• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Over 2000 Comfort Cabbies Plan To Betray ComfortDelgro! Bro Chun Sing Where?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
27781031_0.JPG

SINGAPORE — More than 2,000 ComfortDelGro cabbies could jump ship and join rival taxi operators partnering Grab or switch to become drivers of its private-hire car service, less than two weeks after Grab dangled heavily-discounted rentals to entice them, TODAY has learnt.

This was the number of drivers from Singapore’s largest taxi operator who have signed up for a Grab driver account as part of the recruitment drive — the first step to making the crossover, this newspaper understands.

Grab’s offer, originally slated to end today, will be extended by another fortnight to Sept 29 owing to “popular demand”, the ride-hailing company said yesterday.

In an attempt to counter Grab’s move, ComfortDelGro yesterday ran an advertisement in Chinese daily Lianhe Zaobao, trotting out rental rebates totalling S$3,600 over six months — which is less attractive than what Grab is offering.

The taxi operator did not respond to TODAY’s queries.

Transport experts interviewed said the sizeable number of drivers involved could deal a major blow to ComfortDelGro’s revenue. ComfortDelGro had nearly 15,500 cabs under its Comfort and CityCab brands as of July. Taxi operators are generally guarded on the number of drivers on their books owing to commercial sensitivities. But in August last year, ComfortDelGro said it had 37,000 drivers.

Grab’s offer, broadcast to thousands of ComfortDelGro’s drivers earlier this month, promised rental rates that would shave about half their rental bills in some cases. It came after ComfortDelGro announced talks with Uber on a potential tie-up.

Under its campaign, Grab is offering a daily discount of S$50 for six months on rents for existing ComfortDelGro drivers to join any of Grab’s five partner taxi firms: Trans-Cab, Prime Taxi, SMRT Taxis, Premier and HDT Singapore Taxi.

The discounts are higher if drivers take on a private-hire car via Grab’s rental arm, GrabRentals. In such cases, they will get a S$1,688 monthly discount, which translates to about S$60 off their daily rental bill. Grab will fund the rebates, TODAY understands.

One ComfortDelGro driver making the switch, who requested to be known only as Mr Evan, 50, said his earnings have been hit, resulting in a tough slog to feed his family of three.

Mr Evan, who has been with ComfortDelGro for about three years, said bookings via the company’s app and hotline have tumbled by about 80 per cent. He drives seven days a week, and has had to put in more hours on the road.

Three years ago, driving 10 hours daily could yield a profit of up to S$120 a day. Lately, clocking 16 hours a day — which he does about four times weekly — earns him between S$60 and S$100. He pays a daily rent of S$122 for his Hyundai i40 cab, after an S$8 rebate from ComfortDelGro.

“It’s still very tough,” he said. He will switch to a Premier cab next week. With the discount and extra rebates from the firm, his daily rent will be cut by about two-thirds to just S$39. “I’ll maybe get two to three customers (to) cover my rental … the rest is all profit,” he said. While he said it was “fortunate” the offer came by, he was unsure what he would do after the offer lapses in six months.

He might consider returning to ComfortDelGro if it reduces its rates.

Singapore University of Social Sciences urban transport expert Park Byung Joon said the prospect of losing more than 2,000 drivers at one go could deal a “really big blow” to ComfortDelGro.

It must react quickly if it “wants to stay in the business”. The only step it could take is to match Grab’s offer, said Dr Park but he noted that this was not sustainable for the firm. He felt that Grab might be hindering fair competition by drawing on its financial power, and said the authorities should look into whether this was allowed. “It sets the tone (for) what Grab or Uber can do with their cash,” said Dr Park, who noted that the move might augur ill for commuters in the long term if taxi firms are put out of business.

Still, transport economist Walter Theseira, also from SUSS, noted that the pool of drivers who signed up with Grab is a fraction of ComfortDelGro’s total pool of drivers. The remaining majority of drivers probably feel “more secure” staying with the taxi operator.

Acknowledging that ComfortDelGro’s revenues would be hit by the poaching, Dr Theseira said it may have to advance its discussions with Uber to seek financial backing in order to offer incentives to entice drivers to return or recruit new ones.

As far as commuters are concerned, there would be minimal impact on taxi availability, he said. “Most commuters have a lot of alternatives, so if they feel like they’re not getting something fast enough from one channel, they will just switch to another.”

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/over-2000-comfortdelgro-cabbies-express-interest-joining-grab

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
PAP MPs cannot fight Ho Ching's Grab. Looks like she is wearing the pants in the house.

This is more serious than the handful of chink bus drivers going on strike. I'm a longtime shareholder of ComfortDelgro.

I am disappointed that the police or ISD has not stepped in to dissuade the Grab bosses from such severe industrial disruption.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is more serious than the handful of chink bus drivers going on strike. I'm a longtime shareholder of ComfortDelgro.

I am disappointed that the police or ISD has not stepped in to dissuade the Grab bosses from such severe industrial disruption.

Hello John, Your Favourite Minister is wearing the skirt in the house. ISD all ball shrink badly hiding behind the skirt.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The comfort driver claims his takings have fallen by 80%. That's crazy. Even a 40% is massive. From 10hrs to 16hrs. Seriously what is going on?

What happened to NTUC, CCS?

jw5

Loyal
John's favourite ministar will need to consult his gossipy kaypohchee former civil servants before making any statement. :wink:

Hello John, Your Favourite Minister is wearing the skirt in the house. ISD all ball shrink badly hiding behind the skirt.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It must react quickly if it “wants to stay in the business”. The only step it could take is to match Grab’s offer, said Dr Park but he noted that this was not sustainable for the firm. He felt that Grab might be hindering fair competition by drawing on its financial power, and said the authorities should look into whether this was allowed. “It sets the tone (for) what Grab or Uber can do with their cash,” said Dr Park, who noted that the move might augur ill for commuters in the long term if taxi firms are put out of business.

Dr Park is talking fcuk with all this shit about this shift in power being bad for the commuters in the long term.
For the longest time, commuters have put up with shit sign like CHANGING SHIFT, with the drivers demanding to know which direction
you are heading before allowing you to board; MIA taxis just before midnight etc

Meantime, silence of CCS is deafening...

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No pity for loser cabbies.
But if can't beat them they can always join them.
I dun understand what the cabbies are thinking.....just abandon ship.
The taxi companies are the ones that's facing demise. And I say obigood.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
No pity for loser cabbies.
But if can't beat them they can always join them.
I dun understand what the cabbies are thinking.....just abandon ship.
The taxi companies are the ones that's facing demise. And I say obigood.

Just wondering. When there are no more traditional taxis, only private hires, will you be sucking the drivers' dicks in praise and gratitude? What ever happened? Your mother was having gangbangs with taxi drivers?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just wondering. When there are no more traditional taxis, only private hires, will you be sucking the drivers' dicks in praise and gratitude? What ever happened? Your mother was having gangbangs with taxi drivers?

You cabby and I hurt your feelings?

You do display traits of a simple minded cabby....
This is all supply and demand..... the fact that taxis are dying now is proof that the operating model isn't working.
So what if cabs all disappear? It just further proof they are dinosaurs.
The cab companies have to revamp or die out.
Now grab is innovating to let passengers hail a cab on the streets. So street hail will not die out but the traditional taxis might.

kelton65

Alfrescian
Loyal
This race to the bottom between transport companies ain't good either. How long can Grab keep subsidising all these goodies?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This race to the bottom between transport companies ain't good either. How long can Grab keep subsidising all these goodies?

If it's not sustainable they'll have to makes changes and adapt. They might even go bust. Then taxi companies might rise from the ashes. Let market forces decide.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You cabby and I hurt your feelings?

You do display traits of a simple minded cabby....
This is all supply and demand..... the fact that taxis are dying now is proof that the operating model isn't working.
So what if cabs all disappear? It just further proof they are dinosaurs.
The cab companies have to revamp or die out.
Now grab is innovating to let passengers hail a cab on the streets. So street hail will not die out but the traditional taxis might.

Even if I am "simple minded" but you are still at my waist level. At the end of the day it is still commuters and drivers paying higher costs and Ho Ching benefitting eventually. Talk about "simple minded."

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even if I am "simple minded" but you are still at my waist level. At the end of the day it is still commuters and drivers paying higher costs and Ho Ching benefitting eventually. Talk about "simple minded."

Time will change things so don't make noise just look at the example below you'll know notice! why??

Type writer taken over by computer printout!!

IBM ball type writer kill traditional type writer!!

Wang words was the in thing in the 80s, Microsoft kill it softly!!

Calculator was a must for accounting purposes, Microsoft Excel came and make it Obsolete!!

Taking Pictures you must used film & Camera ~ 24 exposures or 36 exposures
you need to pay $15.00 to $24.00 in all! Today Film was killed and made obsolete by
advancing Hand phone & digital cameras!

Hand phone or smart phone has kill other products too! it killed video cameras, laptop, digital cameras sales has been dropping except for hobbyists who take bird pictures, they used very expensive long lens! Can cost ten of thousand dollars!!

Taxi drivers will become obsolete in no time if taxi company doesn't change it's marketing strategy! they will become another dinosaur company!

Taxi company becoming a dinosaur than it's good for motorists because Taxi company is the one that caused COE to be so exorbitant, and allow LTA to manipulate and holds the COE price at $50k for so long ..now got no more story to tell!!

Our favorite road stall was very affordable and tasty! can find them every where in Stingapore back than! than came our papaya gahmen into the picture and demolished every thing, including our mother language only can speak Mandarin wtf!~! today children has lost it's identity can't speak mother tongue language!

Time has change!