• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Why the 2 rejected candidates applied for election when they are not qualified?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to hear especially in the early years from housewives about those who can't make it emigrating. Also heard that those who went over failed. On the other hand nearly everyone can enter Singapore and become a a citizen soon after. Someone from the Philippines who can't make it to a first world country can get into Singapore on Wp, get a PR and then citizenship. Those who come here as nurses then uses the 2 years here to then apply for Canada and the US.

These are well documented so not sure why the ignorance.

Very good insight into emigration.

You are spot on...the main criteria is whether you qualify with the right skill sets and/or money to be accepted by the host country.

Not every Tom, Dick and Harry can just choose to pack up and leave the country.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
it depends on the decade. very easy to emigrate to scandinavian cuntries in the 60s. didn't even need "o" level. just young, able-bodied and had some training and experience in construction, plumbing or electrical would do. my dad was offered a job plus further training with the trades union in sweden when i was in primary school. my mom chickened out giving the excuse that sweden was too cold.

Really saying if not you'll be fucking your brains out with these now

b92a9c7f37c5654b328a9ec1aeb2ee6b.jpg

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Very good insight into emigration.

You are spot on...the main criteria is whether you qualify with the right skill sets and/or money to be accepted by the host country.

Not every Tom, Dick and Harry can just choose to pack up and leave the country.

Rubbish. Anytime I hear anyone say No Choice.... it is rubbish. And really it is only sinkies who say this no choice nonsense.

We all have a choice. It is just the price of that choice that some may not be willing to pay.

Sinkies are scaredy cats. Everything scared. Then say "no choice" crap lah!

You can choose to murder people. You can choose to try to assassinate LHL. You can pack your bags fly to Australia and never leave. Of course all got price lah. Some because break law could land you in jail. Choice? Yes choice.

Never say "no choice" you are just giving yourself an excuse for not making a choice.

What sinkies really mean is I don't dare to do this or that. No balls to take that risk or suffer he consequences. So say "no choice"

Garbage sinkies. I hardly hear Canadians say no choice.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Really saying if not you'll be fucking your brains out with these now

View attachment 31681

my dad would most likely be doing that, and that was probably the main reason why my mom resisted. all of us siblings heard our parents discussing it, and first thing that came to mind was "yippee! fuck the sinkie school system. we now can lerax and don't have to study so hard."

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sinkies are scaredy cats. Everything scared. Then say "no choice" crap lah!....

Never say "no choice" you are just giving yourself an excuse for not making a choice.

What sinkies really mean is I don't dare to do this ...

Agreed that "no choice" is just an excuse. However, too harsh to say they are "scare" or "don't dare".

To me qualitification is not the limiting factor to emigrate. My NS platoon of about 40, dwindled to about 30 by the time of our last ICT. They are not highly qualified people but most of them are in Perth.

In my earlier post, I talk about those dragged out of the cage but returned. I was referring to those who had spent years working overseas or had their tertiary education overseas. Many returned. I don't think they are "scared". Otherwise they wouldn't have step out in the first place.

I think it is the convenience and familiarity that bring them back. They have experienced leaving there but find it not to their liking. Most probably the wild spirit is lost due to the environment and grooming in their childhood. A friend living in Houston recently sent me a photo of his house being flooded to the 2nd storey and was still making joke about it. That is the spirit of those handful who managed to retain, to find enjoyment despite the inconvenience and danger.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
When they left did they say they planned to go back to SG? If they did not then still go back is thos CMI sinkie lah.

Inconvenience and danger? LOL!

Yeah lah sinkieland the most convenient and safe.

Got maid. Got hawker centre sell cheap food. Got MRT. Speak any broken English also can be understood.

Safe. PAP keep sinkies safe.

Can tell who are those talking about emigration without knowing what it is all about. Damn talking cock.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When they left did they say they planned to go back to SG? If they did not then still go back is thos CMI sinkie lah.

Inconvenience and danger? LOL!

Yeah lah sinkieland the most convenient and safe.

Got maid. Got hawker centre sell cheap food. Got MRT. Speak any broken English also can be understood.

Safe. PAP keep sinkies safe.

Can tell who are those talking about emigration without knowing what it is all about. Damn talking cock.
Hey you are right. Only your dislike for sg crowded the issue. It is the convenience of maids, prepared food, ... conditions that Singaporeans have been subjected to, that make them poor candidate for emigration unless he is very rich. The ability to DIY is key to living overseas; from doing simple task like laundry, cooking to plumbering and electrical works. The very rich are "international" citizen so migration is not their concern.

For safety, I was thinking more of natural disaster. However, till now, sg is still a relatively safe place in terms of violent crime.

To sum up, we are too pampered though you would gladly use the word lazy. The convenience which was meant to be good is like drug that kills us in the long term. Maybe it is part of the plan to soften the people.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To sum up, we are too pampered though you would gladly use the word lazy. The convenience which was meant to be good is like drug that kills us in the long term. Maybe it is part of the plan to soften the people.

Do you know why we're 'pampered'? Because wages are so bloody low here, that's why! Why should I lift a finger to do anything when I have a $500/mth maid, my electrician is at my beck and call for a $30 transport charge, and my contractor can make me an entire kitchen cabinet for $6,000.

A plumber earns more than a professor in Australia; you certainly wouldn't call him to change your faucet. I've a NZ woman friend who runs a cleaning company in Auckland with her sister: her clients are the wealthy – 8-bedroom beachfront homes with helipads – and she brings home more money than an SAF half-colonel even though she's just a 'lowly housemaid'.

When you're in a high-wage country like Switzerland or Sweden, you jolly well do everything yourself, from cooking your meals to assembling a side porch to fixing the plumbing. You save your eating out for special occasions and the occasional weekend binge.

Case #1: My Swiss expat friend tells me that full-time housemaid in Switzerland is paid USD2,200 (minimum wage); 8 hours a day for 5 days; weekends off; a room with an attached bathroom and TV is requisite. He has a house with a wine cellar in Zurich but he can't afford a maid, so he and his wife put in the elbow grease every weekend.

Case #2: A Indonesian Chinese family friend owns a mansion in Bandung – 2 drivers, 10 housemaids, 3 manservants, and a posse of bodyguards. He wouldn't think of migrating because nowhere else in the world can afford him such luxuries at such low cost in such a servile cultural milieu.

The former is First World, the latter Third World. Which is the more progressive society? Would you want Singapore to be like Bandung or Zurich?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Do you know why we're 'pampered'? Because wages are so bloody low here, that's why! Why should I lift a finger to do anything when I have a $500/mth maid, my electrician is at my beck and call for a $30 transport charge, and my contractor can make me an entire kitchen cabinet for $6,000.

A plumber earns more than a professor in Australia; you certainly wouldn't call him to change your faucet. I've a NZ woman friend who runs a cleaning company in Auckland with her sister: her clients are the wealthy – 8-bedroom beachfront homes with helipads – and she brings home more money than an SAF half-colonel even though she's just a 'lowly housemaid'.

When you're in a high-wage country like Switzerland or Sweden, you jolly well do everything yourself, from cooking your meals to assembling a side porch to fixing the plumbing. You save your eating out for special occasions and the occasional weekend binge.

Case #1: My Swiss expat friend tells me that full-time housemaid in Switzerland is paid USD2,200 (minimum wage); 8 hours a day for 5 days; weekends off; a room with an attached bathroom and TV is requisite. He has a house with a wine cellar in Zurich but he can't afford a maid, so he and his wife put in the elbow grease every weekend.

Case #2: A Indonesian Chinese family friend owns a mansion in Bandung – 2 drivers, 10 housemaids, 3 manservants, and a posse of bodyguards. He wouldn't think of migrating because nowhere else in the world can afford him such luxuries at such low cost in such a servile cultural milieu.

The former is First World, the latter Third World. Which is the more progressive society? Would you want Singapore to be like Bandung or Zurich?

Please be reminded that Singapore is a First World Country with Swiss Standard of Living

singapore-swiss-fake.jpg

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My answer is Zurich. I just don't like being served by maids and love to DIY.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

In case number 2, the Indonesian Chinese will always feel like they never really belong. Yes, they can make good money, and yes, they can have big house with 10 servants, etc. But now and then, the bumis will riot and blame the chinese for everything and try to burn their shops and houses, etc. Surprisingly, there are many poor chinese in Indonesia too. They are always viewed with suspicion and not always welcomed, regardless of how many generations have been raised in Indonesia. No genuine rule of law protects them. They can carry on life there and the rich Indon chinese all have an escape plan if things turn bad quickly.

In case number one, u have the stability. The swiss are not going to blame u for their economic woes, and if u are a professional, they will even respect u. There are many ways around a high wage maid in Switzerland. I see my friends in Australia, canada and US have these same issues too. The canadian ones sponsor Pinays to be their maids, yes, its not cheap. But sometimes, they share the maid with another family and pay for part time or half cost. Getting your house cleaned 2-3 times a week instead of 5 is still a lot better then nothing. SOme US friends I know have Mexican maids, who are real cheap to employ. when I visit them in those countries, I am struck by the maturity of the kids. Many of their kids, even the younger ones, help out in chores around the house. The boy for example, might mow the lawn. the girls might help with prep in the kitchen. They are doing some kid of household to help around the house. SO, the lack of a maid is not that onerous on a married couple if they can train their kids to help out. Some sinkies I know move with their parents too, so grandparents also help out with cooking, cleaning and babysitting the grand children. because they usually live in much larger houses then the HDB flats here, all 3 generations can comfortably live under one roof, instead of here, where parents have to drop their kids of every day at the grandparent's house, or even worse, leave them there for the week and pick then up on the weekend.

In singapore, kids never help out with chores around the house, they have a maid for that. Sometimes, there is much to be said for doing things yourself around the house. Do I have a maid? Yes I do. But I still do certain things, like I wash my own car. I don't like anyone else touching it. The maid is more like a jaga for my house when I travel. And she is a good cook. The answer to your question is its up to you. U can make singapore your personal bandung or make it your zurich. Its up to u.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In singapore, kids never help out with chores around the house, they have a maid for that. Sometimes, there is much to be said for doing things yourself around the house. Do I have a maid? Yes I do. But I still do certain things, like I wash my own car. I don't like anyone else touching it. The maid is more like a jaga for my house when I travel. And she is a good cook. The answer to your question is its up to you. U can make singapore your personal bandung or make it your zurich. Its up to u.

That's why I stopped having a live-in maid some years ago. We now have a part-time Singaporean helper who comes in two mornings a week to help with the more back-breaking chores. Even when I had a full-time maid, I never let her touch my car. When I was younger I'd even wash and iron my own work shirts because I was very finicky about the collar, cuffs and sleeves.

As for my kids, they were given chores from young: cleaning their own rooms, washing their own dishes, laying the table, even putting the wash in the washing machine, bringing out the trash, painting the fence ... I told them I had been brought up that way and this was how I'd bring them up ... no one owes them a living in this world.

Kids in Western countries are usually more independent as they learn to fend for themselves from a young age. In America, kids leave home at home after 16 for high school or college and they either live in a dorm or rent a room out-of-state. They wait on tables during vacations to help pay for their tuition fees and only come home during Thanksgiving and Christmas break. Doing things on your own help build character and self-reliance and this is something Sinkies can learn from the West.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This confirms that singapore malays are lagging in the economic front despite what PAP said.

They are. 'Meriticracy' has failed; elitocracy reigns, one that largely excludes the Malays.Every single negative socio-economic index is now the preserve of the Malays.

Take it from one who comes into daily contact with Malays on the ground and who has won their trust.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They are. 'Meriticracy' has failed; elitocracy reigns, one that largely excludes the Malays.Every single negative socio-economic index is now the preserve of the Malays.

Take it from one who comes into daily contact with Malays on the ground and who has won their trust.
perhaps that's why they gave us halimah to uplift their spirits and aspirations :confused:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
perhaps that's why they gave us halimah to uplift their spirits and aspirations :confused:

Even if they wanted a reserved presidency, why set the bar so high as to exclude practically all otherwise very credible candidates? Just so that the PAP could be 100% sure that their favoured candidate won? In which case just revert to the appointed presidency system instead of mutilating the Constitution and then honouring it in the letter but not the spirit.

Imagine if the US govt were to set the bar at a minimum of US$80bil personal assets for all presidential aspirants. Only Bill Gates would qualify – would this still count as (1) a genuine election; (2) a democratic process?

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal

Article 152 pertaining Minorities and Special Position of Malays that says:

(1) It shall be the responsibility of the Government constantly to care for the interests of the racial and religious minorities in Singapore.

(2) The Government shall exercise its functions in such manner as to recognize the special position of the Malays, who are the indigenous people of Singapore, and accordingly it shall be the responsibility of the Government to protect, safeguard, support, foster and promote their political, educational, religious, economic, social and cultural interests and the Malay language.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even if they wanted a reserved presidency, why set the bar so high as to exclude practically all otherwise very credible candidates? Just so that the PAP could be 100% sure that their favoured candidate won? In which case just revert to the appointed presidency system instead of mutilating the Constitution and then honouring it in the letter but not the spirit.

Imagine if the US govt were to set the bar at a minimum of US$80bil personal assets for all presidential aspirants. Only Bill Gates would qualify – would this still count as (1) a genuine election; (2) a democratic process?
agree, the devil is in the details and apart from tarnishing the reserved presidential process, the folly and attendant political cost to the pappies must be shown at the polling stations - fervent hope notwithstanding :(