• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious It's Official! Madam President Wins By Walkover! Majulah Halimah!

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
They pretended....they asked 2 stooges to pretend to apply and got rejected.

Haha.... that's true as well. It reminds me of the time when Ong Teng Cheong was up against the 'reluctant' candidate.

Chua Kim Yeow, candidate in Singapore's first presidential election, dies

ST_20160822_ZLCHUA22_2539021.jpg

Singapore's first local accountant-general, Mr Chua Kim Yeow, who reluctantly stood against former deputy prime minister Ong Teng Cheong in Singapore's first presidential election, died of pneumonia yesterday morning. He was 90.

He had been hospitalised at Singapore General Hospital after falling critically ill early this month, said his second daughter, Dr Chua Hui Ling, who is in her 50s.

"He was an honest, committed man with integrity in the things that he did," said Dr Chua, who recounted her father's humble beginnings. He was a cautious and careful person as well - valuable traits in Singapore's early days of independence, she added.

In 1961, Mr Chua became the first Singaporean to be appointed accountant-general, succeeding a British accountant.

Said Dr Chua: "It's no mean feat to achieve that - he was not born with a silver spoon (in his mouth). A lot of people called him a self-made man."

ADVERTISING

A top pupil in primary school, he moved on to Raffles Institution but his studies came to an end two years later owing to the Japanese Occupation. After the war, he passed the examination of the Association of Certified Accountants in 1954 by enrolling in a correspondence course with the United Kingdom School of Accountancy.

The professional qualification got him an executive job at the Income Tax Department in the same year. Mr Chua was Singapore's accountant-general for 18 years.He received the Public Administration Medal (Silver) in 1964 and the gold medal in 1975.

After retiring from the civil service in 1979, he joined DBS Bank as its president. He moved to POSB in 1986 to be its executive chairman for seven years .

In 1993, just months after his retirement from banking, Cabinet ministers, including then Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong, who is now Emeritus Senior Minister, urged Mr Chua to run in the country's first presidential election to give voters a choice of candidates. He agreed, but openly acknowledged his reluctance to do so, calling his opponent Mr Ong "a far superior candidate".

He did not have any posters, pamphlets, rallies or do anything usually associated with elections. Instead, his campaigning was kept to two 10-minute television broadcasts. Later, he relented and gave a media interview.

"What made me hesitate a long time was that I would be standing against Mr Ong, who has an outstanding record of public service. In the end I agreed to stand, as I said before, as an act of public duty," he said in the first of his two television broadcasts.

Mr Chua received 41.3 per cent, or 670,358, of valid votes, a better-than-expected performance in the eyes of political observers who pointed out that he was going up against a minister with a much higher public profile. After the election, he withdrew from the public eye as quickly as he entered it.

He returned to the corporate world and took up various appointments, including chairman of Singapore's stock exchange from 1994 to 2000 and chairman of Stamford Tyres from 2000 to 2013.

President Tony Tan Keng Yam said in a Facebook post on Monday (Aug 22) that he and his wife are deeply saddened by the passing of Mr Chua.

"Singapore has lost a selfless and committed man in Mr Chua. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time," wrote Dr Tan.

Ms Dawn Wee, executive director of Stamford Tyres, said that when she visited Mr Chua in the weeks before his death, he recounted how the country had sent four planes to Kuala Lumpur to recover its gold reserves after the separation from Malaysia. "He was certainly a part of Singapore's history."

Former top civil servant J. Y. Pillay, who knew Mr Chua from his early days in the civil service in 1961, said he was reliable and trusted by Dr Goh Keng Swee, Mr Hon Sui Sen and others who were finance minister during Mr Chua's long years as the accountant-general.

Mr Pillay added: "Mr Chua was a conscientious, hard-working and well-regarded civil servant and DBS president."

Mr Eric Ang, senior executive adviser of DBS Bank, remembers Mr Chua as a man who prevailed against all odds and was very humble. As a young officer in DBS in the 1980s, he remembers Mr Chua as a caring boss. "When we submitted papers, he would come to our desks to ask us to explain it to him, instead of calling us to his office," said Mr Ang, who saw Mr Chua the afternoon before he died.

"He was a fighter," he added.

Mr Chua is survived by four daughters, three grandchildren and a great-granddaughter. His wife, former school teacher Seah Sok Meng, died four years ago.

"Their marriage was very strong and her passing devastated him," said Dr Chua.

Her sisters remember him as a caring and witty father who encouraged them to work hard and be wise with their investments.

Ms Chua Hui Jin, also in her 50s, said her father always told her that "hard work never killed anyone", to always try her best and not shirk from duties.

Referring to his contributions alongside others in founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew's time, his daughter, Dr Chua, said: "Everybody wanted to do something good for the country... This is what we need to pass on to the future generations."

Mr Chua's wake is being held at his home in Hua Guan Avenue, off Dunearn Road. He will be cremated on Wednesday.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Hi Zhi Hau,

Please do not be disheartened and remain positive...

I've always been very positive and not disheartened at the result. folks in SBF have been pointing to a walkover as early as 9 Sep 2016, and I had indicated that I had expected a Halimah win/walkover back in July 2017 before she quit PAP. How can I be sad when she's winning? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Politics is really a big joke in Singapore....only one of its kind in the whole world.

Got GRC and got Reserved Election.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.” ― James Bovard

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The pretend stops at the application stage now as they can't risk a contest after TCB almost won and made TT looked like a fool as 35% president

but a win is a win. win by 1 vote also win. TT recently gave an interview saying that his presidency is the proudest period of his life. but then or else what, I am an idiotic 35% president.....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
They must have read the ground and not prepared to gamble on protest votes overwhelming the candidate.

The damage and loss of credibility is not confined to Halimah or the Office of President, it goes all the way to the PM, the cabinet and the establishment.

It also tarnishes the minority communities who should have spoken and be allowed to be exploited.

The Consitutiional Committee led by the CJ has to take much of the blame. Their role was to ensure that the office of President continues to maintain its high standards and appropriate level of dignity.

They also erred when they upped the financial qualifying criteria for truly independent candidates by practically ruling out all minorities. How many Malays, Indians and Eurasians if any automatically qualify?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Politics is really a big joke in Singapore....only one of its kind in the whole world.

Got GRC and got Reserved Election.

When GRC was first introduced in 88, Eunos GRC almost fell to WP. It was the late Mr Francis Seow whom suggested that we should respect the count and not demand for a recount as the vote difference was less than 5%. He was a true gentleman.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
but a win is a win. win by 1 vote also win. TT recently gave an interview saying that his presidency is the proudest period of his life. but then or else what, I am an idiotic 35% president.....

They should have a run off if pappies had wanted legitimacy but then again they couldn't risk that

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
They must have read the ground and not prepared to gamble on protest votes overwhelming the candidate.

Agree on all counts. My kawan kawan all embarrassed to have this reserved election in the first place, truth be told- they want it to be regardless of race.

tonnes of cannon fodder now, who will start the fire?

let's start with a BE in that GRC without a minority candidate? Teehee...

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really wonder when and what is the tipping point for singaporeans? How much garbage can they take? What is their limit to make them do something about it? One thing for sure, Singaporeans can take a lot more garbage than Thais, Hong Kongers, Taiwanese, even Malaysians.

I've always been very positive and not disheartened at the result. folks in SBF have been pointing to a walkover as early as 9 Sep 2016, and I had indicated that I had expected a Halimah win/walkover back in July 2017 before she quit PAP. How can I be sad when she's winning? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I really wonder when and what is the tipping point for singaporeans? How much garbage can they take? What is their limit to make them do something about it? One thing for sure, Singaporeans can take a lot more garbage than Thais, Hong Kongers, Taiwanese, even Malaysians.

read my signature. can take a lot so long as 6.9k's are readily available.