• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRs, don't blame S'pore, choice is yours!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>PRs, don't blame S'pore, choice is yours
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I AM writing in response to the letter, 'Please give PRs a break' by Ms Chan Mei Kuen (Sept 6).
I think some of her comments were unfair to Singaporeans and our system. First, Singaporeans do not distinguish between foreigners based on their income and housing, as she implied. To us, they are all foreigners but those who opt for permanent residence (PR) feel closer to us because by doing so, they have given a vote of confidence in our system and our way of life.
I believe this is the main reason Ms Chan and her family became PRs. However, there is still a need to differentiate benefits between citizens and PRs. Ms Chan is wrong to say that PRs are left out. Rather, PRs have opted out of citizens' benefits such as housing and health care for personal reasons. As such, she should accept the outcome of her decision. Incidentally, when Ms Chan mentioned that PRs are given the same benefits as citizens in Britain and Australia, did she compare these countries' tax rates with ours? Everything has a price and there is no such thing as a free lunch.
When she justifies herself by stating that coming from another country will always carry a stigma and she still wants to visit her family in her home country (Malaysia), I would like to highlight to her that my mother hails from Kuala Lumpur and today remains the only member of her immediate family to have changed citizenship. But she never suffered any stigma and our family has never had difficulty visiting my relatives in KL since I was young.
I have friends from China and Malaysia who became Singaporeans after many years here. We can also recall many distinguished Singaporeans who hailed originally from Malaysia, who include some of our founding fathers. They all made a crucial decision in their lives, that is, to call Singapore their home and to sing our National Anthem and recite our Pledge.
To those PRs who still ponder over whether to apply for citizenship, I believe the key is to follow your heart. Once you have made up your mind, accept the outcome wholeheartedly. Please do not blame Singaporeans and our system. The truth is, you have a choice.
Ivan Loh

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
These foreigners are slowly evolving to be part of us......
the singaporeans whiners...

itz a good sign.

:biggrin: :o :biggrin:

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
if these FT are so unhappy here...they are welcome to leave.....no need to write all these complain letters...

as the angmo in certain countries used to say "F**K back to your country"

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
after a while , these FT also get assmilated into our culture and learn all our bad habits . become complain kings and queens and bad drivers :smile:

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
FTs or PRs you guys volunterrily come here but I am born here need to service NS, NOT happy also no CHOICE.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those not happy being a sporean, whats stopping u from throwing away the pink IC??:biggrin: pls feel free to leave spore permanently:biggrin: show your determination n resolve by denoucing spore citizen..

talk is cheap, u know who u r.. stop taking cheap potshot at sporeans..