• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lost much of my interest in engineering

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Sep 14, 2008
YOUR PERSONAL ADVISER: CAREER
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Studying engineering but keen on investing
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->Q I am 27 years old and I am in my second year at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in the engineering faculty. Here is a brief account of my academic history.
After my O levels, I went to the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) and I enrolled in the polytechnic after two years of national service. Upon graduation, I enrolled in the National University of Singapore (NUS) but, due to my poor results, I was asked to leave after a year.
I was admitted into NTU in August last year after working for a year. So far, my results have been unsatisfactory.
I have lost much of my interest in engineering and instead find myself more keen on investing and business.
Should I continue with my engineering studies? Or, is there any better way to continue with my studies and at the same time grow my interest in investing?
A It is still not too late to reconsider your options and pursue a course that is in line with your career objective.
I believe that you have the potential to perform well academically, given that you were able to get into the polytechnic after your ITE course, and subsequently into NUS and now NTU.
The reason your academic results have not been satisfactory so far could be a lack of interest in your current course.
You should find out about degree courses available in your area of interest and check if you could switch courses or whether you can get exemptions or credits for any of the subjects you have taken so far.
On the other hand, an engineering degree is a highly regarded professional qualification. You could complete the course and still find a job in investments and business after graduation.
There are many engineering graduates who have carved out successful careers in the financial sector, given their strong mathematical background.
If you plan to complete your engineering course, then you should set your mind on achieving better results. In addition to how you perform at job interviews, a strong academic performance will give you a slight advantage when you apply for jobs after graduation, especially if you aspire to join any of the top investment banks.
Evelyn Teo
Managing director
HeadStart
Advice provided in this column is not meant as a substitute for comprehensive professional advice. E-mail questions to [email protected]

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not everyone can work in engineering. Engineering field person need to be creative, logic man, like to solve problem, doesn't worry working in danger/hazard enviroment.

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy should ask himself what he really wants; not just follow the peers...

Finance jobs are fast losing their appeal thanks to Uncle Sam.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal

The fact is....everyone say this course, tat course have stable careers...everyone sign up the course....

if he says he wants to sign up performing art or dancing as career...everyone condemn him no future.

:o :rolleyes: :o

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

Finance jobs are fast losing their appeal thanks to Uncle Sam.

A poor economy doesn't mean that accountants will lose their jobs- at least not in the Singapore context- I mean, in poor economies, companies might want even more accountability and will hire auditors and accountants to do the stuff.

The same goes for economists; in fact when there's a recession, you would want to have an expert economist to translate the data into proper english. So yeah, the economy is poor- but you need to find a job that you're passionate in and then stick to it.

I mean, I understand this engineering guy. I also didn't like engineering whilst in polytechnic. That's why I'm taking up economics in Australia- because economics is not just about stats but also about history. And it helps a lot when I am in any country.

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fact is....everyone say this course, tat course have stable careers...everyone sign up the course....

if he says he wants to sign up performing art or dancing as career...everyone condemn him no future.

:o :rolleyes: :o

but even with pragmatism it should be possible to find something one reasonably likes to do, not exactly what one wants most to do...

I doubt joining Merrill Lynch, AIG or Citigroup would be considered stable now :p

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
THe career advisor should be honest and tell him he should jump in front of the nearest oncoming MRT as he is too old and been done in by 2 years of NS.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Like this also so big deal.I? I lost interest in everything!!! What engineering! I lost everything - absolutely everything also no interest!!!

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Almost all my engineering grad friends end up in fields other than engineering. The labour market and working conditions for engineers suck. Many go on to be teachers, sign on or sell insurance. Some were never interested in the first place, and i asked them why they studied it. They said an engineering grad carries more weight than an arts grad, because it shows you have gone through a rigorous course and passed. How sad.

twochan

Alfrescian
Loyal
In engineering, there's just not enough bright people here in singapore. Forget about FTs from china or india. They make me cough blood. The better engineers from those countries are working in the USA. What we are getting is just trash.

In Accountancy, business and finance, where most of the bright people go, it seems that there's not enough jobs to go around. I hear stories of people ending up distributing queue tickets. It's who you know that brings you places.

Hmm... actually I don't think it really matters what you graduate with. In the workplace, you have to have to know what's happening (even outside your professional field) in order to shine.

Getting a degree is like you went to a doctor for a basic checkup and he says you've no big problems. It doesn't mean that you will be able to do amazing feats like climbing mount everest. That takes a lot more preparation and effort.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not everyone can work in engineering. Engineering field person need to be creative, logic man, like to solve problem, doesn't worry working in danger/hazard enviroment.

What you want to say really is in every field there needs to be creativity, flair and passion. Even in other sectors of non-engineering.
Only then can one really excel !

Even you got the brains and all ! You will want to reach the pinancle of command because because in the end engineers are still disposable after the company have reap
every worth of your existence and you got no more potential to exploit.

You want to be at the top, top or nothing.

Imagined being fired by a lesser human being, the feeling is crushing !

Someone who got there Chain of Command, talent is shit in the end !

But most going into engineering got married at the wrong time and got concern with paying of bills with like other thousands of Singaporeans.
Or just going into the wrong company with a bleak future ! Not having enough passion or fire in them to be in the right company.
If you gone into sunset industries then you see your days just collecting wages. Or having the wrong impression of engineering.

Upon being idealistic and realistic in the real world environment !

Last edited: