• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

House renovation cost

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hiya this is my 1st time looking around for a contractor to renovate my pegion hole the last time when I got my old house renovated was 20 years ago and by a retired army buddy. I have been to a few contractors and I notice something funny about their price quotations. Some of them charge very cheap for the window grilles but more expansive on the doors and kitchen cabs. or vise versa. I don't mean a few dollars diff but a few hundred dollars diff. How can that be when materal cost is roughly the same :confused: Any of you got any advice or experience on renovation and is kind enough to share it with me please? Some of my friends advice me to go to different contractors that quote me the cheapest for that item rather than have 1 contractor package everything and charge higher for some of the items. Is that a wise move?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hiya this is my 1st time looking around for a contractor to renovate my pegion hole the last time when I got my old house renovated was 20 years ago and by a retired army buddy. I have been to a few contractors and I notice something funny about their price quotations. Some of them charge very cheap for the window grilles but more expansive on the doors and kitchen cabs. or vise versa. I don't mean a few dollars diff but a few hundred dollars diff. How can that be when materal cost is roughly the same :confused: Any of you got any advice or experience on renovation and is kind enough to share it with me please? Some of my friends advice me to go to different contractors that quote me the cheapest for that item rather than have 1 contractor package everything and charge higher for some of the items. Is that a wise move?

Hi 1sickpuppy,

Go for multiple contractors, most folks here will charge you a lot for a "complete" project rather than if you were to find contractor A to do this and contractor B to do that. Just get someone to do it area by area or item by item and do it SLOWLY. Do not be afraid to shop around, furniture in Kranji area, windows/grills call HDB contractor, rates are all published, lighting, etc go to Balestier area.

NEVER EVER take up a renovation loan, your wallet and you will not regret it. When a woman insists, ignore her for if you "cheong" and get loan straightaway, years later if you complain, she will just say, "Oh i say only what, its ok if you didn't do the expensive renovation"

I didn't have a wedding dinner and only had a simple reception at the ROM, only went to take expensive wedding photos and went to Korea & Japan for honeymoon. Then renovation, i spent less than 10k in total for the entire flat yet my flat, especially my kitchen looks expensive. Its just how you do it. In the end, no debts from wedding/renovation and looking back now, i am glad i didn't fall into that trap.

Hope this helps and that you have a beautiful home.

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal

Depends. cos material differences is there. eg. will be carpentry. some use solid plywood and some use hallow ply. But the price is open for all to see. Do take a few reno packages and compare. As for windows grilles, the standard will be alu hallow in sliver or bronze finish but some wants solid alu or add color (powder coating). Then some will prefer wrought iron window grilles. If ur living near coastal area (eg marine parade) then its best to get ur wrought iron galvanised. All these will be prices differences. btw, what unit size?

cheers

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the advice guys my unit is 96sqm 4rm at Sembawang. The cheapest package for window grille, kitchen cab (solid top), ele. installation + water heater installation, 3 classic bedroom doors and 2 folding bathroom doors, 1 master bedroom built in wardrobe and 1 coat of paint is $5790. When I compare with other contractors the window grille and doors are cheaper but the wardrobe cost over $200 more. Hence my wife and friends were telling me to get this contractor to do what he charge cheaper and the rest ask others that are cheaper to do.

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the advice guys my unit is 96sqm 4rm at Sembawang. The cheapest package for window grille, kitchen cab (solid top), ele. installation + water heater installation, 3 classic bedroom doors and 2 folding bathroom doors, 1 master bedroom built in wardrobe and 1 coat of paint is $5790. When I compare with other contractors the window grille and doors are cheaper but the wardrobe cost over $200 more. Hence my wife and friends were telling me to get this contractor to do what he charge cheaper and the rest ask others that are cheaper to do.

Cheapest is not always the best way out. Most of the time u would rather pay more to last u another 5 years then to seek out another contracter in 1 year time. 200 more is not a mega sum to pay.

Dont be penny wise pound foolish.

balecrone

Go for the best contractor if not you may face many problems as they may give wrong cost information. Wish you good luck.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

get someone to do it area by area or item by item and do it SLOWLY. Do not be afraid to shop around, furniture in Kranji area, windows/grills call HDB contractor, rates are all published, lighting, etc go to Balestier area.

Saw a t-shirt. Cannot remember actual word but here's a roughly:

If you want a cheap and good job, it won't be fast.
If you want a cheap and fast job, it won't be good.
If you want a good and fast job, it won't be cheap.

Currently, Doing renovation for my new office. Wuqi is right on the SLOWLY part. Will do the same if this is for my home. However, for my office, I am more tolerant. I also need to get everything up by 1st Feb (2 weeks).

If possible, get someone you know or can trust. Cos' anything went wrong, can always Fxxk him until things become correct.

thmejlfm

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi! Bros/Sis

I am now looking for contractor to renovate my new house. Waiting for their quotation, can wait till neck long long. Three weeks still no news from them. May I know regarding the flooring, Parquet and Laminated flooring, which one is more expensive in Malaysia. As for the roof, using iron I beam or Wooden timber, which one is cheaper? Anybody tried before?

Please advise. Thank you

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
renovation contractors are all crooks.........everything in black and white and never pay them in full until everything's completed.

General

Alfrescian
Loyal

did you try 'PCK Private Limited'?

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My personaL advice : hire a Contractor whom you have no Liinks at aLL, forget about your best friend's recommendations; the Least you know him the better.ALways have at Least a 10% retention fees in your contract.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very cheap liao less than $6k. Now labor cost increase for painting whole unit already about $1200 for ICI paint. Kitchen cab + wardrobe at least $3000 or more depend on material.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone advised me to source the materials myself. In this way you can be sure that you don't end up with cheap lousy materials. Then you let the contractor do the job.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone advised me to source the materials myself. In this way you can be sure that you don't end up with cheap lousy materials. Then you let the contractor do the job.

If u in the line then u know how to source, quality, quantity needed. If not how u going to manage?
Want to save cost. Is just like DIY car repair. Can or cannot?

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I totally agree with this point. Kenna before, now dun talk to my cousin's father-in-law. Before do, anything also can. After pay, change pattern.

My personaL advice : hire a Contractor whom you have no Liinks at aLL, forget about your best friend's recommendations; the Least you know him the better.ALways have at Least a 10% retention fees in your contract.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If u in the line then u know how to source, quality, quantity needed. If not how u going to manage?
Want to save cost. Is just like DIY car repair. Can or cannot?

Not everyone is a crook :smile: If you visit a few suppliers & talk to them. you'll get some honest answers.

As an owner don't you want to pick your own tiles, paints, etc :confused: Finding about the quality & prices of the materials shouldn't require that much extra effort. If you feel uncomfortable with the process, it may be worth while to employ an independant decorator. They will help in selecting materials, design, supervise the contractor etc. If you decide to go this route remember to get one that is independant from the contractor. So as to avoid collusion:wink:

For example if you are doing your bathrooms you get to choose to buy branded products like Grohe bathroom fixtures which are better than no name fixtures from China

The person who gave this advise had a bad experience where the contractor put in tiles which stained after a year. When you are dealing with unscrupulous contractors, you need to protect yourself.

PS: iF i am servicing a car I would take it to a respectable service shop which used genuine parts:biggrin:

Last edited:

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sam will advise you soon.