• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

154th:Money No Enuff? Fish in Long Kang Loh!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Canal fish taste test</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>metalslug84 <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Jul-10 9:52 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 9) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>16779.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>http://www.soshiok.com/articles/13343
Canal fish taste test

Tue Jul 07 2009
Yusof Abdol Hamid
The Sunday Times

cookst_sk.jpg

LifeStyle food reviewer Wong Ah Yoke ate the fish. Did it taste any different?

Singapore, July 4, 2009 - Canals running through neighbourhod estates can yield a surprising harvest for anglers.

When security officer Andre Lim wants to eat seafood, he heads for the canal near his Bishan HDB flat, a 10-minute stroll away.

Armed with a rod, hook and line, he usually does not have to wait more than 15 minutes before he reels in something suitable for dinner.

He has caught varieties such as tilapia, haruan and catfish.

“Once I caught two eels, which my wife made into a tasty Japanese-style dinner,” he says. The 49-year-old has been fishing since he was five.

Amateur fishermen like Mr Lim are finding that canals in neighbourhoods such as Pasir Ris, Clementi, Jurong, Kallang and Rochor can yield a rich harvest of fish. The canals are located near HDB and residential estates.

A spokesman for the Public Utilities Board, whose responsibilties include the water that runs through canals and drains, advises the public against entering the canals as they are prone to sudden rapid flows and rising water levels during heavy and intense rain.

Many of the city fishermen can be found on fishingkaki.com, a local website which boasts a membership of almost 30,000. It was launched in 2004.

On the site, they post pictures of themselves with their catch, some of which are bigger than their torsos. Here, anglers also share the best fishing locations.

One of them, Mr Terry Wang, 23, and his 50-year-old father have been fishing in the canal opposite Jurong Primary School for the last 10 years.

The ST Logistics officer says: “It requires a lot of patience to fish. I do it mostly to accompany my father and to relax.”

His most impressive catch was a 6kg snakehead, or “toman” as it is more commanly known here.
Unlike Mr Lim, Mr Wang does not eat the fish he catches. He releases them back into the canal. “This preserves the fish population and allows them to grow.”

Mr Roy Phua and his 14-year-old son also fish for leisure.

The 50-year-old Civil Defence officer, who fishes at a canal in Clementi, says that it is a good way to spend time with his son.

He adds: “We usually catch nothing. It’s really just about enjoying the activity.”

Mr Davy Ong, who owns a fishing tackle shop in Bussorah Street, says he has fished at nearly every drain and canal in Singapore.

The 35-year-old says: “The most unexpected place was a drain next to Somerset MRT, where I caught a big tilapia. People just stared at me in disbelief.”

But he bemoans the fact that local anglers have fewer fish to catch and fewer places to catch them at.

He estimates that there are about 20 legal fishing spots.

Furthermore, he says, foreign workers trying to catch their meals contribute to the problem of overfishing.

According to him, once the fish population is wiped out at a location, it takes four to five years for the fish to return.

Anglers are also losing fishing spots to urbanisation, as areas get walled off or covered by construction projects.

Mr Ong used to fish at a drain near Teban Gardens, where he says he was able to find some varieties unique to the area.

Shaking his head, he says: “One day, I went there with my friend and found that the drain has been replaced by a construction site.”

Fishing spots
Where: Lower Seletar Canal, Nee Soon Road
What you can find: Giant snakehead, peacock bass and featherback

Where: Jurong Canal, junction of Jurong Canal Drive and Jurong East Avenue 1
What you can find: Giant snakehead, carp and tilapia

Where: Sungei Tampines, runs along Pasir Ris Town Park
What you can find: Barramundi, barracuda and garoupa

Where: Rochor Canal, opposite Sim Lim Square, along Rochor Canal Road
What you can find: Tilapia and luohan
fishst_sk.jpg

Canal fish taste test
Are canal fish edible? LifeStyle finds out.

A 20cm pearl-spot chromide, a relative of the tilapia, was caught in the Kallang canal and frozen overnight. The next morning, it was taken to the kitchen of culinary consultant Violet Oon, where her chef and events executive, 29-year-old Joe Heng, cooked the fish.

He said canal fish might have a “muddy’’ smell so he deep-fried the fish and garnished it with fried garlic. He also prepared a Thai-style dipping sauce of fish oil, chopped chilli padi and shallots.

LifeStyle food reviewer Wong Ah Yoke ate the fish and said it did not taste any different from other fish.

He said: “I expected the fish to taste a bit muddy, but it did not. I’m glad Joe fried the fish as opposed to steaming.”

He said that while steaming would have brought out the smoothness of the flesh, it might also bring out the muddy smell of the fish.

Overall, Mr Wong pronounced that the fish was perfectly edible and tasted normal.

But he added: “I wouldn’t eat it regularly, though. Who knows how clean the water is?”

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

pocoyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Clementi and Jurong

I can't believe local catch the fishes from longkang and eat them which I thought only the cheapskate foreign workers would do.

In sg, all the longkangs are actually collecting all the dirts from all the housing, industrial estates and whatever you can think of.

Especially in places like industrial estates where chemical waste or toxic substances are produced, sure every now and then got someone throw this kind of stuff to the longkang even it's against the law.

I remember many years back, there had been many cases whereby thai workers were found dead when they were asleep.

Personally I suspect this has something to do with the fishes they eat which were caught from the longkang. Cause thai workers are well known in doing that.

Longkang fishing is very different from the one done in forest or sea where the water is not polluted by toxic substance most of the time.

This newspaper very bad, go and encourage people to fish in longkang. If the fisherman never eat their catch still ok. Otherwise whoever promote it sure will get bad karma lah..

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Clementi and Jurong

I can understand fishing for sport or as a hobby, but to put food on the table? Living in cities these days, it is unthinkable! People around where I live fish in large lakes like Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe where the waters are much cleaner than the longkangs in Singapore, and still, we are all reluctant to consume the fish caught for fear of the pollutants and toxins in the fish, I am very skeptical about the fish form your longkangs, Do check before frying them.

Cheers!

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't believe local catch the fishes from longkang and eat them which I thought only the cheapskate foreign workers would do.

In sg, all the longkangs are actually collecting all the dirts from all the housing, industrial estates and whatever you can think of.

Especially in places like industrial estates where chemical waste or toxic substances are produced, sure every now and then got someone throw this kind of stuff to the longkang even it's against the law.

I remember many years back, there had been many cases whereby thai workers were found dead when they were asleep.

Personally I suspect this has something to do with the fishes they eat which were caught from the longkang. Cause thai workers are well known in doing that.

Longkang fishing is very different from the one done in forest or sea where the water is not polluted by toxic substance most of the time.

This newspaper very bad, go and encourage people to fish in longkang. If the fisherman never eat their catch still ok. Otherwise whoever promote it sure will get bad karma lah..

Yes I dunno what is more pathetic with this piece of propaganda.
Is it sinkies now have to find leisure going to longkang or that they have to find their own food to supplement income.....and the food is smelly longkang fish. Really when will the 70% go wake up?

tester

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nocturnal Pressing Spirit Attacks

There may be other factors for the phenomenon you observed, e.g.,:
During the 1970`s and 1980`s when an outbreak of this syndrome began, many of the Southeast Asians were not able to worship properly due to the guerrilla war against the government of Laos with the United States. Hmong people believe that when they do not worship properly, do not perform religious ritual properly or forget to sacrifice, the ancestor spirits or the village spirits do not protect them, thus allowing the evil spirit to reach them. These attacks induce a nightmare that leads to sleep paralysis when the victim is conscious and experiencing pressure on the chest