• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The true FTs whom Singaporeans need to be grateful to

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore's Borrowed Success
A Malaysian writes about the longstanding role of his countrymen and women in this city-state. Sin Chew Daily
Dec 7, 2009

By Chen Jiaqi
I met up with some old classmates several times since my university graduation, and discovered that over half of my Form V classmates had gone to study, work, or even settle down in Singapore.

I knew many of the top talents from my school ended up in Singapore, but I was not aware that the number could be so big.

Those secondary school classmates of mine were among the most brilliant in school, and Singapore was more than happy to bring these independent Chinese secondary school students there so that they could get the opportunity to advance their ambitions.

Still on my internship at a government hospital here, I had a mixed bag of feelings, and to my own disbelief, I joined their rank several years later.

Only a few days in Singapore, I was told by my superior that there were plenty of my compatriots around me.

Indeed, beginning with my colleagues and looking upward level by level, I found that many of my highest level superiors were Malaysians.

They were doing their work conscientiously and had contributed significantly towards the success of the tiny city-state.

I suddenly had that feeling of pride that Singapore owed much of its success to the contributions made by Malaysian citizens.

I was told by colleagues that Malaysian talents were the most sought after in Singapore.

Due to cultural and geographical proximity, we are actually that group of foreigners who can best assimilate themselves into the Singapore society.

This can't be more true, as the two countries were forced apart by nothing but politics!

Due to the nature of my job, I came to know many patients. Singapore is a multicultural, more so a multinational country.

To these migrant workers, fundamental communication is never a problem: Chinese Malaysians are well versed in three languages plus an array of Chinese dialects.

Not all Singaporean doctors have this linguistic gift! Due to their educational system, the younger generation of Singaporeans are proficient in English, mediocre only in Chinese.

For Malay language, they are largely outsiders; as for Chinese dialects, that will have to depend on whether their gandpas and grannies are still around.

As such, young Singaporean doctors face communication problems when they encounter aged patients, resorting to hand language at times just to get their messages across.

To Singapore, Malaysian talents are what they are most avid to tout for.

Singapore's meritocratic system knows no skin colours. But if it does, I could have bagged in more perks.

I later decided to return to my country. Many have asked me why I wanted to come back to Malaysia, which is filthy, messy, hard to make a good living, and plagued with partial government policies.

Why did I make such an unnatural decision? Perhaps the answer would be revealed in time to come, I was thinking.

The more successful Singapore has become, the more I feel proud of my Malaysian compatriots who have crossed the Causeway to serve in the Lion City.

But sometimes I would have this perverted idea: You Singaporeans need to be grateful to us, the "Made in Malaysia" yet forsaken lot, for what you have achieved!

MySinchew

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a couple of months time the same fellow will write why he/she(sorry have no idea is a girl or guy writing this) returns back to Singapore.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a couple of months time the same fellow will write why he/she(sorry have no idea is a girl or guy writing this) returns back to Singapore.

I share your sentiments. It is my belief that Singapore has helped many Malaysians launch their careers. Without Singapore, even more of them would have to find meaningful work faraway from home.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
These Malaysians must become Singaporeans before I be gladful. Otherwise they are only mercenaries we can buy from China, India, Indonesia, etc.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
These Malaysians must become Singaporeans before I be gladful. Otherwise they are only mercenaries we can buy from China, India, Indonesia, etc.

You wait long long lah, what benefit they get by becoming Citizen? Got big house in JB, big Car there, retire go back also cheaper to live in Mudland. Plus their sons no need to go NS also. Citizenship is more of a burden to them then staying as a PR. Worst comes to worst, buy HDB at inflated level, why you think HDB flat so expensive now ah, then sell them when they are ready to return.

sammyboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its true this fact, also mainly because Malays tend to bully the Chinese and thus were forced slaved into Singapore to work.

If that malaysian goes back to malaysia, he/she would become karung guni man and sell backside along the kampung streets.

this also applies to Indonesian filipinos indians thais and many others. if not for singapore, they have to go back to their families despondent ,and sell backside as last resort.

cunnosieur

Alfrescian
Loyal
PERSONAL INFO

Nationality: P R China; Singapore PR
Date & Place of Birth: 15/10/1964; Lanzhou, China
Gender Female
EXPERIENCE
Jan. 2002 – Dec. 2005 Bank of China, Singapore Branch

Account Relationship Manager – Corporate Banking Department

 Liaise with arrangers on syndication loans deals;
 Information gathering, assessing and analysing of macro economy, industry, multinational corporates etc.
 Prepare and present of credit proposals;
 Prepare annual review reports for existing portfolios;
 Draft various reports to Head Office;
 Draft, edit and finalise credit manual of the department in Chinese (over 120 pages)
 Translate credit manual of the department into English.

Sep. 1998 - Dec. 2001 The Kwangtung Provincial Bank
Singapore Branch
(KPB merged with Bank of China since
1 Jan.2002)

Senior Officer – China Business Department

 to build and expand customer base;
 to minimise problem loan facilities, increased interest income by 30% within year of 1999;
 to go on business trips whenever necessary;
 handling perplexing projects which involved in legal procedures;
 to draft reports to Head Office;
 to communicate well with senior managers and junior staffs.

May 1994- Jul 1998 Robert W H Wang & Woo/ Raymond Tan & Co

China Project Supervisor cum Administrator

 to oversee the legal procedures related to China Property Projects and to provide useful and helpful information to the customers;
 to translante documents whenever necessary;
 to manage 5 supporting staffs;
 implemented on-the-job training for new staff.

Jan 1989–1992 Gansu Arts & Crafts Import & Export Corp. Lanzhou

International Trade Representative

 Attending international trading fair, travelling overseas and within territary of China to negoticate with clients and suppliers on sales and purchse terms;
 Expanded business to Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, European and Middle East market;
 Worked closely with suppliers to ensure the prompt shipment.

Sep. 1986–Dec. 1988 Gansu Agricultural University, Lanzhou

Assistant Lecturer

 Conducted essential English courses to 1-2nd year students and students from ethnic areas;
 Conducted training courses to secondary school teachers from rural areass.

EDUCATION
1982–1986 Northwest Normal University, Lanzhou, China
B.A., English Language & Literature.

1990–1991 Gansu International Trade Institute, Lanzhou, China

 attended training courses on International Trade, International Finance and Commercial Law, etc.
 awarded the Certificate of Merit for the Post of International Trade Representative

2001 ACCA

Attended initial stage courses of ACCA such as Financial Informaiton for Mangement and Preparing Financial Statement, etc.

INTERESTS
Reading, photography, dancing