• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Temasek Holdings Reap S$2,100,000,000 Profit From Sale of Merrill Lynch

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mdm Ho Ching is the smartest human being in the world since Zhuge Kongming. Within a few months with the stock, oil and commodities markets plummeting, she still manages to make S$2,100,000,000 in less than 3 months.

Such genius :wink:

FYIR (For Your Information Retards): Temasek paid US$24 a share while Bank Of America paid for ML at US$28 a share)

Temasek in good position after Bank of America's bid for Merrill Lynch
By Ng Baoying, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 16 September 2008 2149 hrs

SINGAPORE: Temasek Holding's recent investment in Merrill Lynch has put it in a good position to profit from the current financial turmoil.

The Singapore fund is likely to sell its almost 14 per cent stake for shares of Bank of America as part of a deal between Bank of America and Merrill Lynch that was announced on Monday.

Temasek surprised markets when it paid US$48 a share for Merrill Lynch last December, in a deal valued at some US$4.9 billion.

But a special condition attached to the sale saw Temasek increase its stake in the global wealth management company in July. This brought down the overall price it paid to US$24 a share - that is half the original price.

The increase has made Temasek Merrill Lynch's largest shareholder.

Bank of America's US$50b offer for Merrill Lynch values the company's stock at US$29 a share, putting Temasek firmly in the money for the deal.

Unless Temasek strikes a special deal with Bank of America to hang on to its stake, it will end up with Bank of America shares in its portfolio, as part of the all-stock swap.

Temasek could then choose to sell off the shares, although analysts say it is unlikely to happen in the near term due to market volatility.

A stake in Bank of America means Temasek will own part of what will be the largest wealth management business in the world.

Other observers have called the new Bank of America a "global powerhouse of retail banking, brokerage and money management".

But there are risks, and much will depend on whether the share price of Bank of America holds up in the face of continued turmoil. Temasek has said it is premature to comment at this time.

- CNA/ir

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mdm Ho Ching is the smartest human being in the world since Zhuge Kingming. Within a few months with the stock, oil and commodities markets plummeting, she still manages to make S$2,100,000,000 in less than 3 months.

FYIR (For Your Information Retards): Temasek paid US$23.11 a share while Bank Of America paid for ML at US$28 a share)

yes but can she sell now? may i ask. who will buy it at this time of uncertainty?
the profit is just on paper.

in a few months time, when US gov decide to help merrill lynch or not? if not, temasek will lose everything.

after waiting the news why US gov did not help lehman bank, it is because major creditor of that bank are japs.

that is why US gov did not help.

do you think US gov will help merrill lynch if major creditor is sinkies???
no, US gov will happy to see it die.
in fact, very happy.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
dead deal.cannot sell.so wait until the billions become useless chips...a major catastrophe of mindless proportions.

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes but can she sell now? may i ask. who will buy it at this time of uncertainty?
the profit is just on paper.

in a few months time, when US gov decide to help merrill lynch or not? if not, temasek will lose everything.

after waiting the news why US gov did not help lehman bank, it is because major creditor of that bank are japs.

that is why US gov did not help.

do you think US gov will help merrill lynch if major creditor is sinkies???
no, US gov will happy to see it die.
in fact, very happy.

You myopic retarded dog :mad: This is a long term investment. Why cash out now when the profits will be much bigger later.

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Merrill Fire-Sale

As the dramatic collapse of US investment bank Lehman Brothers caused global stock markets to plunge, one piece of news overshadowed by Lehman Brothers is causing Singaporeans much more discomfort.

As Lehman Brothers filed for bankruptcy, it will be the fire-sale of Merrill Lynch that will worry Singaporeans. For those people for don’t know, the Singapore government investment firm Temasek Holdings is the single largest investor in Merrill Lynch with investments totaling about 8.3 billion dollars in Merrill Lynch.

What will happen to Temasek’s shares now that Bank of America (BoA) has bought over Merrill Lynch for 50 billion dollars? Your guess is as good as anyone’s! Temasek Holdings has said that it had not decided on what to do with its stake yet, but no matter what their decision is, it’s hard to see anything good for Temasek (and Singapore) out of this.

Temasek Holdings holds about 13 to 14 percent of Merrill which made it the biggest investor in the US investment bank; now its’ stake will be much smaller. Not only that, since this is a takeover by BoA, Temasek has even less say in how its’ money will be run.

The price of the sale also has me worried. As reported earlier, Temasek Holdings holds about 13 to 14 percent of Merrill which totaled about 8.3 billion dollars, but BoA only spent 50 billion dollars to buy over Merrill Lynch. Makes you wonder just how bad things are in Merrill.

http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/

You should as this retarded blogger to read my post :mad:

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Dear Dumbass retard, you know the meaning of profits :mad:
You should read the FYIR

Hello fucker! Don't anyhow call people dumbass retard okay! What profits!!! Show Me The Cash!!! You doubly dumbass retardest of the dumbest asses!!!

Show me the cash! Show me the money!!! Dont let me fly my kite at you you shithole!

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just ignore him, he's already a mentally unsounded PAP dog...

Hello fucker! Don't anyhow call people dumbass retard okay! What profits!!! Show Me The Cash!!! You doubly dumbass retardest of the dumbest asses!!!

Show me the cash! Show me the money!!! Dont let me fly my kite at you you shithole!

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal

You spastic faggot :mad: Since you don't know the meaning of long term investment, then you should STFU!

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
who the f88k is zhuge kingming ? He/she/it gave you bukkake izzit

reap s$2,100,000,000 ?? You mean zhuge kingming rip your arse 2,100,000,000 times ??

mdm ho ching is the smartest human being in the world since zhuge kingming. Within a few months with the stock, oil and commodities markets plummeting, she still manages to make s$2,100,000,000 in less than 3 months.

fyir (for your information retards): Temasek paid us$23.11 a share while bank of america paid for ml at us$28 a share)

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal
as usual, where there's earnings, they'd be bold to splash it across the front page news. but the losses that amount a whole lot more than the earnings, they pretend nothing happened. when situation worsens, wont be surprised they'd just write off the bad-debts/ losses...

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Temasek Holdings, Who?
POSTED: Wednesday, August 27, 2008
FROM BLOG: OptionPundit - Powerful option trading strategies for consistent income are discussed at OptionPundit©. OPNewsletter (OPN) is a game changing "NO PROFIT, NO FEE" service. You may sign-up for the waitlist for US$50.

The following blog post is from an independent writer and is not connected with Reuters News. The opinions and views expressed herein are those of the author and are not endorsed by Reuters.com.

Temasek holding delivers record profits S$ 18Billions (US$12.8 Billions @ 1U$=1.4 S$) for 2008. Who the heck this Temasek holding is? And why should you care about them? Alright, they are the largest shareholder of Merrill Lynch. They are powerful enough to negotiate with Merrill to recoup all their Merrill investment losses by halving their purchase price by obtaining additional shares. They have invested to into key blue chips of emerging markets. They are rich and have plenty of cash. They are one of the Singapore’s Sovereign Wealth Fund. Let’s review the highlights of the business results first, straight from their website-

Group net profit was a record S$18 billion, double the year before.
Total shareholder return (TSR) by market value for the year was 7% with lower marked-to-market gains due to market uncertainties at the March year end. (This was lower than their long term record)
TSR by shareholder funds was a solid 17%, reflecting strong operating performance of Temasek portfolio companies and realised gains from investment activities.
Net portfolio value grew 13% to S$185 billion, or 24% in USD terms to US$134 billion.
Temasek’s exposure to Singapore was stable at S$60 billion but this accounted for a smaller share of the portfolio – 33%, compared to 38% last year.
Investments post-2002, when the focus on Asia began, are now valued at S$77 billion, delivering a six-year compounded return of 32% per year compared to a six-year compounded return of 16% per year for the rest of the portfolio.
Investments in the financial services sector form the largest sector of the portfolio at 40%, with telecommunications and media being the second largest sectoral exposure at 24% of the portfolio (versus 38% and 23% respectively in financial year ended March 2007).
During financial year ended March 2008, Temasek made S$32 billion of new investments and monetised S$17 billion of its portfolio, compared with S$16 billion of new investments and S$5 billion of divestments the year before.
Volatility has increased substantially. Value-at-Risk has increased to S$40 billion on a portfolio of S$185 billion. This means a 16% probability of a value loss of over S$40 billion on a marked-to-market basis in the 12 months to March 2009.
Temasek’s support for the community is almost S$1 billion over the last decade with S$500 million of endowment to Temasek Trust. Among its principal beneficiaries, Temasek Foundation confirmed a commitment of S$16 million to fund 14 projects across Asia in its first year since its formation in May 2007.

What are they saying?

“We are concerned with the emerging risks of stagflation. This presents huge socio-political as well as economic risks in the next 3-5years. Opportunities may be limited in such a scenario”.

When someone like Temasek is saying something, it’s time we pay attention to the direction they are pointing to.
Why should you know about them? I think it’s important to know how “Big Boys” do their portfolio allocation. I shall encourage my readers to download and read the full report. It’s full of valuable insights. Here is the link to download the report. A full 40% is invested into financial services, followed by 24% into telecom and communication. But before you think they are way too overexposed to finacials, you may want to look at the companies that they have invested in. I am sure you may rethink your opinion about them.

Have fun exploring annual report of one of the most respected and vibrant Soverign Wealth Fund (SWF).

Profitable trading, OP