• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mr JBJ took famiLEE LEEgime to court for By-Election in Bukit Batok

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Laudable effort by JBJ but as constitutional law expert Dr Kevin Tan said in Today probably "futile" as JBJ's legal basis appears to be weak. However I think the positive upside in this episode shall be the awareness factor and getting the public more vexed and worked up at the unfairness of such one sided PAP legislation which in effect disenfranchises the electorate and only favours the incumbent 2/3 plus majority PAP govt

Constitution law experts say Mr Jeyaretnam is unlikely to succeed. Professor Kevin Tan, an adjunct professor at the National University of Singapore, said it would be a “futile” effort by Mr Jeyaretnam because the clause in the Constitution that Mr Jeyaretnam is basing his argument on was clear and “does not create an obligation on the part of the Government to hold by-elections”.
“It does not say ‘shall hold elections’ but ‘shall hold elections according to the terms and conditions set out in the Parliamentary Elections Act’,” said Prof Tan.
If lawmakers at the time had that intention to make by-elections mandatory when a seat was vacated, the law would have read “shall hold elections within three months in accordance with the terms and procedures set out in the Parliamentary Elections Act”, he added.
“(Mr Jeyaretnam) clearly wants to test how the court will read Article 49 ... The issues have already been ventilated. I think it’s a futile exercise but I would love to watch it from the sidelines nonetheless,” Prof Tan said.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP must follow law they set for GRC, otherwise do away with GRC to save future problems.

They dont follow law, they made the law. The constitution had been plundered and raped beyond recognition. GRC is a product of tyranny and it wont be done away, it has to be removed:p

Cheers.:biggrin:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tactically, this is an exciting move.

In terms of chess, it is akin to moving your queen in a diagonal span straight into enemy territory and check the king.

How it will turn out though, is anybody's guess.

WP will never have this kind of move. WP view this kind of move confrontational. And they don't like confrontational move. Which I think its silly. How to do non confrontational politics in 21st century? Sing song, write poem, nudge nudge, hint hint the emperor to move in the right direction?? Subtle hinting here and there like a bor lumpar eunuch telling grand father stories to the emperor to hint the emperor? Pray that emperor will listen?

Non confrontational politics, thats oxymoron.

Chia Tse Li

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why bye election now? No job.No money.No savings.No income. What bye election!!! Don't waste everybody's time. Go and sleep lah! Bye election! My toe lah!! Give me a job and spare me a dollar can???

Hey, bingo! You are right! No job, no money, no savings, no income... what is this PAP government doing? Stop using the excuse of the so called worldwide economic recession, this is not entirely relevant, no even sure if it is even 50% relevant. The PAP government had hoarded huge reserves and have earned enormous bucks from Singaporeans...we know how much are the PAP government revenues each year. What increase GST to 7% to help the poor? My foot lah! If this is so, I think people won't be lamenting ver having no job having no income, etc. It is time to pressure the government to do something for the people and not for their own selfish gains. And having by election under such a situation which arose is but a very apt and right way to exercise the pressure. The people want to be represented by the right people whom the people want to choose. We cannot be denied of the right to choose and elect the MP as sufficient and meaningful representation is so important other than just harping on sharing the municipal loads.

Chia Tse Li

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey Char_jig_kar

you are right! What is non confrontational politics? Absurd. If opposition political parties refrain themselves from confronting the government when there are such much doubts which exist, then what for be an oppositon political party... it lost its meaning to exist as one. It is also a subtle submission and giving in to that fear which the one in control has instilled. We can confront our family members, we can confront our friends, colleagues, we will even confront our bosses... but when it comes to confronting the government, so many freak out. I realise that the more we won't take up that courage to do it, the more fearful we become. However, each time as we pluck up a little courage to step forward bit by bit, time after time, that fear at the same time diminishes bit by bit, by and by and we get more courageous. It ought to begin somewhere.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
They dont follow law, they made the law. The constitution had been plundered and raped beyond recognition. GRC is a product of tyranny and it wont be done away, it has to be removed:p

Cheers.:biggrin:

Even if JBJ did not suceed in forcing a by-election, the ploy of GRC as a tool of the PAP is being exposed.

Well done JBJ!

jw5

Loyal
Even if JBJ did not suceed in forcing a by-election, the ploy of GRC as a tool of the PAP is being exposed.

Well done JBJ!
JBJ is Singapore's hero.
The GRC is a political tool, but the opposition should try their utmost to capture one.
A loss of 5 to 6 MPs at one go will be a big blow to the pap.