• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

thinking aloud...

jw5

Loyal
Good evening bro scoobyhoo.

Agree with you, the soul is "money" and money is the root to all evil. :biggrin:
joker
It is not money that is the root of all evil, but rather the love of money that is the root of all evil.

PAP_agent

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is nothing wrong with being less politically motivated. What do you want from 'soul'? Endless demonstrations? Quarrels? Singaporeans are no less intelligent than other people, and have chosen to vent in more quiet manners, like here.

Singaporeans have found their expressions in other areas and are no less passionate about their occupations compared to other countries. If you think we're not vibrant enough you can only blame these individuals for not possessing enough talent to invent truly great things.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
There is nothing wrong with being less politically motivated. What do you want from 'soul'? Endless demonstrations? Quarrels? Singaporeans are no less intelligent than other people, and have chosen to vent in more quiet manners, like here.

when the country lacks of soul, it lacks the passion to promote stronger bonding amongst her peoples, it lacks the passion to promote care and concern for her peoples, and it lacks the passion to push itself into higher grounds. you've seen how folks are streaming out? you've seen how many other folks are streaming in? no matter how you look at it, if this is the way things are going to be, Singapore will always be a state of migrants, fresh migrants and more migrants...

the constant flux will make it hard for a national identity to take shape, and her Government will constantly have to battle issues raised from the new migrants and the retention of her natives. i'm not advocating hardcore nationalism like how the Nazis did, but at least a decent sense of belonging to the homeland, at least a longing to live and perhaps die in the place of birth.

our ancestors gave up the nomadic culture and banded together, it proves to show that unity is strength, and truly advantageous in bringing the civilization to a higher level of competency. no doubt technology has given us plenty of opportunity to settle where ever we want to, whenever we want to. but is that how we truly want it? is it the only way we've learned to live it?

can Singapore truly sustain herself by replenishing herself with more migrants and more migrants as more and more of her natives find themselves moving out? sounds more like a hotel than a nation, if you'd asked me. some would had even mistaken it to be a corporation. i would be proud to be a Citizen of a Nation, but i wouldn't be proud to be a tenant of a hotel or just an employee of a company.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
over 4 decades of nation building and our nation still lacks soul... what went wrong? :confused:

Don't worry, the Leegime is coming to an end. Take our neighbour for example, tolerance has its limit. When sinkies exploded, they don't give a damn to PAP and its threat. Enough is enough just like how we dealt with TT durai for cheating our monies.

PAP_agent

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore will never be a nation in the traditional sense of the word. For a nation to have the 'soul' you want, it needs a history, a self-sustaining economy/society, and probably abundant land for people to settle and roam around in. Then there will be sufficient events and shared experiences to form a rich history. This is just an island, not a country. No one will talk about singapore as a 'motherland'.

Even if my masters were the most compassionate and liberal government in the world, many locals will still leave, because the best opportunities exist outside singapore. So the best we can do is replace those we lost and keep this island afloat. Not even my masters are certain if this place can survive to eternity.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... Not even my masters are certain if this place can survive to eternity ...

even when we know that nothing lasts forever, why can't we make the best out if it now? can't we even make it a slightly better place for our own kids? Singapore is only a young nation 43 years old, if we don't start creating our identity now, when? :mad:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
a nation built with no compassion from the top and no sense of national pride just wouldn't be good :(

there was compassioni in the beginning. now only money counts. too many self-deceipts, too many illusions. one of the classic one would surely belong to:

ACHIEVING SWISS STANDARDS .....and being a GRACIOUS SOCIETY.....

kampong days were so much happier days.....poorer, simpler but definitely more humanistic and happier:rolleyes:

kanina

Alfrescian
Loyal
over 4 decades of nation building and our nation still lacks soul... what went wrong? :confused:

kanina, what is the soul of our Sinkapore nation? money? multi-racial, multi-religious? political apathy? etc etc? since you say to think aloud, i wonder if sinkapore people would be better now if the japanese still rule singapore. at least, we would not see so many shitskins, pinoys, pinays, ahtiongs flooding this tiny island. well, so much for thinking aloud.