• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

a wild guess...

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
My personal view......

The Gen Y folks are the most pathetic lots. They did not go through what the generation or generations before them had gone through. Integrity, Hardworking, Sense of Responsibility, Urgency, and Honesty are the least thing on their mind.

You can't simply trust them with your expectation. Where some meet your expectations, you should consider it as a bonus.

Some of these folks learned something, gather meagre knowledge, and resign to assume higher responsibility from another company. For the first few months, they were ok but the true color shows on the 3rd or 4th month. By the 6th month, they are usually looking around again. Some fortunate ones, they stayed slightly longer where they have suckers backing them up.

I have seen these similar scenes repeating itself at my clients' place. Some even show prospective employer works that are copied/done by their colleagues from the previous company and pass off as theirs.

To be the devil's advocate, I encourage my business associates to give these prospective employees a 15 minutes task to accomplish. Sadly, only 1 or 2 are able to accept the challenge.

was thinking about the recent article that suggested Gen Y folks aren't exactly loyal to their companies, and see job switching as a norm.

upon some reflection, i thought it could be partly due to the fact that there was so sense of grounding, which could be related to the fact that students do not get a fixed group of mentors guiding them when they were in their formative years.

just how many folks have gone thru' the local education system without the change of teachers and mentors? :confused: it's just another cascading effect... seen changes too many a times to start feeling it as a norm...

secondly, when the company doesn't invest to train up and retain the students, you'd thought the student would linger around? got to pay competitive rates for the students to feel committed, or give the students ownership, for the very least.

thirdly, do the Gen Y folks truly enjoy what they are doing? seems to me the interests for any particular subject tend to wane very quickly... any bros like to throw some light on this matter per se?

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zhihau, much of the fault lies with companies themselves, who:

• increasingly hire on a contract basis (6 mths, 1 year contract, etc)
  • view employees as a cost unit rather than a productivity unit: in other words, think of employees in terms of how much is costs the company rather than the value added services the employee brings
  • pay increasingly less attention to long term commitment and instead pay more attention to "just-in-time" hiring & manufacturing

Totally agree.
Loyal to the company is redundant...these companies see employees just workers and not assets....unlike google structure of rewarding employees.

If companies treat employees like this....how do they expect employees be loyal with them??...

Loyal to career is much better.

:o :( :o

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Totally agree.
Loyal to the company is redundant...these companies see employees just workers and not assets....unlike google structure of rewarding employees.

If companies treat employees like this....how do they expect employees be loyal with them??...

in this time and age, only a idiot will believe in loyalty to a company or patriotism to a country..

PAP MOTTO:
ASK NOT WHAT I CAN DO FOR MY COUNTRY BUT HOW MUCH MY COUNTRY CAN PAY ME TO DO IT.

Z

Zombie

Totally agree.

You may like to read this, especially the part highlighted.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9984354-16.html

July 6, 2008 5:44 PM PDT
Google's fallibility: Daycare that only an elitist could love (and afford)
Posted by Matt Asay 7 commentsShare
Digg Del.icio.us Reddit Facebook Email Print

Google continues to be at the top of its game, shoving Microsoft and Yahoo! aside in search market share and pushing into new markets, like its innovative slant on collaboration with Google Docs. But in one area Google is proving to be human, all too human:

Daycare.

The New York Times dissects Google's recent problems with its daycare (allegedly jacking up the price to accommodate Sergey Brin's sister-in-law's beliefs on the one true way to do daycare), concluding:

Google may be providing the greatest day care ever, but so what? It doesn't matter how good the day care is if only its wealthiest employees can afford to use it. If Google had really wanted to do something path-breaking about its day care crisis, it would have spent less time creating elitist day care centers and more time figuring out how to "scale" day care for everybody no matter what their salaries.

Instead, Google has shown that it thinks about day care the same way every other company does -- as a luxury, not a benefit. Judging by what's transpired, that's what Google is fast becoming: just another company.

Which is not to say that Google is a bad company. My problem with the situation is that Google felt the need to turn daycare into such an elitist experiment in the first place, making it so expensive that it then had to resort to tactics to shed many of its employees from the daycare rolls who wanted the service. (Read the Times' article for the details.)

Along the way, during meetings with concerned parents, Google's Sergey Brin apparently said that "he had no sympathy for the parents, and that he was tired of 'Googlers' who felt entitled to perks like 'bottled water and M&Ms'." I bet. But that's precisely the culture Brin has helped to foster at Google, and it is his sister-in-law who turned the daycare system into an entitlement so overwrought that Google was bound to have to cancel it for many of its employees...and then face their ire.

Google hasn't done anything egregiously wrong. It simply built up expectations too high. What will happen when the Oddwallas are replaced by bottled water (generic, not Evian)? When the organics-laden cafeterias give way to preservative-laced cafeterias?

As Google becomes mortal - something that it increasingly appears to be as its stock drifts - it will become more and more like other companies. Is it prepared to suffer this blow to its own self-created myths?

I think it is. But the company will need to start weaning its employees from the entitlement-nipple it has created for them, starting now

No matter how great the leadership, and how well the company values its employees, that is not going to prevent any possibilities that employees may just turn into fat sitting buddhas after a few years.