• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The Tan Chuan Jin Story

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
After this week's announcement, I thought I will dig around. Firstly this sad story that I mentioned in a some thread in this forum some moons ago about TCJ. I will repeat to give context. I heard it from an associate but left out details that identify the family.

It involves a mission school girl from a minority background that went to NUS. While in second year, she started to face mental issues and began contacting her ex-school mates and they detected that all was not right. She also began emailing the President and few other Ministers making various claims. The family was not aware of what was going on.

One day, TCJ who was a cabinet minister turned up at the house unannounced. The SO remained outside. He spoke to the parents and explained what was going on. The shock of seeing a cabinet minister was overtaken by what he told them and he showed them the emails. The Mission school also contacted the parents despite a number of years has passed and credit to them. The girl is now undergoing medical treatment and there is much progress. NUS has given her an extended leave to get things right.

In all my years, I have never heard of a minister ever personally attending to such a matter.

Now the digging and its results. TCJ asked to leave cabinet because he was uncomfortable. I heard this from day one and I already mentioned in another thread but others that are close have also confirmed it in subsequent days. Cabinet ministers all sign a confidentiality agreement so the case or cases that are the tipping point/s won't come out anytime soon. So it will take a couple years before some ex-cabinet colleagues will hint the reason. The person that was most impacted is Tharman as both have become close and it was Tharman that wanted him as his point man on social issues.

His 2 entries on FB especially the second gives a hint.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
are you saying that Tan Chuan Jin is Tharman's dog and since cabinet kills Tharman's dog so naturally the next option is to kill Tharman?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
After this week's announcement, I thought I will dig around. Firstly this sad story that I mentioned in a some thread in this forum some moons ago about TCJ. I will repeat to give context. I heard it from an associate but left out details that identify the family.

It involves a mission school girl from a minority background that went to NUS. While in second year, she started to face mental issues and began contacting her ex-school mates and they detected that all was not right. She also began emailing the President and few other Ministers making various claims. The family was not aware of what was going on.

One day, TCJ who was a cabinet minister turned up at the house unannounced. The SO remained outside. He spoke to the parents and explained what was going on. The shock of seeing a cabinet minister was overtaken by what he told them and he showed them the emails. The Mission school also contacted the parents despite a number of years has passed and credit to them. The girl is now undergoing medical treatment and there is much progress. NUS has given her an extended leave to get things right.

In all my years, I have never heard of a minister ever personally attending to such a matter.

Now the digging and its results. TCJ asked to leave cabinet because he was uncomfortable. I heard this from day one and I already mentioned in another thread but others that are close have also confirmed it in subsequent days. Cabinet ministers all sign a confidentiality agreement so the case or cases that are the tipping point/s won't come out anytime soon. So it will take a couple years before some ex-cabinet colleagues will hint the reason. The person that was most impacted is Tharman as both have become close and it was Tharman that wanted him as his point man on social issues.

He should have stayed on in the SAF then launch a coup

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

The man shows compassion. Amazing that the PAP does not reject him and Lily Neo like the body rejects foreign tissue.
Or maybe the party keeps them so they can show a merciful face. Okay I remember the the cardboard gathering is exercise comment. However, we should not condemn a man on a single statement. It is possible one of those old folks with a penchant for sarcasm might actually have told him that.

Frankly, I would rather have him as President.
He is facing the same dilemma that George Yeo and Dhanabalan, both good Christians, wrestled with. Both mortgaged their souls, consoling themselves change could be effected from the inside, quietly. I suspect GY has come to regard his election loss with grateful relief.

So , the Mission school in question. Catholic or others?

Last edited:

chucky

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps his show of compassion is just a show, to get people to like him. Politicians frequently do things to try and be popular.

The man shows compassion. Amazing that the PAP does not reject him and Lily Neo like the body rejects foreign tissue.
Or maybe the party keeps them so they can show a merciful face. Okay I remember the the cardboard gathering is exercise comment. However, we should not condemn a man on a single statement. It is possible one of those old folks with a penchant for sarcasm might actually have told him that. Frankly, I would rather have him as President.
He is facing the same dilemma that George Yeo and Dhanabalan, both good Christians, wrestled with. Both mortgaged their souls, consoling themselves change could be effected from the inside, quietly. I suspect GY has come to regard his election loss with grateful relief.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What dilemma? Once you joined PAP camp, you lost all your conscience and sold your soul for a good sum for retirements, the rest is just secondary to the minsters.

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay I remember the the cardboard gathering is exercise comment. However, we should not condemn a man on a single statement.

I am afraid you can, in this case. TCJ humiliates the poor & helpless electorate from his zone when they seek help from him.
He is known to scold those to beg him for help (for medical, bread and butter issue) and preaching that it is not the government's duty to take care of the handicapped or helpless in the family.

He has been an over-achiever in his life, so he believes that working hard will translate to success in life.

In life, we don't judge someone just because they don't excel in studies or career.
Not everyone is born with a silver spoon or high IQ.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What dilemma? Once you joined PAP camp, you lost all your conscience and sold your soul for a good sum for retirements, the rest is just secondary to the minsters.

Agreed. A good friend turned them down many times because he knows what he will be in for. His promotion was super slow in consideration of his talent. He stayed neutral and it is great he finally make it to the top in his profession.

Victory2016

Alfrescian
Loyal
Change must come from the very top.

Trying to change things from the inside? Can a Captain change anything his General decrees?

It would be more effective if He'd pray to his God for a change of the leadership

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep, Catholic school.

The PAP cannot toss them out if not they will never be able to attract quality candidates in the future. TCJ if he made cabinet, he certainly would have passed the PS category. He is also now the anchor Marine Parade GRC and I don't think the electorate will tolerate a walking corpse in the form of GCT. The message is he is dead keen to help his residents and continue as MP. And he has considerable support.

The cardboard thing is still something that I irks me somewhat. Still trying this one out.

Or maybe the party keeps them so they can show a merciful face. Okay I remember the the cardboard gathering is exercise comment. However, we should not condemn a man on a single statement. It is possible one of those old folks with a penchant for sarcasm might actually have told him that.

Frankly, I would rather have him as President.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This story never appeared anywhere. The family must be nuts revealing about their daughter's condition by boasting about a visit by a cabinet. Even a person with border line IQ can find a must better and simpler way to create a show for the sake of publicity. Just watch CCC or OKY.

I am told even the extended family and relatives are not aware.

Perhaps his show of compassion is just a show, to get people to like him. Politicians frequently do things to try and be popular.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. look at the VB and his comment about changing the PAP from inside. Now he is face of PAP and there is no doubt. In fact it is worse now then prior to him joining.

Change must come from the very top.

Trying to change things from the inside? Can a Captain change anything his General decrees?

It would be more effective if He'd pray to his God for a change of the leadership

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forgot to mention and something I only came to know yesterday. The people close to him said that he was his own man. He apparently turned down Harvard to do his Masters in Public Policy Management in NUS. Makes you wonder why?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Forgot to mention and something I only came to know yesterday. The people close to him said that he was his own man. He apparently turned down Harvard to do his Masters in Public Policy Management in NUS. Makes you wonder why?

An interesting read, given that other inside sources said boy scout chuan jin fell from grace because he was outright incompetent and made a mess of whichever ministry he was posted to. I am glad I've bet on the right horse thus far. When PM Kee Chiu takes over, my family and I would be rightly placed to benefit from his rising star.

Kotekbengkok

Alfrescian
Loyal
JT, normally you talk cock but on this I must agree with you. All this nonsensical urban legend about him going to someone's house to be a salvation angel of sorts is someone's creation, no doubt, Even in the unlikely event that it actually happened it shows how screwed up he was as a minister where he did not have the proper systems and procedures and the right people in place to help someone in dire need, so much so that it required multi millionaire minister to have to visit just one person when if he had done his job right in the first place many hundreds and thousands would be helped.

An interesting read, given that other inside sources said boy scout chuan jin fell from grace because he was outright incompetent and made a mess of whichever ministry he was posted to. I am glad I've bet on the right horse thus far. When PM Kee Chiu takes over, my family and I would be rightly placed to benefit from his rising star.