• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRC Girl: Are you calling me a prostitute?

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,200264,00.html?

Excuse me, xiao jie
Are you calling me a prostitute?
Woman splashes water at salesman for using 'uncouth' term
April 28, 2009

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_GYCHINA2.jpg

UPSET: Miss Wang (above) claims the salesman called her 'xiao jie' at least five times in a mocking tone. PICTURE: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS

IN Singapore, it is not uncommon to hear someone address a female stranger as 'xiao jie' (miss in Mandarin).

That was how one salesman addressed a woman who walked by his shop.

But that was also what got him into hot water with the woman, a Chinese national.

Why?

In China, the term 'xiao jie' is often used to mean 'prostitute'. It is seen as disrespectful to address a woman as 'xiao jie' there. (See report below.)

The incident took place last Tuesday at a handphone shop in People's Park Complex.

Around 4.30pm that day, a 26-year-old Chinese national who gave her name only as Miss Wang was walking past the shop with her friend, Miss Zhou, also 26.

One of the salesmen in the shop, who wanted to be known only as Ah Siang, told The New Paper that he called out 'da jie' (older sister in Mandarin) to the two women.

'I wanted to get their attention so they could take a look at the handphones in the shop,' the 19-year-old Malaysian said.

'One of the women then nudged the other and told her I had just called her 'da jie'. She also asked her friend if she looked very old.'

Thinking that he may have been rude to call the women 'da jie', Ah Siang then addressed them as 'xiao jie'.

But that did not sit well with Miss Wang, who took offence at being called 'xiao jie'.

In a phone interview with The New Paper, Miss Wang, who works as a designer in Singapore, claimed the salesman had called her 'xiao jie' at least five times in a mocking tone.

'He even asked me what that term meant. When I didn't respond, he shouted even louder at me,' she said.

'I didn't want to react initially. We are graduates and such name-calling is uncouth. He should have respected us.'

When Ah Siang and his colleague tried to reason with Miss Wang, she became more upset and splashed the water in a bottle she was holding at the colleague.

Miss Wang, who is from Liaoning in north-east China, admitted she did this.

Ah Siang claimed that Miss Wang also hit his colleague with the mineral water bottle, but the woman denied doing that.

Miss Wang claimed Ah Siang's colleague then spewed vulgarities at her.

Scuffle

A heated argument and a scuffle followed.

Miss Wang claimed one of the salesmen in the shop threw a stapler at them. It hit Miss Zhou in the abdomen. There were four or five employees in the shop at that time.

But Mr Anthony Lau, the shop's manager who was also there at that time, said that the stapler had accidentally hit Miss Zhou during the scuffle.

Miss Zhou sustained a bruise on her abdomen as a result.

The commotion drew a huge crowd of onlookers outside the shop.

After a while, Ah Siang said he and his colleagues stopped arguing with the women.

'We even told them to call the police if they wanted,' he added.

And the women did.

A police spokesman confirmed that the police received a report about the dispute at People's Park Complex at 4.30pm that day.

Miss Zhou, who was slightly injured, was advised on what she could do if she wished to pursue the matter, the spokesman added.

Ah Siang said he had no intention of causing any trouble by calling Miss Wang 'xiao jie'.

'Why would I want to find trouble with her? I just started work two days (before the incident),' he said.

Mr Lau added: 'I've had this shop for seven years. This is the first time something like this has happened.'

'The term 'xiao jie' is just a courteous way of addressing our female customers.'

He and Ah Siang claimed that they did not know that the term could be seen as derogatory to women in China.

But Miss Wang, who has lived in Singapore for three years, said: 'I'm sure many people in Singapore know what 'xiao jie' means in China.'

Geraldine Yeo, newsroom intern

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,200266,00.html?

She over-reacted, say other women from China
By Vivien Chan

April 28, 2009

IS it demeaning when 'xiao jie' is used in Singapore to greet women you don't know?

The New Paper checked with 43 female Chinese nationals who live here.

All said they would not be offended if they were called 'xiao jie' here and all felt that Miss Wang had over-reacted.

Most agreed that the term is commonly used nowadays in Chinese-speaking countries and it is not derogatory.

Ms Zhang Yan Ying, 28, a stall owner who has been here for a year, said: 'I think it depends on the society you're in. In China, people who use 'xiao jie' usually do it in a derogatory tone. It really depends on the tone the person uses. In Singapore, it's used as a form of respect.'

Madam Jane Huang, a home tutor in her 40s who has lived here for 17 years, agreed that it depends on where the woman is called 'xiao jie'.

'In China, I will feel offended only if someone calls me 'xiao jie' in a sleazy place,' she said. 'In large cities like Beijing, being called 'xiao jie' is common. I won't feel offended if a Singaporean calls me 'xiao jie'.'

Singaporeans who have lived in China or go there frequently said they were told not to address women there as 'xiao jie'.

Auditor Catherine Chin, 31, who travels to China for work, said: 'Our China colleagues told us, and so we never call the women 'xiao jie'.

'In a restaurant, we usually address (the waitresses) as 'fu wu yuan' (service staff in Mandarin). In Guangzhou, we call them 'leng lui' or 'leng zai' (pretty girl and handsome boy in Cantonese).'

Said Ms Carol Teo, 29, who worked in Shanghai for eight months in 2002: 'When I was in China, I used 'xiao jie' and nobody reacted to it. I only stopped when my friend told me it was not very nice.

'In China, you can use 'gu niang' (another term for Miss in Mandarin) or 'xiao gu niang' (young miss) instead of 'xiao jie'.'

Another Singaporean who has lived and worked in China for three years but who declined to be named, suggested that one just do away with the address.

Start the conversation with 'ni hao' (hello in Mandarin), she said, followed by what you wish to say.

There are other Mandarin words that foreigners have to watch out for in China.

For instance, you may refer to your domestic helper in Singapore as 'nu yong' (maid). In China, you should call her 'Ah Yee' (aunty) instead.

And to a driver or chauffeur, don't use the direct Mandarin translation of 'shi ji'. Instead, use 'shi fu' (master in Mandarin).

Additional reporting by Joanna Hor, Audrey Tan, Kay Tan and Han Yongming, newsroom interns

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Xiao chie means "Miss"...what is wrong with that?..should have called he 'auntie', 'bitch' opr maybe Chee bye?..what is wrong with xiao jie?...

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... But Miss Wang, who has lived in Singapore for three years, said: 'I'm sure many people in Singapore know what 'xiao jie' means in China.' ...
丫頭 ...

in china, u can kpkb abt tis ... but tis is sg ... u muz understand sg n dun anyhow kpkb ...

tis ze way ppl in sg call women ... ppl respect u den oni call u 'xiao jie' ... otherwise, ppl call u 'oei' ... wait ppl call u 'ah soh' ...

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Xiao chie means "Miss"...what is wrong with that?..should have called he 'auntie', 'bitch' opr maybe Chee bye?..what is wrong with xiao jie?...

u should take a trip to China..cheap airfare, only few hundred bucks...

and address any ladies in the street as xiao jie...

see if the mob will mow you down...:biggrin:

maybe if you say 美女...things might turn out differently? LOL...

Last edited:

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
But Miss Wang, who has lived in Singapore for three years, said: 'I'm sure many people in Singapore know what 'xiao jie' means in China.'

I'm sorry, I don't.

I think the logic's been reversed here: You come here for x number of years, and you assume people should know your culture/language?

I thought it was THE OTHER WAY ROUND.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
丫頭 ...

in china, u can kpkb abt tis ... but tis is sg ... u muz understand sg n dun anyhow kpkb ...

tis ze way ppl in sg call women ... ppl respect u den oni call u 'xiao jie' ... otherwise, ppl call u 'oei' ... wait ppl call u 'ah soh' ...

another common way of greeting man or woman here by the service staff or marketing personnel, 'Harlo???', 'Yes????'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
vivian_balakrishnan_sec_4.jpg

Integration is a two-way process. Both new citizens and local born citizens should make the effort to reach out to one another...

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
'I wanted to get their attention so they could take a look at the handphones in the shop,' the 19-year-old Malaysian said.

jobsFTns.jpg

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sorry, I don't.

I think the logic's been reversed here: You come here for x number of years, and you assume people should know your culture/language?

for the past 9 years, the PRCs population in SGP has risen exponentially...

maybe there are unreported incidents?

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sorry, I don't.

Bloody hell!

PRC come to Singapore, so Sinkies must learn their ways? Must learn their language and their slang?

No more wujiaoji (five foot way). All become Hutong?

CCB PRC! I call you Da Jie! Plus I add one KNNBCCB at the end!

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought the Jins, Liaos, Mongols & Manchus and all assorted Barbarians including Old Fart came from North West China?

sadfcuk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bloody hell!

PRC come to Singapore, so Sinkies must learn their ways? Must learn their language and their slang?

Ditto that, bro.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bloody hell!

Damn fuck with the PRC prostitutes here in this report. She must know that she is in Singapore and she MUST behave in the local way.

In Germany the OK hand-and-fingure- with-a hole sign means the girl's "cunt" but when you do this hand signal in Singapore to a German I am sure they take it the local Singapore way and not fight over it.

The fuck Chinese only know how to copy-cat the western technologies and cannot come out with anything unique. After making some headway in economic growth, they act act in other smaller countires. I don;t see any of these situation happening in Canada bec. these whores in the first place cannot gain entry into Canada. Only the educated ones can come. All the whores go to Singapore. Fuck Lee Kuan Yew for its FT policies.

Just address politely all China Chinese girls and ladies "Chee"...i.e. "Chicken"...the must fitting term for all those whores....yes all of them are whores and male "ducks".

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>>Miss Wang, who is from Liaoning in north-east China<<<

Manchurian!

Tell that Miss "Wang"...in the USA "WANG" is "cock"...yea the male penis. She lives with the "cock" surname the rest of her life until she marry..perhaps marry to Mr. Loo or Mr. Wee..."Loo" is "toilet" and "Wee" is "wee wee" i.e. to pee pee or urinate!