• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Doubling rental rates of hawker stalls after renovation

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.sgforums.com/forums/10/topics/358307

• soul_rage
    1,895 posts since Mar '05

• <a href="http://www.sgforums.com/forums/10/topics/358307#post_9056389" rel="bookmark"> <abbr class="updated" title="2009-05-01T23:20:39+08:00"> 01 May `09, 11:20PM </abbr>

Was watching the chinese programme 前线追踪 just now.

In it, it was reported that rental costs of a hawker stall of a certain hawker centre has been raised from $800-$900 per month, to $1700 per month. This is almost double.
      The reason for the raise is the most frustrating. There is no other reason, according to the authorities, but only because they did a market survey, and determined the market rate to be $1700.

My issue with the government is, why must everything be about market rate? Hawker food is one of the main methods to keep living costs affordable in Singapore. By doing this, they are causing a pressure to the hawkers to up their prices of food. This affects normal Singaporeans, like you and I. And the only reason for such an increase is market rate.

Why can't our government be more caring, and keep rental
      costs low, so long as their own costs are covered? I don't see why they need to raise to market rates, except for earning a profit out of it.

It's very saddening, that they are doing this now, when the economy is so bad...

Anyway, have written an enquiry to young PAPs, I know my views will probably be ignored, but, well, I just wanted to give it a try...
------------------------
Latest updates at Singapore News Alternative:

1. Goh Chok Tong Hospitalized For Chicken Pox
2. Singapore’s Good Class Bungalow transactions fall 51.3% in 2008
3. Bad debt charges may haunt Singapore banks
4. Shorter Work Months at Singapore Airlines
5. SingTel wins $500m contract with ANZ
6. Singapore restrict import of Canadian pork
7. Keppel loses rig contract
8. Singapore takes new measures to develop manpower capabilities
9. China's Commercialization of Censorship
10. Singapore's Metamorphosis Unveiled in Dubai

Latest videos updated:

1. PM Lee Hsien Loong's May Day Rally Speech - 4 parts
2. Tharman on how Spore is weathering the econ crisis - 2 parts

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yaboob.jpg

If I donch up rental, who will pay for my $$$million pay cheque and my running dog's French cooking lessons? U ah? Comprain some more and I'll issue u an 'F' grade! *chey*

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>> I don't see why they need to raise to market rates, except for earning a profit out of it.<<<

And who sets the "market rate" to begin with? =>

jt4aj5.gif

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is good that they have up rentals.

They have just shot themselves in the foot.

Next to taxi-drivers, hawkers are second to none in the FEAR GAME.

There may be NEWS REPORTS of flying soup and gravy the next time the MIWs visit hawker centers for their walk-a-bout.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There may be NEWS REPORTS of flying soup and gravy the next time the MIWs visit hawker centers for their walk-a-bout.

wait, these are sinkies, you think they will do that?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pay more for good service & maintence.....see any rats, just keep quiet! ok!...but rattus nea, rattus pappies, ratus rc...run for your life!... ha ha ha ha

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
The next thing They will up the maintenance fee of Geylang Serai Market for the Pest Controllers catching RATS.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
If they do that they will be labelled as mental cases, just like they are trying to label the ex taxi driver who burn Ah Seng, just to be politically correct.

Some have chosen this route. Others will choose alternate routes. Different strokes for different folks.

You can never be sure.