• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious PE 2017: PEC decision on Halimah Yacob's eligibility sparks #notmypresident hashtag

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
02ffe513e5d37ab2d16adc41aa51bc05

Former speaker of Singapore’s parliament, Halimah Yacob, arrives at the Elections Department after she was given the certificate of eligibility to contest the election by the Presidential Elections Committee in Singapore September 11, 2017. REUTERS/Edgar Su
Barely minutes after former Speaker of Parliament Halimah Yacob was confirmed on Monday (11 September) as the only eligible candidate for this year’s Presidential Election (PE), a number of Singaporeans began using the hashtag #notmypresident in their social media posts.

The use of the hashtag has continued to gather momentum in the past few hours, with Singaporeans expressing dissatisfaction that there would be a walkover for the PE. Polling Day for the PE, which is reserved for Malay candidates, has been set for 23 September but is unlikely to take place.

In a media release on Monday, the Elections Department (ELD) said the Presidential Elections Committee (PEC) had received applications from five individuals looking to contest the PE but had only issued one Certificate of Eligibility.

With the PEC’s decision to qualify Halimah and the Malay Community Sub-Committee (MCSC) also issuing a certificate to her stating that she is a member of the Malay community, the former Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC MP will await her confirmation as president-elect on Nomination Day on Wednesday.

966a70bcba6738e0b0179f3167cca79e

The decision by the Presidential Elections Committee to qualify Halimah Yacob as the sole candidate to run in PE2017 has sparked the hashtag #notmypresident. (Photo: Screen shot from Twitter)
More
Facebook user Jericho Augustus Tan said, “Singaporeans must be given the right to vote for the president that they want #Notmypresident #democracyfails”.

Twitter user Edward C Yong said, “come on. only Halimah received the eligibility certificate. did you guys have to make it THAT obvious? #NOTMYPRESIDENT”.

Speaking to reporters outside the ELD after she was confirmed as the sole presidential candidate, Halimah was asked if she was worried about public perception since she would not have to fight an election.

“I can only say that I promise to do the best that I can to serve the people of Singapore, and that doesn’t change whether there is an election or no election…my passion and commitment to serve the people of Singapore remains the same,” Halimah replied.

93fd43b01f2afabd99a609735252f744

Second Chance Properties chief executive Salleh Marican and Bourbon Offshore Asia Pacific chairman Farid Khan, two of the presidential hopefuls, have expressed their disappointment that their applications to the PEC had been rejected.

The same hashtag has also been used in association with US President Donald Trump by Americans to express their disapproval of the Republican since he won the election last year.
Published by, and at the direction of, Yahoo! Asia Pacific Pte Ltd (199700735D) | 60 Anson Road #13-01 Singapore 079914

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: PE 2017: PEC decision on Halimah Yacob's eligibility sparks #notmypresident hasht

The gahmen cannot be bother...they are just shameless.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: PE 2017: PEC decision on Halimah Yacob's eligibility sparks #notmypresident hasht

it's over. issue is settled. amicable end to years of dispute. monkey has no right to its selfie. oops! not pec. peta decision.

IMG_0160.JPG

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No eligible Malay came forward. So the people have spoken. Congratulations madam president

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal

maxresdefault.jpg

It's yesterday once more.....

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wah lan eh, u here for how long liao? still don't know how to upload image properly. So small for ants to see?

attachment.php

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In reality the malay daughter of the Indian father (confusing isn't it) was "elected" by 6 persons who formed this Committee.-since they did not elect, I mean select the other 2 to contest.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

In reality the malay daughter of the Indian father (confusing isn't it) was "elected" by 6 persons who formed this Committee.-since they did not elect, I mean select the other 2 to contest.

What is the difference between Boycotting the PE & no need to vote...technically it means that you didn't vote...now, I am not given a chance to register my disgust by not voting.

Singaporeans are made looking stupid again...the PAP had decided long time ago...& they are just shafting the same shits down your throat..in the name of " we are doing it for your own good"..what is the point of moaning & groaning? IF..if, there were other candidates...I will boycott!....

What is the point of moaning over the internet..with #notmypresident hastag?....come next election, make your annoyance with this toying around with you known....vote for the oppositions & make the current government a minority...dare to do that? I doubt so!...

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Presidential Elections Committee is set up by the Government of Singapore to ensure that each candidate for the office of President of Singapore has the qualifications referred to in Article 19 of the Constitution of Singapore.