• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Who will be Mr Gay China?

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal

chinagay1.jpg

The Mr Gay China pageant is coming up and contestant David Wu is a bit worried.

It’s not the underwear competition that’s making him jittery – he’s been working out harder than usual to get ready. And he’s looking forward to the opportunity to meet other “comrades,” as gay men in China are called.

Just one thing troubles the handsome 30-year-old: His parents don’t know he’s gay.

“Most Chinese media won’t cover it (the pageant), so I think it’s unlikely that my parents will find out about me because of this event,” said Wu, from the southwestern city of Chengdu. “On the other hand, if they did ... maybe it’s a good opportunity to tell them.”

Featuring a fashion show and a host in drag, Mr Gay China, set for Friday night in the capital city of Beijing, is the country’s first gay pageant, marking another step towards greater awareness of homosexuals in a country where gays are frequently discriminated against and ostracised. Eight men compete for the title and a spot in the Worldwide Mr Gay pageant, to be held next month in Oslo, Norway.

Organiser Ben Zhang said the main purpose of the pageant was to help people realize that there is a thriving gay community in China.

“We are trying to make the Chinese public understand that we are not just sissies, we’re not psychos, we’re not HIV-infected diseased patients,” Zhang said at a recent media event. “We are sunny and sexy and trendy and intelligent people, and we’re living among you.”

Gay rights in China have come a long way since the years just after the 1949 communist revolution when homosexuality was considered a disease from the decadent West and feudal societies, and gay people were persecuted. Sodomy was decriminalised in 1997, and homosexuality was finally removed from the official list of mental disorders in 2001.

But tellingly, all the contestants interviewed asked The Associated Press to use their English names instead of Chinese names, to better protect their identities at home. While treatment of gays has improved in recent years, many are still reticent to draw attention to their homosexuality, particularly in the workplace.

“Right now, society doesn’t understand because they don’t know about gays. Once they know more about me, then they will understand me,” said Andrew Muyi, 25, a contestant from the Xinjiang region in far western China.

China is officially atheistic, and without religious reasons for opposing homosexuality, attitudes are slowly shifting among city dwellers from one of intolerance to indifference.

http://www.dailychilli.com/news/1840-who-will-be-mr-gay-china

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Impressed by the progressive attitude. Read that 10% of any given population is gay. So why not accept the face and recognize these individuals for their abilities instead.

chinagay1.jpg

The Mr Gay China pageant is coming up and contestant David Wu is a bit worried.

It’s not the underwear competition that’s making him jittery – he’s been working out harder than usual to get ready. And he’s looking forward to the opportunity to meet other “comrades,” as gay men in China are called.

Just one thing troubles the handsome 30-year-old: His parents don’t know he’s gay.

“Most Chinese media won’t cover it (the pageant), so I think it’s unlikely that my parents will find out about me because of this event,” said Wu, from the southwestern city of Chengdu. “On the other hand, if they did ... maybe it’s a good opportunity to tell them.”

Featuring a fashion show and a host in drag, Mr Gay China, set for Friday night in the capital city of Beijing, is the country’s first gay pageant, marking another step towards greater awareness of homosexuals in a country where gays are frequently discriminated against and ostracised. Eight men compete for the title and a spot in the Worldwide Mr Gay pageant, to be held next month in Oslo, Norway.

Organiser Ben Zhang said the main purpose of the pageant was to help people realize that there is a thriving gay community in China.

“We are trying to make the Chinese public understand that we are not just sissies, we’re not psychos, we’re not HIV-infected diseased patients,” Zhang said at a recent media event. “We are sunny and sexy and trendy and intelligent people, and we’re living among you.”

Gay rights in China have come a long way since the years just after the 1949 communist revolution when homosexuality was considered a disease from the decadent West and feudal societies, and gay people were persecuted. Sodomy was decriminalised in 1997, and homosexuality was finally removed from the official list of mental disorders in 2001.

But tellingly, all the contestants interviewed asked The Associated Press to use their English names instead of Chinese names, to better protect their identities at home. While treatment of gays has improved in recent years, many are still reticent to draw attention to their homosexuality, particularly in the workplace.

“Right now, society doesn’t understand because they don’t know about gays. Once they know more about me, then they will understand me,” said Andrew Muyi, 25, a contestant from the Xinjiang region in far western China.

China is officially atheistic, and without religious reasons for opposing homosexuality, attitudes are slowly shifting among city dwellers from one of intolerance to indifference.

http://www.dailychilli.com/news/1840-who-will-be-mr-gay-china

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of all the things China has done right this time!! :biggrin:

Chinese police shut down country's first gay pageant
Contestant-Simon-Wang-hea-001.jpg

Mr Gay China branded a 'sensitive issue' by officials but event would benefit whole country, say campaigners

Tania Branigan in Beijing
guardian.co.uk, Friday 15 January 2010 17.54 GMT

Contestant Simon Wang hears the Mr Gay China contest has been cancelled. Photograph: Dan Chung

Chinese police shut down the country's first gay pageant tonight, just one hour before the event was due to begin.

Participants hoped the contest would help challenge domestic stereotypes about homosexuality, classified as a mental illness until 2001, and show the rest of the world that gay people could be accepted in China. But officers arrived at a Beijing nightclub shortly before the Mr Gay China competition started and told organisers it was not properly licensed. They are understood to have told the venue's owners that it was "a sensitive issue".

The event was to feature a swimwear round and talent section, but contestants would also have been judged on their ability to represent the gay community. The winner was to take part in the Mr Gay Worldwide final in Norway next month.

"I'm about to cry," said Xue Fei, one of the eight contestants. "We really wanted to promote the sunny side of gay people."

He said he believed the pageant had already achieved some of its aims because advance coverage had highlighted gay issues.

But he added: "It's been a long time since China's reform and opening policies began and I think it really should follow the steps of the international world.

"In China, the population of gay people is large, but many of them cannot live in the sunshine. I really hope we can live with our heads held high and face the world happily."

Another participant, Simon Wang, said he was "disappointed, but not surprised". He added: "I think maybe the reason it was cancelled was because they had too much publicity."

The police officers who came to the venue were friendly and asked questions about homosexuality, said Ryan Dutcher, one of the organisers.

He added: "I'm very disappointed because we worked hard for this event, but I don't see it as a major step back.

"Anyone who's been in China has seen how much the gay community has grown and how people – even the authorities – have become more accepting."

The organisers had hoped the contest would be acceptable to officials because of other recent events. Last year, activists in Beijing held a gay film festival for the first time; previous attempts in 2001 and 2005 were shut down. Shanghai saw the first gay pride festival on the mainland, although some events were cancelled, despite attempts to keep it low-key.

"I think this is a very stupid decision because showing the beauty of gay people to the world is a very positive thing," said Wan Yanhai, a well-known gay rights activist, who arrived at the venue after hearing of the cancellation.

"It would have fostered a good international image of China and benefited not only gay people here, but also China as a whole, because it would have shown the image of a harmonious society with gay people living happily in China."

Gay sex was decriminalised in 1997, but Sara Davis, executive director of the US-based Asia Catalyst, which supports grassroots activists, said the authorities' attitudes towards gay events were still very mixed. "There are progressive elements which show recognising people as gay is not a threat to the government's stability, but also very conservative elements who are threatened by this activity."

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Awww shucks.

Perhaos they should not have played up the PR as much. Run a few such events first then hype it more.

Good thing is that the event was well covered in China, people talk about it.

Good thing was that there was no bashing of heads, etc etc:

"The police officers who came to the venue were friendly and asked questions about homosexuality, said Ryan Dutcher, one of the organisers."

Very similar even in 1st world nations with liberals vs conservatives having differing views. Good thing is there is talk, no one was hurt and perhaps if they toned it down a little they can carry it off.

"Gay sex was decriminalised in 1997, but Sara Davis, executive director of the US-based Asia Catalyst, which supports grassroots activists, said the authorities' attitudes towards gay events were still very mixed. "There are progressive elements which show recognising people as gay is not a threat to the government's stability, but also very conservative elements who are threatened by this activity."