• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Sad story of an old sinkie whose gabrament has failed him miserably

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Straits Times
September 14, 2017
page B12

For more than half a century, Mr Thio Sin Nam has been helping to build Singapore.

Since he became a construction worker in his late teens, he has carried loads, laid planks, poured cement and more.

And despite being 71 years old, he does not see himself stopping any time soon.

"I'll work until I cannot get up and go to work," he says in a mixture of Mandarin and Cantonese.

"I can't figure out what to do otherwise. This is my life."

Nut brown from long hours in the sun, Mr Thio says he has tried his hand at a variety of construction work through the years.

For the past decade or so, he has been a mason. Working on a freelance basis for a subcontractor, he lays bricks for swimming pools across the island. At this moment, he is building a pool in a Ghim Moh condominium.

Even his earliest memories are of work. He remembers, at the age of five, helping his father collect used glass bottles at the market to sell back to the drink companies.

He grew up in an area that would later become People's Park Complex, where the OG department store now stands.

His mother was a street hawker, while his father collected bottles.

By the time he was eight, he was helping out regularly with the bottle business.

When he was 12, his father died, from causes which he is still unclear about today. Mr Thio had to drop out of school to help feed his family.

Through his teenage years, he and his mother took on whatever odd jobs they could find.

For a few years, they slaughtered chickens and plucked their feathers for up to 12 hours a day. For killing and plucking around 50 to 60 chickens, he could earn about 50 cents.

At other times, he ran errands as an office boy, or moved cargo at the docks.

Once, he and his mother got a job carrying door frames at Great World. As there were no lifts back then, they carried the frames up the stairs from the ground floor to the ninth. They managed 25 frames a day and got $1 for each one.

Despite having toiled throughout his childhood, Mr Thio struggled to adjust to the back-breaking labour of the construction industry, which friends introduced him to.

"I had to bend metal in the hot sun," he recalls.

"It was challenging. I was not used to it, but I persevered."

DANGEROUS WORK

Although he grew accustomed to the work in time, it has not been without its dangers. He is proud of his safety record - his worst injury was having his finger cut by falling metal rods, which required three stitches and a week's medical leave - but he has had his share of near misses.

Once, he tripped at a site and fell, his face landing next to some sharp metal rods which were sticking from the ground. "I felt like I'd just skipped death," he says.

Over the years, he has watched the local construction industry evolve. Things that were done with hand tools are now done with machines, he says, and the workers he meets come from all over the world.

Though he may not speak their language, he always has a friendly greeting for them.

"Whether they're from China or India, you have to open your mouth and crack a joke with them, or you'll never make friends."

A lifelong bachelor, Mr Thio lived with his mother in their Kim Tian rental flat for close to 50 years until her death in 2013.

A bad fall caused her to fracture a bone in her neck, and she went into a coma in hospital. He himself was hospitalised shortly afterwards for swelling in his knee. He was in a ward above from hers when the doctor came to tell him she had died.

"She had just turned 100 years old," he says. "We were going to throw her a 'da shou' (birthday celebration)." Sometimes, he still dreams about her.

He now lives alone, with some goldfish he got from a neighbour.

He had an older sister, but they drifted apart later in their lives. She died earlier this year, and he only found out about this when he went to the columbarium to pay his respects to his mother and saw his sister's niche there too.

His mother was known for helping her neighbours, stitching quilts by hand for the community centre and cooking for the other elderly residents of their block.

Mr Thio tries, in his own way, to carry on her work. He continues to keep an eye on the 86-year-old woman who lives down the corridor - as she is no longer very mobile, he helps her pick up her groceries - and accompanied another neighbour to see the doctor.

"I treat them like my own family," he says.

He earns $50 a day, works three to four days a week, and usually takes home around $700 a month.

Once in a while, leg pains keep him at home and he does not get paid for those days. His rent and household bills are about $100 a month, but the costs of daily necessities and travel are creeping up.

"Everything is getting more and more expensive these days - MRT top-ups, rice, cigarettes," he says. "So I think I'll have to keep working."

His chief regret in life is not being able to continue his education when he was young. "But I don't blame my mother for making me give it up. We were poor, it was what I had to do."

He relishes the simple things in life: a cup of coffee in his kitchen when he rises at 3am, mahjong with friends, laying that final brick in a swimming pool before it is filled with water.

"I eat simply, I live simply," he says. "I have a job, I have the freedom of not having to worry about too much. I have enough."

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This old sinkie was around at the same time as this Thio sinkie. Singapore didn't fail him and he didn't fail Singapore. Thio is in the mess he is in today because of poor financial planning and poor life decisions.

6_p4_01_0-e1471937283815.jpg

nathan1.jpg

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
This type of story is idiotic to the core. So he worked as a construction worker. Did he do it for the noble cause of helping singaporean ? No! He did it because he was lowly educated and can't find a good job! And he got paid for construction work. So what's the big deal?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
He has failed himself. The government has nothing to do with it.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Can't agree more. All this bullshit about construction workers working to build Singapore. What the fuck?! U mean they didn't get paid? They did it for free?

Exactly they did it because because they were paid. It's not as if patriotism had any part to play.

Had there been a better job in some other country they would have jumped ship immediately.

Instead of saving for a rainy day they probably squandered what they earned on girls and gambling. Now they expect the taxpayer to pay the price for their financial incompetence. :rolleyes:

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
He has failed himself. The government has nothing to do with it.

he where got fail , being poor meaning failure in life ?
he did not rob , cheat , steal or join a gang
instead he did honest work to earn a living.

at end of WW2 , the british crooks , shamelessly ,came back to rule sillypoor
after having been defeated and kicked out by the nihonji.
he was born during this period.
in his early teen years sillypoor was governed by David Marshall , Lim Yew hoch
in 1959 , dead creature became Prime minister and upgraded all the bucket system
to the modern toilet system of those 1st world countries.
and Thio together with Leongsam were extremely grateful.