• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Apple accused of deliberately slowing older products to persuade people to buy new iP

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://glitch.news/2017-09-20-apple...ts-to-persuade-people-to-buy-new-iphones.html

Is this true?

Many people cannot even imagine life without their smartphones, tablets and other electronic devices. Among the truest of all these die-hard electronics fans are those who are devoted to the Apple brand, eagerly awaiting the release of the latest iPhone, iPad or whatever else the company is unveiling. Many of these devoted fans would be devastated to know that they are possibly being manipulated by a clever marketing policy known as “planned obsolescence.”

Since each new phone or tablet released by Apple is basically just a fancier version of the last one, it could potentially be difficult for the company to get consumers to buy the newer devices. The solution? Planned obsolescence: “The policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete and so require replacing, achieved by frequent changes in design, termination of the supply of spare parts, and the use of non-durable materials” (Oxford Dictionary).

The idea behind planned obsolescence is that manufacturers build a certain lifetime into a product, after which it will simply stop working, forcing consumers to buy replacement items.

As Kalee Brown, writing for The Last American Vagabond, noted:

To be honest, if Apple was doing this, it would be a pretty smart business move. They launch new products periodically, and all of them are really just slightly fancier versions of their older models. People don’t often need these products, they simply want them. They only become a “need” when their older models break or malfunction.

So, a clever business move, albeit an entirely unethical and devious one that would leave a bitter taste in the mouths of most Apple product fans. (Related: Apple engineered surveillance back door into 600 million iPhones.)

The Daily Mail recently reported that Laura Trucco, a student at Harvard University, launched an investigation to determine whether the rumors that Apple deliberately slows down its older products around the launch time of new products, is true.

Trucco discovered that online searches for the words “iPhone slow” increase dramatically when a new iPhone is being launched. While it might be tempting to think that this could be people looking for an excuse to get themselves a new phone, if that were true other brands would show the same peak when releasing their new devices. This is not the case, however. When searching for the term “Samsung Galaxy slow,” for example, Trucco could find no similar increase in searches. (Related: For the latest information on technology, science and privacy issues see Glitch.news)

In an informal inquiry, the Mail asked its readers whether they had experienced problems with their devices slowing down around the time of a new iPhone release. The responses were mixed, with many saying that they had experienced that problem, while others claimed they had not noticed any change.

“This is common knowledge,” wrote one reader. “If you want to keep your iPhone running at the same pace do not do the software upgrade that comes out within six months of a new iPhone release.”

Of course, Apple and its representatives deny any knowledge of this.

“On every hardware release they tend to upgrade the chips and they are faster every time they are released,” claims Dom Ferkin, managing director of UK-based iOS experts, Creation Application. “Each year they release a new iOS. If you’re running an iOS 7 on a 5 chip, for example, it’s comparable to running Windows XP on a Windows 95 machine. It’s just enough to annoy the users, but it’s needed if you want the slew of new features that Apple releases each year.”

So, is Apple building its iPhones with a limited lifespan so that consumers will be forced to purchase new devices? It’s impossible to say for sure, but it seems that loyal Apple fans should be alert to the possibility.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Apple accused of deliberately slowing older products to persuade people to buy ne

With each IOS update, if you are using 2-3 generations back iPhones from the current generation, you can't help noticing that it starts to degrade in performance, the apps seems a bit slower, the battery life seems to last shorter, & so forth...you are 'subtly' pushed to UPGRADE your phone. That goes for the iPad...the Mac's...

Well, if they don't do this...how are they gonna make so much money?? That depend on the user, you are comfortable what you are using, there is no reason to upgrade..

I am using a simple Samsung Phone...cheap & good at the moment...my iPhone 5 or was it 5s...."gave up its ghost" a long time back...I am in-between upgrading...I don't trust Android OS & Apps that much...my Samsung phone has only native apps...all Samsung apps I removed, have only Whatspp. Twilight, Google apps & VLC, I have nothing else. I don't even do e-commerce or banking on my Samsung Phone...

I will be buying a iPhone latter...either a version 7 or version 6+...

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Apple accused of deliberately slowing older products to persuade people to buy ne

With each IOS update, if you are using 2-3 generations back iPhones from the current generation, you can't help noticing that it starts to degrade in performance, the apps seems a bit slower, the battery life seems to last shorter, & so forth...you are 'subtly' pushed to UPGRADE your phone. That goes for the iPad...the Mac's...

Well, if they don't do this...how are they gonna make so much money?? That depend on the user, you are comfortable what you are using, there is no reason to upgrade..

I am using a simple Samsung Phone...cheap & good at the moment...my iPhone 5 or was it 5s...."gave up its ghost" a long time back...I am in-between upgrading...I don't trust Android OS & Apps that much...my Samsung phone has only native apps...all Samsung apps I removed, have only Whatspp. Twilight, Google apps & VLC, I have nothing else. I don't even do e-commerce or banking on my Samsung Phone...

I will be buying a iPhone latter...either a version 7 or version 6+...

That is why I have never been a fan of faggot phones...only IDiots use iPhones

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal

Old trick by apple….the solution is not to upgrade your iOS more than two generations….if your phone comes with iOS7 go to iOS9 max, then stop or the next update will cripple your phone. I cant imagine trying to run animpjis on an old iOS….will completely slow the iphone down to a craw…yet there will be fucktards who try this.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

What is there to think - they have been doing this from the very start. Whether it is design or planned , new app and more technology requires more space and speed - newer chips, larger storage equals to newer models.

People have choices. Its not like the PAP.

All the devices are connected, the security protection is superb, chic magnet, classy design, single touch payment with no personal data leaving the device etc.

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal

sometime my samung phone force me to upadate. if I don't..i cannot proceed further. what you wanna do?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

All phones have to upgrade due to new technology to drive new apps, functions, features etc. Except that Apple and Samsung do it faster and thats why they both lead. There is very little difference between the two in terms of hardware, the software is a whole different ballgame.

sometime my samung phone force me to upadate. if I don't..i cannot proceed further. what you wanna do?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Well, if they don't do this...how are they gonna make so much money?? That depend on the user, you are comfortable what you are using, there is no reason to upgrade.......

I received my new iphone 5 minutes ago. I decided to go with an 8 because of the faster internals. It should last me 2+ years. By then OLEDS screens should be more common.

Anyone who has ever owned a computer knows about the problem of featuritise. If the OS is not updated people complain that the iPhone is falling behind android. Apple is simply giving the majority of iPhones owners what they want, new features. Most users see their iPhones as game machines.

Some may decide to skip updates but don't forget that some of these updates may be critical patches against viruses, malware, bugs,....etc

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

The best advice is to boycott if you have no idea what is going on around you.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The best advice is to boycott if you have no idea what is going on around you.

I have already set my mind to BOYCOTT the P.E., for the President is should be sELECTED...I voted against KFC TAN, I got KFC TAN...I am willing to BOYCOTT..."thambi daughter"...I still get "THAMBI DAUGHTER"...we have such a pathetic nation. I have an idea of whats going around me...but can never understand the stupidity of most Singaporeans?...it is amazing & astonishing!...it is either genetic from a bad stock or they inherited some sort of mind sickness...:p

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

This is called planned obsolescence. All tech companies employ this tactic to earn from suckers but Apple is the most serious offender since they have total control over both hardware and operating system

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal

I decided to go with an 8 because of the faster internals. It should last me 2+ years.

Are you kidding….mine is good as new after 4 years….Ive still kept it on iOS9…so its fast as hell. All this stuff about forcing OS updates by creating fear of malware is just that…fear mongering….I do to use any form of online banking or payment via phone (and never will)….and my phone hasn't been hacked….and even if it is, all they will get are some lewd sms-es and naked selfies of my huge cock.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Are you kidding….mine is good as new after 4 years….Ive still kept it on iOS9…so its fast as hell. All this stuff about forcing OS updates by creating fear of malware is just that…fear mongering….I do to use any form of online banking or payment via phone (and never will)….and my phone hasn't been hacked….and even if it is, all they will get are some lewd sms-es and naked selfies of my huge cock.

Different strokes for different people. I plan to spend more time Travelling & will use my iphone & ipad to access my bank accounts & trading accounts. I'm Glad that many companies are taking security seriously.

I'll also be looking around for a good VPN. You can never be too safe where money is concerned. Even my online broker is implementing more safe Guards.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

if you're still on ipad 2 you can upgrade ios to just short of 9. although ipad 2 can run up to ios 9.3.3 it is not optimal depending on available memory. a remaining available memory of 6.9gb is recommended before any ios upgrades for older devices. remember that with each ios upgrade more storage memory on the device are required. thus there are limits to the age and category of device and how far they can be upgraded. don't blindly upgrade every ios device you have. my ipad pro just got upgraded to 11 and is working fine but there are already minor bug issues. (separate post on a memory reporting bug issue that i helped apple tech support identify and fix on ios 10.3.3+ and you don’t see this anymore on ios 11 as they roll all patches post-10.3.3 to 11.) my iphone 6 runs exceptionally well on ios 10.3.3 and doesn't need to go to ios 11. iphone 7, 8 and x will be better off with ios 11, but wait a couple more weeks and there will be patches for 11 as the apple ios team has become not as disciplined as when jobs was alive. too many contract nehs working on it and as you know they are scatter-brained with very poor coding discipline. apple needs to fire some of them.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ok, the memory reporting bug issue on ios 10++. when you’re on 10++, your storage and icloud usage on your ios device will tell you used storage on device in gb and available storage on device in gb. if you have icloud it will show total storage in gb and available storage in gb. if the device has 64gb of storage about 4gb is used for kernel, system or ios use (mostly ios). you’re left with pretty much 60gb of device storage. depending on apps loaded, messages saved, photos, videos, your available device memory will report the balance which is a simple deduction of 60gb minus used device storage. on ipads, the reporting has a bug, although they run the same ios version as the iphone (well not exactly the same). ios adapts to the device type due to various screen sizes and other hardware differences. on ipads running ios 10++ the bug is found on the reporting of available device storage. icloud reporting is fine. as you move or transfer photos, videos and other contents to icloud from device and remove those contents from your device storage, your available device storage should reflect the updated available number in gb. in ios 10++ it does not. in fact it goes the other way. instead of giving you back available memory after removal of contents from your device, it subtracts more available memory from your device. before you realize and panic upon seeing a remaining 6.9gb of storage left on your device when you should be seeing say 36gb, don’t worry, your ipad is fine and actually has 36gb of available storage which you expect. to get a refresh of the correct used and available storage on your ipad, you need to do a complete reset of the device and re-initialize from scratch, obviously with help from the icloud backup. not shut off and restart, nor hard reset such as pressing the wake-up and home buttons at the same time. full complete reset which can be found in the settings and general menu. this was a pain to many ipad users who had ocd about available device storage with 6.9gb or less left but they couldn’t get it resolved with genius bars across the globe. they were recommending restarts, soft reset, short of factory reset. anyway, in ios 11, the reporting has been fixed, and now you should see “ipad storage” on your ipad instead of “storage and icloud usage”, it shows a used storage bar (no more available storage balance - this does jackshit), and it allows you to offload unused apps and review (and remove) large attachments, which are mainly images and videos on imessage.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

Technology products are subjected to Moore's Law. So there will always be the need for faster and better performance.

What I can't stand is the way Apple milks it. And charges the moon for proprietary hardware and software.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Technology products are subjected to Moore's Law. So there will always be the need for faster and better performance.

What I can't stand is the way Apple milks it. And charges the moon for proprietary hardware and software.

how about this? 69 thousand times more expensive than the iphone x. but it’s worth it. :p

ACE1B692-0D31-4FA7-892D-133158E881E6.jpeg

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

how about this? 69 thousand times more expensive than the iphone x. but it’s worth it. :p

I can totally see myself driving a Macan. But no iphone for me :biggrin:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

ok, the memory reporting bug issue on ios 10++. when you’re on 10++, your storage and icloud usage on your ios device will tell you used storage on device in gb and available storage on device in gb. if you have icloud it will show total storage in gb and available storage in gb. if the device has 64gb of storage about 4gb is used for kernel, system or ios use (mostly ios). you’re left with pretty much 60gb of device storage. depending on apps loaded, messages saved, photos, videos, your available device memory will report the balance which is a simple deduction of 60gb minus used device storage. on ipads, the reporting has a bug, although they run the same ios version as the iphone (well not exactly the same). ios adapts to the device type due to various screen sizes and other hardware differences. on ipads running ios 10++ the bug is found on the reporting of available device storage. icloud reporting is fine. as you move or transfer photos, videos and other contents to icloud from device and remove those contents from your device storage, your available device storage should reflect the updated available number in gb. in ios 10++ it does not. in fact it goes the other way. instead of giving you back available memory after removal of contents from your device, it subtracts more available memory from your device. before you realize and panic upon seeing a remaining 6.9gb of storage left on your device when you should be seeing say 36gb, don’t worry, your ipad is fine and actually has 36gb of available storage which you expect. to get a refresh of the correct used and available storage on your ipad, you need to do a complete reset of the device and re-initialize from scratch, obviously with help from the icloud backup. not shut off and restart, nor hard reset such as pressing the wake-up and home buttons at the same time. full complete reset which can be found in the settings and general menu. this was a pain to many ipad users who had ocd about available device storage with 6.9gb or less left but they couldn’t get it resolved with genius bars across the globe. they were recommending restarts, soft reset, short of factory reset. anyway, in ios 11, the reporting has been fixed, and now you should see “ipad storage” on your ipad instead of “storage and icloud usage”, it shows a used storage bar (no more available storage balance - this does jackshit), and it allows you to offload unused apps and review (and remove) large attachments, which are mainly images and videos on imessage.

Aiyo, bro. ESND, punctuation marks and paragraphs are introduced for a reason, you know that or not huh?

I felt breathless, trying to finish reading what you wrote! Dun know when and where to pause and resume lah! :confused::biggrin::biggrin:

P.S. Also, there is such a thing as uppercase and lowercase letters hoh!

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Aiyo, bro. ESND, punctuation marks and paragraphs are introduced for a reason, you know that or not huh?

I felt breathless, trying to finish reading what you wrote! Dun know when and where to pause and resume lah! :confused::biggrin::biggrin:

P.S. Also, there is such a thing as uppercase and lowercase letters hoh!

welcum to new age of online scripting. no more caps, punctuation, paragraphing, and pause. embedding useful messages in a pile of garbage is becumming fashionable and trendy. :biggrin: