• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Learn Mandarin with fun is OK, but a F9 banning your kids from Pre-U or U is ghastly!

Tiu-leh-see-fart

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course being bilingual or trilingual is perfectly good.
The chinese malaysians are equally good at that.

Many local virile men who can write and speak mandarin know the benefits not to mention they enjoy the Geylang delights.

The gist of the chinese language issue is not about learning one more language is no good but a F9 in mandarin cannot enter pre-u or college is the chief issue.

We should not let a chinese language destroy talents or livelihood l

Learning an extra language is good but fail to pass will render you not able to go to college is different thing.

Just how many hearts have been broken ? Just how many parents sent their kids overseas or accept the unfair fate ?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Learn Mandarin with fun is OK, but a F9 banning your kids from Pre-U or U is ghas

f9 for this?

Ni hao
ni mai xia mien?
duo shao qian?

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Learn Mandarin with fun is OK, but a F9 banning your kids from Pre-U or U is ghas

Of course being bilingual or trilingual is perfectly good.
The chinese malaysians are equally good at that.

Many local virile men who can write and speak mandarin know the benefits not to mention they enjoy the Geylang delights.

The gist of the chinese language issue is not about learning one more language is no good but a F9 in mandarin cannot enter pre-u or college is the chief issue.

We should not let a chinese language destroy talents or livelihood l

Learning an extra language is good but fail to pass will render you not able to go to college is different thing.

Just how many hearts have been broken ? Just how many parents sent their kids overseas or accept the unfair fate ?

In Singapore, if you fail your English, you cannot go secondary school, cannot go express stream, cannot go sec 5, cannot go pre-U, cannot go U. Is that okay?

Going by your same argument, how many hearts have been broken?

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal

If stop use Chinese for Pre-U and U entering marks. What will parents kpkb next? Maths too tough, must remove. Then after that? Physics too tough can score only B, so must remove. After that?

KNN like this might as well no need exam just let your kid get in? Notice those who kpkb at PSLE are those rich wannabe from ACS etc. And in the end the neighbourhood school kids who never kpkb top the scores. If you kid fucked up, just admit it. And "let's move on".

porkchop75

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yup, I'm one of them. Every year F9 for chinese. I'm not chinese, nobody speaks mandarin at home, simply can't pick up the language despite tuition classes, etc. If it’s simply to pass a 2nd lang, it would have been better if I took malay instead. Ironically, my parents thought I’d have a better future with mandarin.

Chinese classes were a nightmare. For some reason (see below), chinese teachers were from a different planet. It's all very fine being proud of the culture, history & achievements, but they believed that anyone who wasn't competent in the language was looking down on it. They'd pour scorn on students poor on the subject & would humiliate them in front of the class. They insist on me having a chinese name even though I do not have one, which is really stupid because I still write my anglicised name on major exams like PSLE / O'levels, etc. I've put up with that treatment in every chinese class for 10+ years and now I refuse to speak a word of it. Not that I hate the language, rather I don't want to be humiliated again.

I did rather well for O'levels. I could have gone to any JC with my grades but because I failed 2nd lang (certainly not my mother tongue), I could only be admitted "on conditional terms" - that I pass 2nd at JC. Let's face it.... 10 yrs of F9s, it is highly unlikely I'd pass. Basically the doors of local higher education had been slammed shut in front of my face. Fortunately, my parents could afford to send me abroad to further my studies and I'm very grateful towards the foreign education system that I'm given a chance to prove myself, but completely resent the local education system. Now that LKY has admitted he made a mistake in believing that mastering languages = intelligence, I am very angry with him because now I know I was labelled stupid in the eyes of the govt & not deserving of a higher education because of 2nd language even though I did well in the other subjects.

Now that I have kids, I've decided to send them abroad after their A'levels whether or not they do well in 2nd lang. Of course I want them to study hard but the pursuit of gaining entry to "branded" schools & then local U is ridiculous. I don't believe in the local education system anymore, and don't get me started on our local Unis. We need to think global these days, who in US / UK / Europe gives a rat's arse about "branded schools"? NUS? Is it globally recognised? If you had a grad from MIT & NUS applying for a job, who would you pick? Only when all president's / national scholars study locally would I send my kids there too.

Chinese teachers in the 70s/80s
Most of them came from NANTA which was shut down by the govt. Compared to the english educated grads, they had lower pay & not much job prospects except being 2nd lang teachers. Naturally, they felt sidelined & had a huge chip on their shoulder towards the english educated, students included, hence the negative attitude in chinese classes.

porkchop75

Alfrescian
Loyal

If stop use Chinese for Pre-U and U entering marks. What will parents kpkb next? Maths too tough, must remove. Then after that? Physics too tough can score only B, so must remove. After that?

KNN like this might as well no need exam just let your kid get in? Notice those who kpkb at PSLE are those rich wannabe from ACS etc. And in the end the neighbourhood school kids who never kpkb top the scores. If you kid fucked up, just admit it. And "let's move on".

How do you feel when local students can't get into higher local education because of 2nd lang but foreign students can without it?

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I press F9 on my keyboard... nothing happen leh..... weird.... :confused::confused::confused: