1,895 posts since Mar '05
- <a href="http://www.sgforums.com/forums/10/topics/358307#post_9056389" rel="bookmark"> <abbr class="updated" title="2009-05-01T23:20:39+08:00"> 01 May `09, 11:20PM </abbr>
Was watching the chinese programme 前线追踪 just now.
In it, it was reported that rental costs of a hawker stall of a certain hawker centre has been raised from $800-$900 per month, to $1700 per month. This is almost double. The reason for the raise is the most frustrating. There is no other reason, according to the authorities, but only because they did a market survey, and determined the market rate to be $1700.
My issue with the government is, why must everything be about market rate? Hawker food is one of the main methods to keep living costs affordable in Singapore. By doing this, they are causing a pressure to the hawkers to up their prices of food. This affects normal Singaporeans, like you and I. And the only reason for such an increase is market rate.
Why can't our government be more caring, and keep rental
costs low, so long as their own costs are covered? I don't see why they need to raise to market rates, except for earning a profit out of it.
It's very saddening, that they are doing this now, when the economy is so bad...
Anyway, have written an enquiry to young PAPs, I know my views will probably be ignored, but, well, I just wanted to give it a try...
Latest updates at Singapore News Alternative:
1. Goh Chok Tong Hospitalized For Chicken Pox
2. Singapore’s Good Class Bungalow transactions fall 51.3% in 2008
3. Bad debt charges may haunt Singapore banks
4. Shorter Work Months at Singapore Airlines
5. SingTel wins $500m contract with ANZ
6. Singapore restrict import of Canadian pork
7. Keppel loses rig contract
8. Singapore takes new measures to develop manpower capabilities
9. China's Commercialization of Censorship
10. Singapore's Metamorphosis Unveiled in Dubai
Latest videos updated:
1. PM Lee Hsien Loong's May Day Rally Speech - 4 parts
2. Tharman on how Spore is weathering the econ crisis - 2 parts