• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Good Minister Masagos: To Be m&d Is To Be Muslim! Make m&d Language Great Again!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ST_20170910_MASAGOS10_3408501.jpg

Religious leaders, language teachers and parents are important custodians of the Malay language, said Minister for the Environment and Water Resources Masagos Zulkifli.

Speaking at the launch of the annual Malay Language Month at the Malay Heritage Centre yesterday, Mr Masagos urged the three groups to work together to preserve the language.

He said: "For parents, we must be confident that using our mother tongue at home will not decrease the ability to learn other subjects in school. The Malay language is also used for religious teaching. I would like to encourage our religious leaders to think about how to improve the use of the Malay language in our efforts to inculcate religious values as a pedagogy for religious teaching."

Mr Masagos added that he hopes all teachers will be able to inculcate in their students a love for the language.

He said: "It is through the Malay culture that our religion is coloured and... the Malay culture, the behaviour, the character of the Malay is best seen through the interpretation of Islam... It also prevents Islam from becoming interpreted as something which is very extreme, the way it is done in other places in the world."

Also, the influence from popular culture from the West could cause the community to lose its religious beliefs and values, said Mr Masagos. He said: "If we further neglect the love for the Malay culture, more people will be easily influenced by foreign ideals and values emulated by some in our community."

The Malay language month is organised by the Malay Language Council, and runs until Oct 15. The event features more than 100 programmes and activities to promote the Malay language.

IMPACT OF LANGUAGE ON ISLAM

It is through the Malay culture that our religion is coloured and... the Malay culture, the behaviour, the character of the Malay is best seen through the interpretation of Islam... It also prevents Islam from becoming interpreted as something which is very extreme, the way it is done in other places in the world.

'' MR MASAGOS ZULKIFLI, Minister for the Environment and Water Resources, on how the Malay language can help efforts to inculcate religious values in the Malay community.
They include a poetry writing workshop, a drama competition and a dance performance based on Malay proverbs.

Meanwhile, the Tamil Language Council will provide funding to four groups it has selected, as part of efforts to promote the Tamil language in Singapore.

The council declined to reveal the amount involved but said it hopes to nurture talent in areas such as acting, hosting and singing.

The four arts groups are Athipathi International Theatre, Traditional Music Of Tanjore, Avant Theatre And Language, and 2Tango Dazzle.

Athipathi International Theatre artistic director Pugalenthii, who goes by only one name, said the group's work involves conducting free Tamil drama workshops for students, among other things.

"With this fund, we can now invite trainers from leading drama groups as well as experienced theatre actors and directors to come and train our actors in our troupe. We can also increase the number of people who can be trained," he said.

Ms Gowri Gokul, who runs Traditional Music of Tanjore, said her group focuses on South Indian Carnatic vocal training and performances.

The vocalist, who teaches the classical music style, said the group has used the funds from the Tamil Language Council to conduct a workshop on Tamil Carnatic music composers and their compositions. The workshop started earlier this month.

She said the funding helps to pay for the musicians as well as notes and handouts for participants.

"We hope to repeat this workshop, perhaps for a larger audience in the future," she said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/work-to-preserve-malay-language-masagos-urges

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Honestly go learn bahasa if you already know Chinese. In this region, Bahasa will have greater potential from establishing ties with cronies to wooing your Indon maid

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Honestly go learn bahasa if you already know Chinese. In this region, Bahasa will have greater potential from establishing ties with cronies to wooing your Indon maid

I establish good ties with my ASEAN cronies and my maid with money. They understand that language well enough.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Today: Situational use of ethnic identities
Today in Malaysia, situational identity is employed. A good case study would be Penang, where Muslim Indians (Klings), Arabs and Penang Malays reside. In the private lives, Klings may speak Tamil and Arabs not practice adat, but Arabic customs instead. In proposing new developments, impatient Kling and Arab members of the Malay Chamber of Commerce accuse footdragging Penang Malays as being “backward Malays”. However in requesting government loans for the new developments, these same Klings and Arabs identify themselves as Malay.

When individuals experience conflicts, they may increase social distance to one ethnic identity and assert the other identity. In the private sphere of the Arab family, individuals may also manipulate cultural practices and “purer” religious practices, versus adat as symbols of shared Malay identity, according to the context and desired outcome. To appear more religiously superior, some Arabs refuse to practice Malay bersanding marriage rituals. In contrast, other Arabs do practice bersanding, asserting that they “too are like Malays now”.

http://sc2218.wikifoundry.com/page/...nt+Ways+of+Being+Malay+and+Muslim+in+Malaysia

I find this concept of "Situational use of ethnic identities" very interesting-do we see a similar situation elsewhere (other than in the example of Penang),where one declare one's race/ethnicity according to the situation?

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
U worship jesus or Money God?

To me, money is just but a tool. Beyond getting a comfortable house, paying bills and necessity, money is just a tool to attain my goals. I don't worship money or money god.

In my business dealings, especially in local ASEAN countries like mudland, indon and thailand, I've met enough muslims, buddhists, hindus and christians who worship money. Sometimes, I even throw in a bottle of cognac to sweeten the offer. You have no idea how many of these people love good alcohol, especially the local officials in mudland and indon even if they feel the need to appear pious.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To me, money is just but a tool. Beyond getting a comfortable house, paying bills and necessity, money is just a tool to attain my goals. I don't worship money or money god.

In my business dealings, especially in local ASEAN countries like mudland, indon and thailand, I've met enough muslims, buddhists, hindus and christians who worship money. Sometimes, I even throw in a bottle of cognac to sweeten the offer. You have no idea how many of these people love good alcohol, especially the local officials in mudland and indon even if they feel the need to appear pious.

As i have mentioned b4 believing in Islam n havg faith in Allah s.w.t is a personal matter. If they fear not God commandment then they will be accounted for in d hereafter. No one can plead for their greed except they themselves. No one can judge them. Only Allah s.w.t. will pass ultimate judgement