• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Govt should use money to help the poor and old instead of

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
...ah gua graduates

I mean, hello? They are graduates right, do they still need help from nanny government with all their academic qualifications and $5,500 a month (SMU says hor)

Please, help the weak and sickly and those who cannot fend for themselves

If the government nanny the graduates, they will turn out to be spineless useless people and these are supposed to be the best of our cohort?

Come on, please, this is ridiculous

Graduates, be a man, don't take the subsidy

If you do you are a chow ah gua

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_371092.html

MIDDLE-INCOME earners, especially those affected by the economic downturn, will get more help, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Friday.

He announced three new initiatives under the Skills Programme for Upgrading and Resilience (Spur) scheme targetted at professionals, managers, executives and technicians (PMETS) in his May Day rally address.

These include raising the absentee payroll cap from $6 to 10 an hour to support training for PMETs, as companies incur more costs when they send this group of workers for training.

'Their pay is generally higher, so when they go for training, the costs is higher. So the absentee payroll needs to be higher,' he told an audience of 1,400 that included ministers, members of parliament, trade unionists and members.

A Professional Skills Programme (PSP) will also be launched to encourage companies to employ new graduates and PMETS.

'Many students are coming out from universities and polys this year, I know they are very anxious, wondering where their jobs are going to come from, wondering how we are going to start working. We have this training scheme to encourage companies to employ them, train them, run them in,' Mr Lee said.

'It's like an apprenticeship, and as they acquire skills that are valuable to the companies and then the companies takes on the responsibilities for them.'

Another new scheme, called Spur-jobs, will be rolled out to co-fund companies for on-the-job training, job redesign and productivity improvements.

The Ministry of Manpower will announce more details later.

Mr Lee said Spur has been an effective scheme and is showing good results, noting that some 1,300 companies have signed up courses for about 82,000 workers.

He added that the Government has also been playing the offensive in creating new jobs and capabilities. The Economic Development Board, for example has been working hard to bring in new projects and getting existing companies to expand.

'I have been meeting investors and potential investors, to help EDB persuade them to do more here,' said PM Lee, who added that investors remain confident about Asia's prospects and are impressed with how the Singapore government and its people are responding.

Striking a cautious note, he said unless output picks up, Singaporeans must expect more job losses as companies trim back.

Read also:
3 potential stress lines
Be socially responsible

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha, today there was one guy

tried to pay for meal with credit card... with SMU tie-up one

sekali card not accepted, go to go ATM take money

i shake my head, just like American, everything sign sign sign

our future is bleak ... with youngsters having picked up all the useless Western values of living in debt, lack of respect for parents, all talk no action, etc

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
True, many graduates these days are leeches, who live with their parents, do not contribute and have no commitments, what they earn is spent on frills and unlike the poor and old, do not have survival issues.

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
U guys keep saying govt should use $ for this and that but I ask u govt still got $ ma? After they invested on all those toxic investments u are lucky we still got a country.