• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why are we losing $$ to oversees Companies

slohand2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was just thinking.. The average Singaporean's wealth was or going to be decimated by their involvements with products from overseas, primarily the US. Why is it that home spun companies were not able to fill in this need. For example, if AIA sees it profitable to set up shop here, what are the likes of Great Eastern or NTUC INCOME doing with their market share ? Why is it that they are so popular that they garner a large share of the domestic market ?

In the same vein. the banks seems to be distributing derivatives products such as the Lehman Minibond series which are widely held. Couldnt our local banks structure products that are more responsible ? The need (rather than the greed of earning 5 percent or more) for their retirement nesteggs is driving them there. I feel strongly that the paltry sums offered by the local banks, is not necessary as their earnings will show you. How about our local wealth funds? They claim to earn 18 percent for the last donkey years, shouldnt they be handling some of the products and share their expertise in securing a higher yield. All talk and no positive action is not comforting.

The SGX lists alot of Mainland Chinese companies which are often in the news for failing to meet accounting standards. It appears to me that Singapore is just a big time reseller.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was just thinking.. The average Singaporean's wealth was or going to be decimated by their involvements with products from overseas, primarily the US. Why is it that home spun companies were not able to fill in this need. For example, if AIA sees it profitable to set up shop here, what are the likes of Great Eastern or NTUC INCOME doing with their market share ? Why is it that they are so popular that they garner a large share of the domestic market ?

In the same vein. the banks seems to be distributing derivatives products such as the Lehman Minibond series which are widely held. Couldnt our local banks structure products that are more responsible ? The need (rather than the greed of earning 5 percent or more) for their retirement nesteggs is driving them there. I feel strongly that the paltry sums offered by the local banks, is not necessary as their earnings will show you. How about our local wealth funds? They claim to earn 18 percent for the last donkey years, shouldnt they be handling some of the products and share their expertise in securing a higher yield. All talk and no positive action is not comforting.

The SGX lists alot of Mainland Chinese companies which are often in the news for failing to meet accounting standards. It appears to me that Singapore is just a big time reseller.

They know of no other ways !

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about our local wealth funds? They claim to earn 18 percent for the last donkey years, shouldnt they be handling some of the products and share their expertise in securing a higher yield. All talk and no positive action is not comforting.

The local wealth funds are extremely local. In other words, the returns are not meant for you and I.

Their "expertise" is in making your money disappear from your hands and reappear as assets in those funds for them to splurge.

Say good bye to your money.