• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Today: Is there a need for by-election in Singapore?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
should we say bye to a by-election?
When Parliament sits today, the House will debate a call by two NMPs to fine-tune the laws governing by-elections

P N Balji

[email protected]

Nazry Bahrawi

[email protected]

LEGALLY, the verdict seems to be quite clear unless something comes out of today’s debate that was initiated by two NMPs. There is no need to hold a by-election in Jurong GRC although one of the five seats there has become vacant with the death of Dr Ong Chit Chung.
Politically, a by-election can be seen as a distraction and a waste of resources in a stable, smooth and quiet democracy like Singapore’s. So, should we stick by the rules and the politics and say bye to a by-election?
Outside the law and outside the politics, there are other factors at play. Here are some.
PRECEDENT: Sixteen years ago, in 1992, we did see a by-election — and in a GRC at that. Mr Goh Chok Tong, the Prime Minister then, decided to shoot for one in his Marine Parade constituency. That was an extraordinary period in Singapore’s politics of succession with both the DPMs, Mr Lee Hsien Loong and Mr Ong Teng Cheong, coming down with cancer at the same time.
And Mr Goh, wanting to make sure that his leadership team had enough good substitutes, decided to put his own constituency to the test. Mr Lim Chee Onn resigned andMr Teo Chee Hean replaced him in a by-election that the PAP won without much fuss.
The political calculations at that time could have been that Marine Parade voters would not gamble with their votes because a freak result would have meant the defeat of a PM. That scary thought and the fact that Mr Goh’s possible successors were in ill-health made that by-election decision not a difficult one to make.
One year later, MP Tay Eng Soon died and that threw open a vacant seat in Eunos GRC. Mr Goh decided against a contest in a constituency that saw a bruising fight with a Workers Party team that had Mr Francis Seow in the slate in the 1988 general elections.
With two precedents to go by, which way should the coin drop this time round? A closer look at the MPs and the constituency might offer an answer.
THE JURONG MPs: Mr Lim Boon Heng (PMO), Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam (Finance), Ms Grace Fu (National Development) and Mdm Halimah Yacob (NTUC) have more than enough on their plates. Mr Lim has got to worry about Singapore’s ageing society, Mr Shanmugaratnam about managing an unpredictable economy, Ms Fu about making our public housing more tasteful and liveable for a demanding population and Mdm Halimah about making sure that workers are not chucked out of jobs.
Not to mention that they all also have to take care of their own constituents. So, realistically speaking, can they be expected to also cope with the problems of the 116,000 residents in Bukit Batok, their former colleague’s constituency?
DR ONG CHIT CHUNG HIMSELF: It was the resonance he had with his constituents and grassroots that kept popping up in the condolence messages and eulogies. A servant-leader, described one who knew him well. I spoke to him to get a grounds-up understanding of constituency issues for my Rally speech, said the PM.
That is the kind of super-size shoes a 20-year veteran of coffeeshop politics has left behind to be filled by the four remaining MPs.
BUKIT BATOK ITSELF: The area’s demographic composition shows a predominantly working-class population. Residents there will continue to need a patient and listening ear. The triple monster of slowing economic growth, creeping unemployment and unbending inflation has made the need to help those at Bukit Batok, and in other parts of Singapore, even more urgent.
Whether it’s providing advice on how to make ends meet, ideas on where to find jobs, or just some soothing words of comfort ... the presence of a full-time MP can make a big difference. But an ever-shrinking political talent pool will make finding that potential successor to Dr Ong a real challenge.
Even if one is available, parachuting that person in may not be a sure-fire solution to the void left behind by Dr Ong.
Caught between a rock (the four MPs taking turns to help out) and a hard place (going for a fresh face in Bukit Batok), the Government has picked the former.
It is still early days. With the time frame for calling the next General Election about three years away, the leadership has the leeway to see how the four-MP arrangement pans out
IF I were a Bukit Batok resident, would I want a by-election? Listening to the arguments, this is my answer: There is no need for one.
This is definitely not the time for one. There are bigger issues to worry about. The slowing world economy is one. Inflation is another. With the Prime Minister having forecast a bumpy ride, the country needs all its people, whether leaders or citizens, to focus on one issue: To make sure we get out of this situation quickly. A by-election under these circumstances is a distraction, a waste of time and resources.
The death of MP Ong Chit Chung is a big loss and a blow to those he had reached out to with empathy and sympathy. But the residents have not been left to float aimlessly.
Now, they have four pairs of hands reaching out to help. And these are notordinary hands, they are those of four PAP heavyweights. Collectively or individually, they will be able to address many of the residents’ woes. And who is to say that their problems may not be solved even faster?
The four — Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam, Mr Lim Boon Heng, Mdm Halimah Yacob and Ms Grace Fu — will have the opportunity to get a direct feel of the problems faced by residents of their neighbouring constituency. The problems of a primarily blue-collar population, the folks who are facing inflation, unemployment and the influx of foreign workers, are the same.
Exposed to a bigger sample size — Bukit Batok on top of their respective wards — and a more diverse demography means they will be privy to more first-hand accounts of problems faced by Singaporeans. This can only benefit Singapore as a whole as the four strategise solutions to the multi-faceted problems.
Then there is the question of timing. At a time when so many are struggling to cope with the rising cost of living, should we focus our resources and time on a by-election?
The story would be different if the call was made a year or two back when Singapore was enjoying a good economic run. Now, it is perhaps better to focus on the problems the US banking crisis has thrown at us.
What about the residents who have dealt with Mr Ong for a long time? Well, there are enough examples where MPs have taken long breaks for various reasons. Take the case of MPs going on sabbaticals.
The most recent one would be that of Ms Penny Low of the Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC where I live. From August last year till January, Ms Low took sabbatical leave to pursue a fellowship at Yale University. Her absence did not affect me. But that could be because as a young, educated professional — of which Punggol, touted as a new dream housing estate, must have plenty — I am at a stage where I can still manage my finances and hence have less need to seek out an MP.
But if I did, I know at least that I have the option of going to a Meet-the-People Session, which was still held despite her absence, to engage one of the other MPs.
Ms Low was not the only PAP MP from a GRC to have taken sabbatical leave.
Others include Ms Irene Ng of Tampines GRC, who spent three months at the University of Edinburgh in 2006; Mr Mohd Maliki Osman of Sembawang GRC, who spent spring at the US as part of the Eisenhower Fellowship in 2005; and former MP Umar Abdul Hamid of Ang Mo Kio GRC, who was at Harvard University from 1994 to 1995.
We even had an MP — PAP’s Dr Chiang Hai Ding of Ulu Pandan — who spent half of his 14-year parliamentarian term abroad as he was also a diplomat. So, I ask, what is all this fuss about a by-election?

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Porfirio

The short answer is that constitutionally the PAP can make a case that there is no need for a by election as the MPs can cover for another. I can't wait though for a minority MP as gazetted by the P Elections act to die in office. For example that chap in Aljunied GRC if he has a sudden heart attack raises all sorts of legal possibilities if a by election is not called.

1. No Indian or Malay in a GRC hence the GRC is illegal and hence must be a by election of not one but all five seats, given that the official PAP reasoning is to ensure the minority representation

2. Can't say four cover for one as errrrr the rest not minority :_))

Locke

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no agree to argue so many points. It's basic democracy and rights of the voters to have a by-election when their MP has vacated the parliamentary seat.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tarmuggi maybe a possibility:biggrin:

PS. Must listen to the wayang in Parliament tonight:rolleyes:
. I can't wait though for a minority MP as gazetted by the P Elections act to die in office.
1. No Indian or Malay in a GRC hence the GRC is illegal and hence must be a by election of not one but all five seats, given that the official PAP reasoning is to ensure the minority representation

2. Can't say four cover for one as errrrr the rest not minority :_))

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I noticed this habit of associating what is written in law to be a fair. Something even the seated opposition tends to lean towards. The PAP has well above 2/3rd majority and can actually enact a law that allows for elections to held every 25 years or more. Than what? Would that stretch our tolerance.

An MP is elected for a purpose. The people make the decision to allow him to represent them in Parliament. Even in a half baked democracy its an important role. He dies and the seat becomes vacant. Surely someone must step in to cover the void. If a GRC (which I think is democratically unethical) has 5 MPs, its means that the load calls for exactly 5 MPs. For argument sake, why not remove one of 4 engines from the 747. I am told that it can still fly safely. Will probably save on maintenance cost.

I have no qualms if the next GE is around the corner but it is not. We are also not cash strapped and I understand that Temasek brought in a tidy profit (unfortunately my calculator does not take into account cash injections) so cost of having a by-elections in a country that prides itself for incorrutability, meritocracy and an array of other superlatives, cost of holding a by-elections should not be an issue.

Especially when hard times are here and guess when an MP is needed most?

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes this Nazry can be a real pap arse wipe or bodoh, take your pick. Makes you wonder how the bloody hell he got a scholarship to do a masters. I hope he get's his arse poked well and proper when he goes to the UK:biggrin:

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
they debating it in the parliament.
but personally,i do not think we should have one.
a lot of resource and money will be utilised.
with the present economic situation,not a good idea.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is there a need for by-election?

One answer appears to be that the GRC is a team and thus the duties can be covered by the other members.

I just want to add my own experience of living in a GRC. I only get to see my MP during the National Day celebrations where pictures of him and his teammates are all over the constituency, waving and smiling. I do not know what he does or how important is his work. All I know is that I received threatening letters from his town council of legal action if i do not pay up within the next 14 days and of course the late penalties. Thus, touch wood, if anything happens to him, it will not make any difference. There will still be smiling faces on cardboards and the town council will still carry on their effective work.

Thus there does not appear to have any need for by-election.

Last edited:

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with WP. People should focus & look at the justification of GRC ward existence, & not by-election in GRC ward, as this will only entrench the GRC concept. In other words, if there is no GRC in the first place, then in this case, there will not be any argument for by-election. 'Cos if it is a single-ward, then by-election is a must.

ahpong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is there a need for by-election?

One answer appears to be that the GRC is a team and thus the duties can be covered by the other members.

I just want to add my own experience of living in a GRC. I only get to see my MP during the National Day celebrations where pictures of him and his teammates are all over the constituency, waving and smiling. I do not know what he does or how important is his work. All I know is that I received threatening letters from his town council of legal action if i do not pay up within the next 14 days and of course the late penalties. Thus, touch wood, if anything happens to him, it will not make any difference. There will still be smiling faces on cardboards and the town council will still carry on their effective work.

Thus there does not appear to have any need for by-election.

Going by your arguement, there may not be a need to even have an MP to start with.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can't of course say what should be the opinion of others.

For myself, I am not sure what is the value of an MP. They are not around. You do not get to see them, unless it is their cardboard faces waving at you. Every election period, their supporters will send you a card telling you to stay at home because the MP is coming to visit you. And after the election? Cardboard faces all over again. So they don't seem to be relevant.

As someone has said in an earlier post above, MPs can go for long leave of absence and yet the constituency seems to run by itself - conservancy fees are collected, people who can't pay are properly sued, the estate kept clean and those in need of letters written can always approach other MPs within the GRC.

Perhaps from the perspective of the different political party supporters, the only value of an MP appears to be entry into Parliament and its value would be to deny or affirm the ruling party's 2/3 majority to implement its far-sighted policies.

Last edited:

apogee

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the by-election is not necessary as the other MPs are able to cover the job of the absent/dead MP - does it not then beg the question: Are there too many MPs?

guy2100

Alfrescian
Loyal
The truth of the matter is the PAP never did well in a by election. Why shake the boat when it's not sinking. If they are fearful of getting the mandate of the people now, how are they going to perform in 2011? The sad story is that with GRC making up 90% of parliamentary seats, by election is history in Singapore. All opposition parties must unite and engage the PAP in real bread and butter issues. They must fight for all seats and give Singaporeans the confidence that they intend to be the next government.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
All opposition parties must unite and engage the PAP in real bread and butter issues.

They must fight for all seats and give Singaporeans the confidence that they intend to be the next government.

*ahem*
Seems like quite impossible for them to unite.
Dun hamtam each other consider very good liao....

:o :biggrin: :o

DonJuanDemarco

Alfrescian
Loyal
They need a FT opposition to unite the parties la, maybe can give Anwar Singapore passport n' ask him to unite the opposition parties here hehehe :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited: