• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRCs who insist on speaking in english

yansen84

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another example is when telling someone "up to you." We tend to use 喜欢你 instead of the more correct 随你喜欢. I once committed that mistake with my ex-Taiwanese g.f. too. She cheekily corrected me, 我知道你喜欢我,但现在是在点菜,你不是要吃了我吧!

haha no la i don't think we say 喜欢你 here do we? it's more like 随便你啦 or 青菜啦. but you're a lucky guy huh, jap gf and now taiwanese gf. :biggrin:

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
they also want to learn it,so that they will have some added advantage over their own.
and speaking it during conversation is one of the quickest way to master it.

different people in different countries have different ways of expressing a certain thing.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
i do wish they only allow PRCs who actually speak some simple english into s'pore. too many restaurants hiring chinamen/women who can't even read the menu.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
haha no la i don't think we say 喜欢你 here do we? it's more like 随便你啦 or 青菜啦. but you're a lucky guy huh, jap gf and now taiwanese gf. :biggrin:

I think 随便你啦 or 青菜啦 is mostly used by hubbies to wifeys. :biggrin: During courtship or romantic phase, the phrase tend not to be so casual.

Anyway, since I spent most of my younger days abroad, it's only natural that I've had a few foreign girlfriends. If I didn't have foreign girlfriends, then something's wrong or worrying. :o

proffessor_x

Alfrescian
Loyal
agree, most of the prc command of english consists of these phrases:

"you want make luv"

"comeeeon babbbyyy..........comeeeon babbbyyy"

"i like it yeah........comeeeon babbbyyy, comemmmon babbbbyyy"

maciam american slang

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
listening to a prc gal speaking english is like listening to a whore with a dick in her mouth...something which they are very used to here in sinking land.....

wodemama

Alfrescian
Loyal
thats the way, trying to improve their command of the language. any way how you know your mandarin is pure and accurate -.- ? You wanna fight with thoese prc with mandarin. zhun bo?

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the PRCS realise that Uncle Sam are the most creative & most powerful on earth,then they are truly on the way to be lumber satu,the super super power.

I think more PRCS seem to believ in our MM Lee's theory;that the rise of Asia(aka China)is unstoppable,and that would be the stupid thing that would do them in.Many PRCS seem to have this thinking:

TO hell with Uncle Sam's systems and practices,we are well on our way to beat you,which in my humble view:

FAT HOPE

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was once i went to a restaurant.....this PRC waiter don't even know what i want and he has to call the manager to help him out.........talk about culture shock

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most Chinese aspire towards speaking good English as it gives them a big advantage in their dealings with the English speaking world.

They realise that the USA is the most powerful and creative country on the face of this world while the Chinese are just copycats. It is therefore only natural that they try their best to speak the way the Americans do.

You don't expect them to want to speak stupid Singlish crap would you?:eek: It's not a proper language and it is only understood in sinkiepoor. The rest of the English speaking world considers Singlish to be nothing more than a joke. :p "It's like that one lor" is hardly a phrase to be proud of. :wink:

Seems like sinkies don't really excel in anything, neither English nor Mandarin.

Not even dialects.

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
No doubt China economy is growing, but you must wonder one thing.

If half of the world (US + Europe) communicates in basic english, India following suit, (english is preferred business language in India) China will definitely have to do some catching up to develop and grow even more.

They wouldn't want to end up like Japan or South Korea. :smile:

am55

Alfrescian
Loyal
listening to a prc gal speaking english is like listening to a whore with a dick in her mouth...used to here in sinking land.....

hi,

i took malay in school but becos of the above prc gals expertise i became fluent in mandarin now taking lessons so i can sms in mandarin, prc gals speaking english with the above expertise pls intro me THANKS

jastsen

Alfrescian
Loyal
well, as long as one want ot speak and the other can listen and catch up wat the meaning of it should be OK.
both can understanding can do lah.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No doubt China economy is growing, but you must wonder one thing.

If half of the world (US + Europe) communicates in basic english, India following suit, (english is preferred business language in India) China will definitely have to do some catching up to develop and grow even more.

They wouldn't want to end up like Japan or South Korea. :smile:

PLs indian english and filippino engrigh is quite bad too. Once ordered a bottle of beer from a holland V kopititiam from one woman. She then told the filippino beer fella 1 bottle. He could not understand saying battle???? Bokkle???? Something like that.

friskygambit

Alfrescian
Loyal
They just want to practice their English. Nothing wrong with that. In fact I will speak to them back in English to give them the opportunity to practice.

It's the same in other countries - I have been around Latin America and although I can converse with them in Spanish, they prefer to speak to me in broken English just to practice. This is because they don't normally get the chance to speak English in their daily lives, so they make the most of every opportunity they have.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hey bros.. taking a break from sexual talk at abf to post sth here..

do u guys have experience in china or in sg when u talk to prcs... even though they dun speak english very well.. they insist on talk to u in english... there were a few times, even when i was displaying difficulty understanding what they are saying... i switched to chinese to speak to them.... and my chinese aint that 'ang-moh pai' either... but haha.. they will still reply in english...

plus .. i think they learn they english from watching american shows... somehow they tend to learn that kind of accent.. really amazing sometimes... how abt other bros here??

Practice make perfect, if you are not good at it and don't practice how are you going to improve on it:rolleyes: