• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What do you think of TOC's Choo Zheng Xi?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I notice TOC's Choo Zheng Xi has become very mainstream media savvy of late. Saw him on the morning CNA telly show sometime back (before AIMs), and now with AIMs, he seems to be featuring in both print and tv media quite prominently. Last night he was on a CNA telly show together with his own Dean, Prof. Tan Cheng Han(who is on the AIMs committee) hosted by the 2 twats FD and Phin:rolleyes:

So what do you guys think of him? A possible Vivian 'turn coat' in the making or some one who shall stick to his own apparent non partisan agenda?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I notice TOC's Choo Zheng Xi has become very mainstream media savvy of late. Saw him on the morning CNA telly show sometime back (before AIMs), and now with AIMs, he seems to be featuring in both print and tv media quite prominently. Last night he was on a CNA telly show together with his own Dean, Prof. Tan Cheng Han(who is on the AIMs committee) hosted by the 2 twats FD and Phin:rolleyes:

So what do you guys think of him? A possible Vivian 'turn coat' in the making or some one who shall stick to his own apparent non partisan agenda?
Not sure if you are aware. Choo was aligned with the PAP and has been involved in their grassroots activity for sometime. I am not talking about RC stuff. He is like TiLik, Yaw, Andrew etc. Keen to play a part in politics but realised that they will not be in the line-up or can't wait. The TOC guys like airframe all came from PAP leanings. I believe that is a sponsor or mentor that encouraged the setting up of TOC. More like low brow Roundtable - 2nd attempt to be considered.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't know him well enough to make a fair evaluation of him. Until I meet him in person, I won't and can't make a comment.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

I can say this about Choo and the rest of the TOC gang as I have had closer and more intimate discussions with this bunch then say U Yap. I was there at the TOC inception and the initial brain storming and if not for business would have had suffered the same level of abuse which Andrew does.

Everyone who started with TOC at the start were just a bunch of busy bodies do gooders seeking an alternative voice positioned in between the PRO PAP Propaganda of the 154th and the on line view of the SDP.

They have had their initial troubles , but the blog or on line paper as a project has grown and grown and likewise in terms of profile, its creators and writers have grown as well.

The TOC remains primarily volunteer driven and if Choo went slightly off tangent in trying to earn side income, then it was his mistake as a young man to make. They can't be perfect and with their positioning in the centre, they will not be your perfect partisan fiery opposition type figures but they are trying their best.

On a seperate note and info about the Young Pyramaid, and the types that turn up in there ? Its a personal question and would appreciate some answers whether in public or private

Locke

Last edited:

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
My interest in the TOC was piqued by the above postings.

A search in google reveals several discussions about them. I read this: http://sgforums.com/forums/10/topics/307006.

It is hard to decide on a conclusion because of the possibilitiy of chameleons. Perhaps in time the issues will become clearer. Probably in a matter of 3 years max.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The TOC remains primarily volunteer driven and if Choo went slightly off tangent in trying to earn side income, then it was his mistake as a young man to make.
Locke
Not talking about the side income. I am talking before TOC was formed. All had been involved with YPAP or grassroots much earlier.

They are not in YPyramid zone or even comes close. That is done much earlier and its covers intelligentsia or potential. There is at least one bro here that was part of it. Initially formed to pick political talents just after NS and before going to undergrad school. Not very successful. Now a list to influence prior to policy release.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can anyone share what is YPyramid please?

Visually, a pyramid is one in which a broad base is used to support an apex.

So is Ypyramid a label for those who are potential high-flyers in the PAP, similar to gifted programs in schools?

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

I am a classmate of Remy Choo during his JC days and I dare bet with my last coin down that he is not a simple fellow. Since JC days, he has been politically very savvy and have great ambitions of becoming a future PM, just like Obama wanting to be the US President. That's why when the rest of us are playing soccer after school, he was volunteering at the Buona Vista CC nearby.

Remy has many connections with the PAP and is well regarded by the grassroots leaders who saw him as a potential MP in the future. During his NS days, a particular PAP minister was his mentor. And recently, it was revealed he actually write the parliamentary speeches of a PAP MP ! Now tell me which MP will trust an undergraduate so much to allow him to write her speeches ?

Do you think Remy Choo is running TOC just for fun ??

There are two possibilities:

1. To attract attention from the PAP. This chap is future PAP MP material. Don't be surprised if he turns a Vivian or Raymond Lim and become 'co-opted' into the system.

2. He is a trojan horse in Singapore's blogosphere. The PAP is much smarter than Malaysia's BN. Noticed they did not make much noise in spite of chorus of opposition against them in cyberspace. What the better way to infiltrate into cyberspace than to plant a mole there masquerading to be an "opposition" blog to attract readers and then skilfully "brainwash" them to protect them from radical blogs like SDP ?

A few observations support the above:

1. TOC pretends only to objective and even mildly "critical" of the PAP. However, if you analyze its articles, they are the usual hogwash commonly found in ST and not some insightful critical dissection of the political malaise we are.

2. Didn't you find it strange that the media kept promoting Choo and TOC while ignoring the other "blogger 13" bloggers such as Alex Au and Ng E Jay ? The Straits Times is not ranked 147th in the world for press freedom for nothing. Given their flagrant biases against any form of remote opposition to PAP, it is indeed strange and even ironic that their coverage of TOC has been largely positive so far. Something must be amiss.

3. TOC website is too complicated to be maintained by a few amateurs. There must surely be professionals running it and as a student, who is going to pay for it ? No prizes for the correct guess given Choo's political affliliations.

4. Choo created a mini-furore a few months ago when he denied completely his involvement with a PAP MP until he was proven wrong with concrete proof which calls to question his integrity. He still haven't answered these questions bloggers post to him:

http://wayangparty.wordpress.com/2008/02/10/8-questions-for-the-online-citizens-remy-choo/

5. As a mere law undergraduate, this Choo guy is a nobody in Singapore as of yet. How is he able to attract prominent establishment figures such as ex-NTUC Chief Tan Kin Lian and ex-civil servants like Gerald Giam ? These people with status and position in society are very careful with who they associate with. Why not they link up with Dr Chee or JBJ if they are so interested in contributing to Singapore's democractic progress. Why TOC ?

6. Choo has been shamelessly promoting TOC as Singapore's "Malaysiakini" to the extent of asking for an interview from Malaysiakini ! As we know, Malaysiakini is an influential independent newsblog which together with others is credited with the March 8 political tsunami. The PAP is of course worried about this scenario being repeated in Singapore and the clever way to pre-empt it is to set up its own "Singaporekini" to deceive voters !!!

7. Lastly, let us not forget the origins of TOC. TOC is started by an ex-PAP member Andrew Loh Hong Puey aka PMonkey10 of the old SBF who switched camps to WP under mysterious circumstances suddenly in 2004. Old SBF forumers will know that this chap is a rabid anti-SDP and pro-PAP lackey who went to lengths to extol the virtues of PM Lee. Surprisingly, the founding members of TOC also include prominent PAP blogger Ephraim Loy and two other PAP members. So essentially, TOC is founded by PAP members and continues to be dominated by them.

In the view of Remy Choo's constant hogging of the limelight to protray himself as the unofficial representative of Singapore's blogosphere, don't be surprised if MDA pass a new law requiring political blogs to register themselves and TOC is one of the few blogs which will pass the stringent requirements. After all, Remy is still deep down inside his heart a PAP man.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I am aware of Choo's past PAP background and can see his possible/probable thirst for power (quite predictable really):p

However, to be fair to TOC I rather judge on content than personalities, and thus far I think it is doing quite a good job. Interesting to see how it develops and whether it is sustainable and credible over a long period.

But you may be right that as it now stands TOC appears to be a 2nd stringer Roundtable with PAP 'rejects' including oldies like Tan Kin Lian and Leong Sze Hian.

Not sure if you are aware. Choo was aligned with the PAP and has been involved in their grassroots activity for sometime. I am not talking about RC stuff. He is like TiLik, Yaw, Andrew etc. Keen to play a part in politics but realised that they will not be in the line-up or can't wait. The TOC guys like airframe all came from PAP leanings. I believe that is a sponsor or mentor that encouraged the setting up of TOC. More like low brow Roundtable - 2nd attempt to be considered.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
All this stems from LKY's acute elitist rubbish. Ironically looking at the PAP GE2006 slate, I seriously doubt the majority of those prospective MP candidates would have made it into YPyramid, Pyramid Society, Alpha etc:p

They are not in YPyramid zone or even comes close. That is done much earlier and its covers intelligentsia or potential. There is at least one bro here that was part of it. Initially formed to pick political talents just after NS and before going to undergrad school. Not very successful. Now a list to influence prior to policy release.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imagine having a PM with the name "Remy"? Is it short for Remington (Steele):biggrin:

Jokes aside, I am still curious about Choo's background. Care to share which JC he was from and for that matter which Sec School he was from? Any interesting family background information to share?

Finally I sincerely hope Choo keeps in mind what happened to Icarus:p

Hi all,

I am a classmate of Remy Choo during his JC days and I dare bet with my last coin down that he is not a simple fellow. Since JC days, he has been politically very savvy and have great ambitions of becoming a future PM, just like Obama wanting to be the US President. That's why when the rest of us are playing soccer after school, he was volunteering at the Buona Vista CC nearby.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
All this stems from LKY's acute elitist rubbish. Ironically looking at the PAP GE2006 slate, I seriously doubt the majority of those prospective MP candidates would have made it into YPyramid, Pyramid Society, Alpha etc:p

The Pyramid Society appears to have something to do with Eygptian Arabian Horses, according to a google search.

However you might be referring to this: a 2001 article : http://www.thinkcentre.org/article.cfm?ArticleID=1088

I extrapolate that YPyramid is a subset of this and Alpha is similar.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI it is really known as the "Pyramid Club" and has been around since the late 60s. Housed at No 2 Goodwood Park with a swimming pool and all other amenities.:wink:
The Pyramid Society appears to have something to do with Eygptian Arabian Horses, according to a google search.

However you might be referring to this: a 2001 article : http://www.thinkcentre.org/article.cfm?ArticleID=1088

I extrapolate that YPyramid is a subset of this and Alpha is similar.

A

Alu862

Still despite all his pompousness, Choo and Team have places some viable policies on TOC. Much better than the ranting and raving SDP

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, to be fair to TOC I rather judge on content than personalities, and thus far I think it is doing quite a good job. Interesting to see how it develops and whether it is sustainable and credible over a long period.
Roundtable had content as well if you remove the personalities. What exactly are you looking for?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
YP is not meant for MP selection. It was meant for Cabinet Potentials. Pyramid is more for keeping the faith. The YPs are not to reveal if they were YPs when they go into PC. At least 3 of the current cabinet has YPs. Gestation period too long and too uncertain.

Alpha swings like a pendulum depending on who is heading the show.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Since JC days, he has been politically very savvy and have great ambitions of becoming a future PM, he was volunteering at the Buona Vista CC nearby.

After all, Remy is still deep down inside his heart a PAP man.
You read him very well.

By the way, the mentor is still with him. This sort of mentoring has been going for over 20 years. 2 MPs - Inderjit, Lee Bee Wah and one ex-MP Sinnakaruppan all came from the same background and groomed by the another mentor. A 4th potential candidate from this cohort, a Malay Engineer stepped back after a few years after pressure from the Malay community.

locky2ky

Alfrescian
Loyal

i think choo is working for pap and toc is essentially a pap blog.