek:

"It's heart-breaking," said gay rights activist Xiao Gang, who was to have been one of the judges. "They've done this kind of thing before, not giving any explanation, just saying you have not applied. Of course, there is an element of homophobia to this. But there's nothing political about this event."

Police on the scene, at an upmarket Beijing bar, declined to comment and took down identities of foreign reporters present. The forced cancellation took place as Germany's openly gay foreign minister, Guido Westerwelle, was visiting China. Organizers had hoped the pageant, featuring swimwear contests and a freestyle talent display, would be a milestone event heralding a change in the Chinese society's traditionally conservative attitude toward homosexuality.

Homosexuality was still classified by the Chinese government as a mental illness until 2001 and gay activists are still regularly harassed by Chinese authorities, though Beijing and Shanghai have thriving gay scenes despite periodic police raids. "The authorities did not contact us beforehand," said one of the organizers, Ryan Dutcher, 29, an American resident of Beijing.

"I can't say that I'm surprised," he said. "It's something that's happened before, so I wouldn't say it's a step backwards, but it's definitely not a step forward. "The gay community here in the four years that I've been in Beijing -- it's a difference between night and day. It's much better than it was before. I'm not saying things are going to get worse. Things are only going to get better." In recent months China has been stepping up a crackdown on freedom of expression, arresting dissidents and closing websites.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Alex Richardson)

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great news! I was worried for a moment

Next step is to round up all the contestants and neuter them

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the gay bars are still around, then they are still forgiving to a certain extend.:wink: Do but do quitely, don't blow your horn so loud in PRC:rolleyes:

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Naaaah I prefer the old sent them for re-education. :biggrin:

Re-education is a long process which takes up alot of state resources

Chemical neutering and electroshock theraphy are better alternatives for deviant behaviour