• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'pore AIA policyholders largely relieved after US govt bailout!!!!

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It will need at least US$200B to bail out. Must inject the money one shot not slowly slowly inject few billion at one time.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will need at least US$200B to bail out. Must inject the money one shot not slowly slowly inject few billion at one time.

If I'm not wrong, the $85B is not a bailout, it's too little. It's for avoiding a catastrophic AIG bowl out. I would say it's prudent for AIA policy holders to play safe and retreat.

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another SPH propaganda to ease tension and calm the public?? Guess AIG will have a new piece of newspaper cutting to paste on their windows.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I'm not wrong, the $85B is not a bailout, it's too little. It's for avoiding a catastrophic AIG bowl out. I would say it's prudent for AIA policy holders to play safe and retreat.

Does AIA Singapore and others have 1 trillion liquidity !
When one day inevitable unemployment comes again in second and third wave !
50% of AIA clients bailout alone !

Final stab of the company with another 25% bailouts !

The top heavy assurance companies can start emptying copier papers !

Start looking at the classified !

Last edited:

Hamlin

Alfrescian
Loyal
the USD 85B is a loan from the fed to help AIG float. Which means, AIG is now in USD 85B debts.

And another 19bil in interest if it decides to draw down the credit line. They still have to reslove the issues.. and like I mentioned at the other thread they may be more writedowns if more banking instutitions go belly up.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the second day hundreds of anxious policyholders lined up in the hot sun outside the Singapore offices of global insurance giant American International Group (AIG) Thursday, despite a US government bailout of the firm.

Hundreds more -- some vowing to terminate their policies -- were already inside the offices of AIG and its wholly-owned subsidiary, American International Assurance Company Limited (AIA).

They had returned after lining up on Wednesday without getting served.

Many in the crowd were unmoved by an announcement from the US Federal Reserve that the United States government would give an unprecedented loan of up to US$85 billion to AIG in a bid to avert a global financial calamity.

i will wait and see.

joker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
i will wait and see.

Wise move. An insurance company (AIA) is different from an investment bank (Lehman) let alone it is a subsidairy in another country. An insurance company subsidiary in another country is regulated by tough insurance laws by the local regulators like commercial banks and their assets are separated from the holding company. In my opinion, an investment bank is NOT a bank. They borrow from capital markets to fund their investments. It is just serving high net worth clients and doing investments. The whole biz model is flawed. They have no mass market deposits for one to start off. Insurance subsidiaries are different. They can survive even if the holding co is liquidated. It happened before in the past. Read article below.

According to latest news, the subsidiaries in India, Thailand , Japan, etc are healthy and no rush by policies holders to cash out except Sinkapor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from CNN,

On Tuesday night, the federal government announced an $85 billion rescue of the company.

Despite the company's importance, the average citizen is probably not sure how, or why, its problems will affect them.

Here are two key questions and answers about AIG's current woes and what they mean to you.

I have insurance through AIG. How worried should I be about the problems at the company?

At least in the short term, you probably don't need to be worried at all. The problems are with the AIG holding company, not the individual insurance company subsidiaries that you do business with, according to a source from the State's insurance regulator.

Even if AIG's holding company is forced to file for bankruptcy court protection, there's a good chance that the subsidiaries will continue to operate normally with no disruption in claims payments. That has happened in the case of other insurance holding companies' bankruptcies in the past, such as Conseco (CNO).

What guarantees that my claims will be paid?

Typically, if an insurance company falls into financial distress and is at risk of having claims that exceed the assets it holds to make those payments, the insurance regulator in its home state will take control of the firm and make payments.

The state regulator will not only use the firm's own assets to make those payments but, if necessary, can also make payments out of a fund into which all insurers in the state are required to pay.

This guarantee applies not just to traditional insurance policies but also to retirement products that have a promised payout, such as annuities.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another SPH propaganda to ease tension and calm the public?? Guess AIG will have a new piece of newspaper cutting to paste on their windows.

Must be careful not to trust SPH propaganda. They are protecting the interests of gov't & big business.

Small fry citizens are on their own. Can't really blame them for panicking & queuing up to withdraw, as our gov't got a track record of playing out the citizens e.g. remember CLOB :mad:

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Must be careful not to trust SPH propaganda. They are protecting the interests of gov't & big business.

Small fry citizens are on their own. Can't really blame them for panicking & queuing up to withdraw, as our gov't got a track record of playing out the citizens e.g. remember CLOB :mad:

Panic selling out would only worsen the situation as it would manifest the people's fears. Proper information needs to be disseminated for the people to make an informed decision.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Really? 3rd day already and queue is getting longer. Policyholders were even told to cum back the next day.

TV2008091823142100.jpg

TV2008091823143000.jpg

TV2008091823143500.jpg

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really? 3rd day already and queue is getting longer. Policyholders were even told to cum back the next day.

Wow. Look at the chinks in the queue. I thought MAS and AIA have already clarified? Perhaps these chinks have overstretched themselves and are looking for the first excuse to bail out the agreement for much needed cash. Nevermind the losses.

virus2977

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Chief of AIA take advance leave and quit.AIA sure got problem now.Now AIA one shot must cash out so much $$$$$$ for all policy holder who surrender.AIA wont last.For all AIA policy holder quickly go surrender at least got some $$$$.Or else 1 cent cannot get.