• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

70's, 80's 'Feel Good' Music

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Musician, Songwriter. He was best known for his gold single "Just When I Needed You Most" (1979). Born Randall VanWarmer, he spent his childhood in Colorado, and following the death of his father in an automobile accident when he was a teenager, his mother moved his family to Cornwall, England. While there, he concentrated on writing songs, and began performing in English folk music clubs where he made a name for himself. In 1978, he returned to the US and signed with the Bearsville record label, scoring what proved to be his most successful hit "Just When I Needed You Most", which reached number 4 on the US pop charts during 1979. Among the albums he recorded during his career include "Warmer" (1979), "Terraform" (1980), "Beat of Love" (1981) and "The Third Child" (1994). He had additional top-100 chart-placings with "Whatever You Decide" (1980, reaching number 77) and "Suzi Found a Weapon" (1981, reaching number 55). VanWarmer would later write country songs for several artists, including The Oak Ridge Boys, who scored a hit with "I Guess It Never Hurts to Hurt Sometimes" (1984), and Alabama, co-writing "I'm in a Hurry (And Don't Know Why)" (1992). He died from leukemia at age 48. (bio by: C.S.)

Burial:
Cremated, Ashes scattered.

Randy Vanwarmer - Just When I Needed You Most

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Kiss from a Rose" was written in 1987, several years prior to the release of Seal's eponymous debut album from 1991. After writing the song Seal felt "embarrassed by it" and "threw the tape in the corner". Seal did not present it to producer Trevor Horn until the recording sessions for Seal II. In 2015, Seal said of the song: "To be honest, I was never really that proud of it, though I like what Trevor did with the recording. He turned that tape from my corner into another 8 million record sales and my name became a household name."
"Kiss from a Rose" was the second single taken from the Batman Forever film soundtrack, and topped the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 for one week in August 1995. It also went to number four on the UK Singles Chart. The single originally made it to #20 in 1994, but upon being re-released after being featured in the film, it reached the top position. It also won the MTV Movie Award for Best Song from a Movie in the 1996 edition. Seal talked about the long, strange journey that the song went through on The Brian McKnight Show season finale that aired 30 May 2010. He described how the song initially dropped out of the charts shortly after its release. Joel Schumacher subsequently called Seal, and requested use of the song to play over a love scene between the characters played by Nicole Kidman and Val Kilmer in Batman Forever. Although the song was eventually not incorporated into this scene, it was instead used to play over the end credits; Seal believes this change contributed to the song's eventual popularity.
The original version is set in a photographic studio and was co-directed by Matthew Rolston and William Levin. The 1966 film Blowup was heavily referenced in the video.
The second version was directed by Joel Schumacher and has Seal performing the song beside the Bat-Signal, interspersed with clips from the film Batman Forever, with one clip from Batman Returns. This is the more popular video of the song. The director of photography of this version of the music video was Neil Abramson.

Seal - Kiss from a rose

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Purple Rain" is a song by Prince and The Revolution. It is the title track from the 1984 album of the same name, which in turn is the soundtrack album for the 1984 film of the same name, and was released as the third single from that album. The song is a combination of rock, R&B, gospel, and orchestral music. It reached number 2 in the United States for two weeks, behind "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" by Wham!, and it is considered to be one of Prince's signature songs. It was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America in 1984, shipping one million units in the United States, and was certified silver by the British Phonographic Industry in 2013.
Following Prince's death in 2016, the song rose to number one on the US and UK iTunes Charts, allowing "Purple Rain" to re-enter the Billboard Hot 100 at number 17, later reaching number four. It also re-entered the UK Singles Chart at number 6, making it two places higher than its original peak of number 8. Originally peaking at number 12 in France, "Purple Rain" reached number one on the national singles chart. As of April 30, 2016, it has sold 1,186,215 copies in the United States

Prince - Purple Rain

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Michael Barratt (born 4 March 1948), known as Shakin' Stevens, is a platinum-selling British rock and roll singer and songwriter who was the UK's biggest-selling singles artist of the 1980s. His recording and performing career began in the late 1960s, although it was not until 1980 that his commercial success began.
In the UK alone, Stevens has charted 33 Top 40 hit singles including four chart-topping hits "This Ole House", "Green Door", "Oh Julie", and "Merry Christmas Everyone"; his last Top 40 single was "Trouble" in 2005 apart from his Christmas song, which has re-entered the UK Top 40 chart each December since 2007.

Shakin' Stevens ~ Teardrops

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"I Should Have Known Better" was a UK number one single for one week in December 1984 for Jim Diamond. The song was displaced after one week by Frankie Goes to Hollywood's song "The Power of Love". Diamond publicly requested that people not buy his single, but instead buy "Do They Know It's Christmas?"
"I Should Have Known Better" was re-recorded for Diamond's 1993 solo album Jim Diamond. He recorded the song a third time for his 2005 single "Blue Shoes", which also featured a re-recording of "I Won't Let You Down" and covers of old soul songs such as "My Girl".

Jim Diamond - I should have known better

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Hold Me" is a single by British-American rock group Fleetwood Mac. The song was the first track to be released from the 1982 album Mirage, the fourth album by the band with Lindsey Buckingham acting as main producer with Richard Dashut and Ken Caillat.
"Hold Me" was written by Christine McVie and Robbie Patton and sung by McVie and Lindsey Buckingham. Released in June 1982 in advance of the album itself, the song became one of Fleetwood Mac's biggest hits in the US, peaking at number 4 for seven consecutive weeks and ranking at number 31 on the Hot 100 year-end chart for 1982.
It is alleged that the song was about McVie's turbulent three-year relationship with Dennis Wilson, who struggled with alcoholism throughout their time together.
In the UK, "Hold Me" was not a successful single. It was first released there in July 1982 and failed to chart. It became a quite popular radio hit however, and it was eventually re-issued in February 1989 to promote the group's 1988 Greatest Hits package with "No Questions Asked" as the B-side. It only reached number 94.
The song is also included on the 2002 US version, and 2009 UK re-issue of the album The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac.
The music video for "Hold Me" features the band in a surreal scenario set in a desert based on several René Magritte paintings. In the video, Christine McVie is in a room with many paintings, searching for Buckingham in the desert with a telescope. Buckingham discovers Nicks lying on a chaise longue and paints her, while in other scenes John McVie and Fleetwood are archaeologists. The desert itself is littered with broken mirrors, which serve as a motif in the video, and with violins and the electric guitars and other instruments.
Due to the band members' strained relationships at the time, the video shoot in the Mojave Desert was "a fucking nightmare" according to producer Simon Fields. "[They] were, um, not easy to work with" agrees Steve Barron, who directed the clip. "It was so hot, and we weren't getting along" recalls Stevie Nicks. Lindsey Buckingham was still not over their breakup six years earlier, nor her subsequent affair with Mick Fleetwood. Further, she elaborates, the rest of the band was angry with Fleetwood because he had then begun an affair with Nicks' best friend, who left her husband as a result, causing serious issues for Nicks.
"Four of them—I can't recall which four—couldn't be together in the same room for very long. They didn't want to be there", says Barron. "Christine McVie was about ten hours out of the makeup trailer. By which time it was getting dark." According to Fields, "John McVie was drunk and tried to punch me. Stevie Nicks didn't want to walk on the sand with her platforms. Christine McVie was fed up with all of them. Mick thought she was being a bitch, he wouldn't talk to her."

Fleetwood Mac - Hold Me