• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-political prisoner Dr Lim Hock Siew speaks in Singapore after 20 years in prison

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a recording of a speech by Dr Lim Hock Siew, Singapore's 2nd longest-held political prisoner.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dqhr4wxUFws&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dqhr4wxUFws&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hellfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Ex-political prisoner Dr Lim Hock Siew speaks in Singapore after 20 years in pris

Excerpts from Dr Lim’s speech:

“After 9 years of incarceration, they want me to release a statement and secondly to renounce politics. I told them that these two demands are self-contradictory because if there is parliamentary democracy, then I don’t have to give up politics, so they said “You must say something to show repentance or otherwise Lee Kuan Yew will lose face”….In the first place, if a person has to save his face by depriving somebody else of his fundamental rights, then that’s not a face which is worth saving.”

“That was a place not fit to keep animals let alone human beings. The place was so dark, so stinky and so ill-ventilated that you cannot stand inside for more than 24 hours but I was locked in there for 24 hours a day and the whole place was infested with bugs. I had a lot of bugs for company, no reading material and the light was so dim that I could hardly see the crease of my hand.”

“It is to our credit that we did not break down despite our difficult ordeal. We stood our ground and held on to our integrity. Today they are asking us to be magnanimous. What does magnanimity mean? Only those who have suffered have the moral right, the moral standing to be magnanimous, not the culprit. The culprit can seek forgiveness. If they admit their mistakes and apologize for it. Not the victims of this torture to seek forgiveness. We are the ones who have to be magnanimous and we are prepared to be magnanimous provided that the culprits admit their mistakes and seek our forgiveness.”

“I stood firm and had to suffer for two decades. That is the price we had to pay for our integrity. In Singapore we have a situation where the government leaders said they have integrity that has to be sustained by the highest pay in the world but yet they demand from political opponents and detainees an integrity that has to be sustained by the longest imprisonment in the world. These two types of integrity – to compare them is to compare heaven and earth. Why should anybody has to sacrifice so much just to sustain his integrity and his beliefs? And the government have to reward themselves with so much high pay. This is the immorality of the political situation in Singapore today. “

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Ex-political prisoner Dr Lim Hock Siew speaks in Singapore after 20 years in pris

Intregrity cost next to nothing and yet some people justify that they
must be paid the sky to maintain their integrity.

Somebody has to console Dr Lim, please tell him that we are living in a modern world, if we don't need money, does not be that other people
don't need.

So he has to forgive these people and move on.

Excerpts from Dr Lim’s speech:

“I stood firm and had to suffer for two decades.

That is the price we had to pay for our integrity.

In Singapore we have a situation where the government leaders said they have integrity that has to be sustained by the highest pay in the world but yet they demand from political opponents and detainees an integrity that has to be sustained by the longest imprisonment in the world.

These two types of integrity – to compare them is to compare heaven and earth. Why should anybody has to sacrifice so much just to sustain his integrity and his beliefs?

And the government have to reward themselves with so much high pay. This is the immorality of the political situation in Singapore today. “

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The%20Salute.jpg

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

<BUTTON class="yt-uix-expander-arrow master-sprite" title=""></BUTTON> Video Responses (0)

This video has no Responses. Be the first to Post a Video Response.

Post a Text Comment
<BUTTON class="yt-uix-expander-arrow master-sprite" title=""></BUTTON> Text Comments (11) Options

raufamin (3 minutes ago) Show Hide
0 <BUTTON class="master-sprite watch-comment-down-hover" title="Poor comment"></BUTTON> <BUTTON class="master-sprite watch-comment-up-hover" title="Good comment"></BUTTON>
Marked as spam Reply | Spam

1 reason i haf never been a fan of the PAP and never will. Democracy has a different meaning in their dictionary.

I urge all fellow Singaporeans to vote wisely in the next election. We need the change!!!!

MAJULAH SINGAPURA!!!

zalxemptyx (34 minutes ago) Show Hide
0 <BUTTON class="master-sprite watch-comment-down-hover" title="Poor comment"></BUTTON> <BUTTON class="master-sprite watch-comment-up-hover" title="Good comment"></BUTTON>

Im glad you have spoken out Dr Lim
thank you

stylistar (4 hours ago) Show Hide
+3 <BUTTON class="master-sprite watch-comment-down-hover" title="Poor comment"></BUTTON> <BUTTON class="master-sprite watch-comment-up-hover" title="Good comment"></BUTTON>

my respect to him
really hope sg have free speech rights ONE DAY....

boi1983 (7 hours ago) Show Hide
+1 <BUTTON class="master-sprite watch-comment-down-hover" title="Poor comment"></BUTTON> <BUTTON class="master-sprite watch-comment-up-hover" title="Good comment"></BUTTON>

I am afraid that the attempts by the current Government to have more Non Constituency MPs may further reduce the electorate voting sentiments to the Opposition in the coming elections. We could see more opposition MPs but with limited voting rights .

On another note, where could I view those declassified documents by the UK Government on Operation Cold Store? Are they available for viewing online?

zincopper (7 hours ago) Show Hide

Wow, if I had half his conviction, half his energy, and half his willpower to stick by his ideals..... But sadly, what will that count for?

boi1983 (7 hours ago)

Comment removed by author

jeremyocm (9 hours ago)

jeremyocm (10 hours ago)

kelveto (11 hours ago) Show Hide
+1 <BUTTON class="master-sprite watch-comment-down-hover" title="Poor comment"></BUTTON> <BUTTON class="master-sprite watch-comment-up-hover" title="Good comment"></BUTTON>

As LKY gets older, more and more of the skeletons in his party's closets are comin' out. A dying man tell no tales, they say...

charlottejena (7 hours ago) Show Hide

@kelveto How apt. I wish more people would stop glorifying the words and deeds of LKY. There's a limit to being 'grateful' for the supposed good deeds that his party has accomplished. Keep sharing this video so others may view it! Kudos to sgrebel as well.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Somebody has to console Dr Lim, please tell him that we are living in a modern world, if we don't need money, does not be that other people
don't need.

So he has to forgive these people and move on.
i think he got said he will forgive what... :confused::confused:

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal

Good for him but I cant help but feel that his appearance now is more to warn Sinkies against going against the garment than anything else.

This Dr had more insights into the PAP than he shared in the video. This Dr should have talked more about the fascist attitudes of the PAP, the political party and how fascist treat their citizens.

This Dr can and should do better. This Dr should spill out all the beans about the PAP and their foundings, including this Dr's vile deeds. It is true that the PAP from its foundings were up to no good, whether it was against the British or the citizens of Singapore.

This Dr should be told to tell ALL the truths and nothing else. All of it or none of it because there is more that he knows and the more he shrares the better it is for Singapore.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal

A person who has to been paid indecent sum of money to maintain his own integrity is basically a corruptible person.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bastard for short.

I thought they always harp on the fact that their screening process very stringent not even a fly can get through and yet over the years we have seen characters such as the Teh and Peh ropping up..

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dr Lim still can speak how long?
78yrs old liao..
and
wondering whether he had doubts his integrity before?

Ever regretted his decision for saying no?
Wasted 20yrs for nothing in the cell where others are touring in other countries
enjoying a group of babes.

By illustrating his convictions & xperiences,
i guess no young sinkies would wanna walk his dark path again...
at the expense of freedom and youth.

I think tis video is a good message to the young wannabe opposition politicians.......know your own fate....

:o :biggrin: :o

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Time is not on his side liao lah, he should spend more time with his family. But hopefully, his story will be heard by fellow Singaporeans :cool::cool:

Churuya

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is an almost certain thing that LKY will not have the courage to have a 1-1 talk with him in public.

What do you think the youth in singapore will think of LKY? Those with integrity will definitely hesitate to join PAP, while those in it for personal power and benefits will flock there.

At the end of the day, singaporeans have to choose what are the people they want to be led by. How many T.T Durais are there? On the other hand, some people do prefer authoritarian rule (e.g. big business, rich people, ambitious people etc.)

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The average SINgaporenS will not even bother by what this Dr.Lim had to say, for they were not born or gone through that era of Singapore's History, they are brainwashed by HIS-Story & their Story...

One and all today, are only concern with material wealth as what they can earn, spend & enjoy. What do they care about their rights as a humand being?, even their basic rights as a citizen or even sons & daughters in the land which they were born.

Dr.Lim & others will just an echo in the noisy, bustling, materialistic world of SINgaporeans. Who will just, pause, listen & move on.

Until a major castrophere, natural or economic or both hits them, that echo will resonate loud in their minds.

Till that day cometh, they will dwell in he perpeptual bliss perpertuated by the MIW's..

dream on.........:p

Churuya

Alfrescian
Loyal

Perhaps, only the exceptional singaporeans will pay attention?

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal

The men who took you knows you .

Do you know the men, their names and their habits post it here .

And we take some action .

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

This goes to show what type of character our so called "Founding Father" is. No wonder he still needs the court to protect his "reputation".
And all this years he have been calling for recruiting "man of characters" into the government.

liongsum

Alfrescian
Loyal

< so they said “You must say something to show repentance or otherwise Lee Kuan Yew will lose face”…. >

Quoting some lackey is not the same as if it's coming from the source.

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maybe LKY will apologise leh.

He apologised about the bilingual policy. So got hope :smile: