• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Sponsored weddings are on the rise

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sponsored weddings are on the rise but should guests still pay the hongbao price?

When guests attended Instagram influencer Melissa Celestine Koh's wedding dinner last month, many were initially wowed by the unique touches at the event.

The 28-year-old has some 234,000 followers on her main Instagram account. She has another Instagram account with 16,700 followers. What was the point of giving a hongbao, or red packet, if virtually everything was paid for?

"I felt cheated," says a guest at the dinner, who wanted to be known only as Min, 27. She has known Ms Koh since university.

"The sponsorships cheapened the wedding, made it insincere, and I felt as though she had made money off me through her wedding."

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/anger-over-influencers-sponsored-wedding

--------------------------

These unkind remarks are uncalled for. I can vouch that many of the Melissa Celestine' guests are happy for her. She has a higher level of fame and taste (than Xiaxue) to attract those sponsorships.

All the best Mel! And I wish you happiness.

Last edited:

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fashion labels and magazines should boycott those bloggers who mock melissa's wedding.
She didn't cheat, she didn't lie.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think us Chinese give the ang pow specifically to defer the wedding cost and give the couple a good start without debt. I remember clearly the elderly explaining this when I was a kid. i think it is wonderful.

She could have managed expectations by letting people know so they can make the necessary adjustments. I have come across an occasion when wedding guests started to hurriedlybput additional bills when they found out the groom was going to be retrenched.

I think ST went overboard as the remarks were caustic and seemed one sided.

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have come across an occasion when wedding guests started to hurriedlybput additional bills when they found out the groom was going to be retrenched.

I know Mel. She is not alighn with SPH, so they whack her because sponsors went to her.

It is outright jealousy.
Almost can chop head guarantee that 9 out of 10 guest felt happy and honoured to be invited for her. We share her joy.
those bloggers who criticized her, also had some kind sponsors for their own wedding, just not as glam as Mel.
Mel is not an arrogant person or engage in online quarrels.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Altogether now!!! Huat ah!!!

Who knew you can make a living by being an influencer on Instagram?

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Altogether now!!! Huat ah!!!

Who knew you can make a living by being an influencer on Instagram?

A Taxation Illustration 1:
- A minister's child got a video/photo shoot at 70% off Retail Price.
- Mel got it at $0 because of sponsorship.

If Mel taxed at the full value of the package, it means that we should tax the minister's child should also be taxed at 70% of the beneficial value.
But are you sure tax officers will pursue the minister's child?

Taxation Example 2:
A rice mill donates their rice as gift-in-kind.
By pursuing bloggers like Mel for beneficial income from gifts and sponsorship, it means that the receiving charity must recognizes the retail value of the rice and issues a receipt of $10000. However, the rice mill will not be able to claim a loss of $10000 because the cost of rice is merely $3000.

In taxation accounting, the tax officers will only recognize $3000 inventory value for the gift-in-kind and not $10000.
(Assuming no additional tax deductibles for charity donations)
So with a missing $7000 value, how are we going to pursue the bloggers who received the gift-in-kind or sponsorship at $10000 value.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
You've missed my point- two decades back and folks were still tinkering with homepage and pinging other users offline, who would have thought digital currencies and job markets are sprouting like mushrooms all over?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiya the bride and the guests are both cheebye ppl la.

The bride took so many sponsorships but didn't declare. It's almost a free wedding. Actually better than free cos she got to keep most of the things after the wedding.

Guests are probably not her friends or relatives. But they also cheebye la, some said they took out some money from the red packets after knowing that the wedding was heavily sponsored.

Goes to show how cheebye ppl these days are.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IF the wedding is sponsored, than the couple should indicate that it is sooo,,,,that way the profiteering is minimal. For the Chinese, the ang pow is to cover the costs of the wedding and the wedding banquet is damn expensive. But I also notice that couples want to lavish, spend heaps on photography, the banquet etc. In the past, the wedding was a get together to celebrate a couple taking the next step in their lives. In the past village wedding etc everyone chip in to help. Now its more for the couple to show off that they got this and that and all that crap...and they expect the guests to pick up the tab for them....and worst thing is they invite any tom dick or harry to maximise the ang pows. Before that weddings were attended by close friends and relatives. Now they invite their subordinates etc to maximise their ang pows. There was a time I was in financial difficulties and a good friend who was getting married, knew it, he ask me to be his 'brother' help with photos decorations etc,,told me no need to give..just offer help,,this is the real difference between good friends wedding and commercial friends wedding,

I think us Chinese give the ang pow specifically to defer the wedding cost and give the couple a good start without debt. I remember clearly the elderly explaining this when I was a kid. i think it is wonderful.

She could have managed expectations by letting people know so they can make the necessary adjustments. I have come across an occasion when wedding guests started to hurriedlybput additional bills when they found out the groom was going to be retrenched.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tax authorities all over the World use the same approach to classify income. She is a professional influencer and thats her job. Any gift or sponsorship thereon on becomes taxable income.

A Taxation Illustration 1:
- A minister's child got a video/photo shoot at 70% off Retail Price.
- Mel got it at $0 because of sponsorship.

If Mel taxed at the full value of the package, it means that we should tax the minister's child should also be taxed at 70% of the beneficial value.
But are you sure tax officers will pursue the minister's child?

Taxation Example 2:
A rice mill donates their rice as gift-in-kind.
By pursuing bloggers like Mel for beneficial income from gifts and sponsorship, it means that the receiving charity must recognizes the retail value of the rice and issues a receipt of $10000. However, the rice mill will not be able to claim a loss of $10000 because the cost of rice is merely $3000.

In taxation accounting, the tax officers will only recognize $3000 inventory value for the gift-in-kind and not $10000.
(Assuming no additional tax deductibles for charity donations)
So with a missing $7000 value, how are we going to pursue the bloggers who received the gift-in-kind or sponsorship at $10000 value.

thinkorsink

Alfrescian
Loyal
hmm... I intend to invite the president, the pm and sm, and all hardworking grassroots to my wedding dinner to be held in the Maldives. I am going to ensure it will be a super super star wedding, maciam more glam than the small time mediacock actresses's wedding not to be mentioned. it's going to be a blast party of the century. minus the siao charbors from sph and mediacock cos' they are not welcome.:biggrin:

swimorsink

Alfrescian
Loyal
hmm... I intend to invite the president, the pm and sm, and all hardworking grassroots to my wedding dinner to be held in the Maldives. I am going to ensure it will be a super super star wedding, maciam more glam than the small time mediacock actresses's wedding not to be mentioned. it's going to be a blast party of the century. minus the siao charbors from sph and mediacock cos' they are not welcome.:biggrin:

Are you going to marry Narong?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
narong will be my best man.:biggrin:

Siang kar pager?

Kudos to them for leveraging on their fame to get freebies.
The sour grapes should just fuck off.
These losers are the same kind of fake friends who try to borrow money after hearing you kena 4D or got windfall.
Got freebies means must share ah? No one owe losers a living....not happy ask for angpow back no need kpkb publicly

thinkorsink

Alfrescian
Loyal
good brother narong, although your skin is black, I dun mind.:biggrin:

Siang kar pager?

Kudos to them for leveraging on their fame to get freebies.
The sour grapes should just fuck off.
These losers are the same kind of fake friends who try to borrow money after hearing you kena 4D or got windfall.
Got freebies means must share ah? No one owe losers a living....not happy ask for angpow back no need kpkb publicly

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will the sponsor get to go for honeymoon with the bride and after return her back to the rightful partner?

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Will the sponsor get to go for honeymoon with the bride and after return her back to the rightful partner?
tidak, whatever has to be fulfilled, is done before the wedding, not after.
pse refer to the terms and conditions.... also - once broken, considered sold :wink: