• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In the event of a divorce, do I have a chance of fighting for an equal share?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>April 26, 2009
YOUR PERSONAL ADVISER: FINANCE
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Equal share of condo proceeds
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_SUNTIMES_1_CURRENT_READERS26_8.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->Q I am married, without any kids. My husband and I live in a condominium. His mother is a joint owner. He is paying for the home solely by himself, including the monthly housing loan and all other bills, while I am paying the monthly maintenance and conservancy fee of $300.
In the event of a divorce, do I have a chance of fighting for an equal share from the proceeds of the condominium?

A Normally a legal owner would have beneficial interest in the property. The beneficial interest acquired by the mother will be in proportion to her financial contribution. However, if the property was bought without any financial contribution from her, then it is arguable that she has no beneficial interest in the property.
Upon a divorce, the court can order the division of the sale proceeds attributed to the share in the condominium that is the matrimonial asset. For example, if the mother has a 30 per cent share, then only 70 per cent share in the condominium can be available for division between you and your husband.
The division will be in such proportions as the court thinks just and equitable, considering several factors such as length of marriage, and the parties' direct and indirect financial contribution towards acquisition of the matrimonial property.
Indirect contributions could include efforts to enhance the welfare of the family, looking after the home or caring for the family or any aged or dependant of either party. The facts that you have no children and that your husband's financial contribution is significantly more than yours are not factors in your favour.
Your contribution to the maintenance of the condominium is a factor in your favour. However, to have a higher chance of getting 50per cent of the matrimonial asset, you need to show there were extensive indirect contributions on your part.
Lie Chin Chin
Managing Director
Characterist
Advice provided in this column is not meant as a substitute for comprehensive professional advice. E-mail your questions to [email protected]