• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Zikapore Under Chemical Attack From Jiuhu! Gas! Gas! Gas!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
7797_1858_20170925190307_11fd76.jpg

SINGAPORE - Some Sengkang residents have complained of a strong acrid smell and smoke that permeated several areas in Singapore on Monday (Sept 25).

Several readers wrote in to The Straits Times from as early as 4pm on Monday afternoon to say they smelled a "burning", "chemical", or "petrol" smell.

Readers from various areas including Sengkang, Seletar, Yishun, and in other areas like Ang Mo Kio and Bishan, wrote in to ask about the smell, which one described as "choking".

The Straits Times understands that the fumes are believed to be from Johor.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force said in a Facebook post at 7.42pm that it has been receiving calls on the smell of gas or burning in the north-eastern part of Singapore.

"SCDF deployed its resources to investigate. There has been no confirmed incident," it said, adding that it was closely monitoring the situation along with the National Environment Agency.

About 20 calls had been made to the Singapore Civil Defence Force since late afternoon, ST understands.

Ms Tina Lim, 49, who works in a bank, said there was a "very strong burnt smell" in the air when she reached her home in Sengkang at about 5.30pm. "It didn't smell like haze. It's like something is burning."

The smell could be detected even in Ang Mo Kio. Ms Vivian Tan, a 35-year-old administration executive, told ST that she smelled a "weird smell" like diesel at Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 since 6.40pm.

Ms Lelavathi Annamali, who lives in Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, told ST that she started smelling "a very strong kerosene smell" around 6pm.

She went out and returned home at about 7.10pm and the inside of her home was very smoky, she said.

The smoke stung her eyes and affected her throat.

"The smell is very bad inside the house and is affecting the clothes too," said the 68-year-old retiree.

Bishan resident Jacky Kung told ST that he started smelling a petrol-like smell around 4pm.

"The smell was like petrol-like, quite pungent. I could feel my throat drying out and it felt a bit uncomfortable and choking," he said.

He went outside to see what had happened when the smell got stronger, and it seemed "a bit hazy", he said.

"I was wondering if it's a local thing that affected only my neighbourhood, but I went up to the highest floor of my block and it looked like it expanded across the horizon," he said.

The 18-year-old student said the smell had died down somewhat at about 8pm and was most intense between 4pm and 5pm.

He closed all the windows and that helped, he said.

Mr Osman Ahmad, a 59-year-old security guard at Seletar Country Club, told ST he noticed the smell of burning chemicals when he left his home at Pasir Panjang around 2pm.

When he stopped to transfer buses at Seletar he noticed the stench was even stronger and that people at the bus stop were covering their mouths and noses with tissue and handkerchiefs.

"You could see a layer of smoke about waist-level on the highway. It looked like a morning fog, which was beautiful but very smelly," he said.

He added that the smoke disappeared around 7.30pm and it was the first time in his three years at the job that the smell had been so bad.

"Usually it smells like the normal haze, but today you could tell that it was a chemical smell."

Others likened the smell to burning plastic bags.

The smell appeared to have spread to other parts of Singapore later on Monday night, with readers saying they picked it up in Toa Payoh and even Clementi.

NEA posted an update on the haze situation on its Facebook page at 6.38pm.

It said that the 1-hr PM2.5 concentration readings are expected to stay in Band I (Normal) for the next 24 hours, and the 24-hour PSI is forecast to be in the moderate range.

Several people left comments on the post asking about the burning smell, with some asking if it is toxic.

NEA later shared SCDF's post about monitoring the situation.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/environment/smoky-chemical-smell-in-various-parts-of-singapore

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I was wondering what that toxic 'burning plastic smell' was, and where it came from.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JohnTan again.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wtf is happening???

I've ordered the maids to keep all the windows shut and the AC running. Wife is now feeling sick from the fumes.

Are the jiuhukias trying to gas us good sinkies?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wait till the giant petronas penggerang refinery and petrochemical plant is ready. It will be a everyday affair.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wtf is happening???

I've ordered the maids to keep all the windows shut and the AC running. Wife is now feeling sick from the fumes.

Are the jiuhukias trying to gas us good sinkies?

How many maids, do you have?...must inform MOM to investigate all 'grass looters', they are allowed to employ MAIDS.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's why I like Punggol 21+ and SIT-without these projected 100,000 waterfront/eco "living'' units and the enterprise town, who is going to provide the air pollution filter/barrier for those living in the North East?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
North side got petroleum fumes. South side got peat fire haze. Sinkies will vote for Pap to protect us

Don't worry we have PAP minister that can stop the weather & even those who can sing up the economy....the PAP is the best...70% prostrate & bow to them.