• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The most pathetic list of "contributions" ever made by a Minister I have seen

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's not that hard.....
He just have to remember this.....
"Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's".

The problem arises when you realize Jesus and Caesar are not exactly the best of friends.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The problem arises when you realize Jesus and Caesar are not exactly the best of friends.

As far as I can see, the PAP is the devil. How can Talk Cock Jin worship and pray to both the devil and God. Impossible. If you are a devote Christian, then you cannot count yourself among the devil PAP's disciples.

ThePimp

Alfrescian
Loyal
never trust sg politicians who never fail to remind sinkies how religious they are. Yaw shin leong, khaw boon wan, lim boon heng, tan chuan jin...to name a few only. Another to look out for: Ng chee meng, who calls himself a "committed" christian, not just a christian. contrast these jokers to chee soon juan..:oIo::kma:

There will always be naïve people who will be taken in by what others say or do or what they claim to be or have done.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
While Shit Times have been ordered to sing the praises of Talk Cock Jin now, earlier in the year, they were character assassinating him with these sort of articles, heavily implying that as Minister for Social and Family Development, he let things get very bad and out of hand. If he could have solved these issues as Minister, then I would say he has contributed something. Not this fake article.

Ploughing on: The faces and insecurities of Singapore’s elderly working poor

The poverty rate has been rising among the working elderly, one study shows. Why do seniors here feel the need to work for long hours and low pay, despite the help schemes available for the needy?

SINGAPORE: They get taken for beggars sometimes as they poke through the trash, by people who exclaim “eiyuh!” in disgust. Impatient drivers honk as the duo push their laden trolleys along the road.
“My brother cannot hear the cars horn,” said the man who asked to be known as ‘Eddie’. “When I tell them he cannot speak or hear, most say sorry. Others curse and say, ‘****, lah, I don’t care’.”
The 63-year-old has long since learned to swallow his pride and let such comments slide, over 20 years of doing what he must to look after his deaf-mute brother, who is 68 and diabetic.
This includes scrounging for odd jobs, in between forays to pick and sell cardboard around their Serangoon one-room rental flat, in any weather.

“We’ve collected in the rain. I got sick. It's okay when (my brother) falls sick; I cannot fall sick, because I am basically his ears and head, so he’s in trouble,” said Eddie, who pushes a trolley stacked with cardboard higher than his 1.5-metre frame.

A good day is when the brothers collectively make about S$20. That’s with a haul of nearly 200kg, depending on price fluctuations. Said Eddie: “After a long time, our bones start to ache. It really hurts.”

Life had looked a lot different, once.
Back then, Singapore, like Eddie, was young and the economy booming (“if you wanted jobs, there was one for you,” as he put it). Earning steady money as a factory worker, construction labourer, driver and printer, he built up a family and a comfortable nest egg over the years.
Then cancer struck, twice – taking from him both his wife and his mother within the space of a year, and wiping out his life savings and most of his Medisave, he said.
Eddie was left to care full-time for his deaf-mute brother, which meant he could no longer hold a steady job. His brother’s life as a cardboard-picker became his own. “No choice. Back then there weren’t all these concessions for the elderly, or Pioneer Generation card; we had only ourselves to rely on.”
As Singapore ages, the number of seniors who work into their silver years is growing too – especially among the lower-income group, for whom retirement is an alien concept.

In recent years they have become more visible as food court cleaners, servers, security guards, tissue-sellers and scrap collectors. Given Singapore’s plethora of help schemes for the needy – such as the Pioneer Generation Package (PGP) and Silver Support Scheme for the old – why do the elderly poor feel the need to work for long hours and often low pay?
Do the jobs that the elderly poor do, as well as society’s safety nets, offer them adequate sense of security and quality of life in their old age?
RELATIVE POVERTY RISING AMONG THE WORKING ELDERLY
In a 2015 paper on elderly poverty in Singapore written for the Tsao Foundation, Assistant Professor Ng Kok Hoe of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy made one surprising observation – while the poverty rate among elderly persons not working had fallen over the years, that for elderly persons in the workforce appeared to have actually increased dramatically.
The poverty rate among the working elderly jumped from 13 per cent in 1995, to 28 per cent in 2005 - to 41 per cent in 2011.

According to Manpower Ministry figures, in 2016 about 23 per cent of persons over 65 in the formal workforce were earning less than S$1,000 a month. That’s less than the 36 per cent in 2013, and 57 per cent in 2003, indicating that earnings for elderly workers have been rising.
But inflation and wages in the rest of society have also risen. And Dr Ng’s calculation draws the comparison between the elderly and the general population. It uses 40 per cent of the median population work income as a “convenient poverty line”, and compares that to elderly individuals’ incomes (which, besides work, could include sources such as children and state assistance).

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While Shit Times have been ordered to sing the praises of Talk Cock Jin now, earlier in the year, they were character assassinating him with these sort of articles, heavily implying that as Minister for Social and Family Development, he let things get very bad and out of hand. If he could have solved these issues as Minister, then I would say he has contributed something. Not this fake article.

Ploughing on: The faces and insecurities of Singapore’s elderly working poor

The poverty rate has been rising among the working elderly, one study shows. Why do seniors here feel the need to work for long hours and low pay, despite the help schemes available for the needy?

SINGAPORE: They get taken for beggars sometimes as they poke through the trash, by people who exclaim “eiyuh!” in disgust. Impatient drivers honk as the duo push their laden trolleys along the road.
“My brother cannot hear the cars horn,” said the man who asked to be known as ‘Eddie’. “When I tell them he cannot speak or hear, most say sorry. Others curse and say, ‘****, lah, I don’t care’.”
The 63-year-old has long since learned to swallow his pride and let such comments slide, over 20 years of doing what he must to look after his deaf-mute brother, who is 68 and diabetic.
This includes scrounging for odd jobs, in between forays to pick and sell cardboard around their Serangoon one-room rental flat, in any weather.

“We’ve collected in the rain. I got sick. It's okay when (my brother) falls sick; I cannot fall sick, because I am basically his ears and head, so he’s in trouble,” said Eddie, who pushes a trolley stacked with cardboard higher than his 1.5-metre frame.

A good day is when the brothers collectively make about S$20. That’s with a haul of nearly 200kg, depending on price fluctuations. Said Eddie: “After a long time, our bones start to ache. It really hurts.”

Life had looked a lot different, once.
Back then, Singapore, like Eddie, was young and the economy booming (“if you wanted jobs, there was one for you,” as he put it). Earning steady money as a factory worker, construction labourer, driver and printer, he built up a family and a comfortable nest egg over the years.
Then cancer struck, twice – taking from him both his wife and his mother within the space of a year, and wiping out his life savings and most of his Medisave, he said.
Eddie was left to care full-time for his deaf-mute brother, which meant he could no longer hold a steady job. His brother’s life as a cardboard-picker became his own. “No choice. Back then there weren’t all these concessions for the elderly, or Pioneer Generation card; we had only ourselves to rely on.”
As Singapore ages, the number of seniors who work into their silver years is growing too – especially among the lower-income group, for whom retirement is an alien concept.

In recent years they have become more visible as food court cleaners, servers, security guards, tissue-sellers and scrap collectors. Given Singapore’s plethora of help schemes for the needy – such as the Pioneer Generation Package (PGP) and Silver Support Scheme for the old – why do the elderly poor feel the need to work for long hours and often low pay?
Do the jobs that the elderly poor do, as well as society’s safety nets, offer them adequate sense of security and quality of life in their old age?
RELATIVE POVERTY RISING AMONG THE WORKING ELDERLY
In a 2015 paper on elderly poverty in Singapore written for the Tsao Foundation, Assistant Professor Ng Kok Hoe of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy made one surprising observation – while the poverty rate among elderly persons not working had fallen over the years, that for elderly persons in the workforce appeared to have actually increased dramatically.
The poverty rate among the working elderly jumped from 13 per cent in 1995, to 28 per cent in 2005 - to 41 per cent in 2011.

According to Manpower Ministry figures, in 2016 about 23 per cent of persons over 65 in the formal workforce were earning less than S$1,000 a month. That’s less than the 36 per cent in 2013, and 57 per cent in 2003, indicating that earnings for elderly workers have been rising.
But inflation and wages in the rest of society have also risen. And Dr Ng’s calculation draws the comparison between the elderly and the general population. It uses 40 per cent of the median population work income as a “convenient poverty line”, and compares that to elderly individuals’ incomes (which, besides work, could include sources such as children and state assistance).

Due to the rise of such poverty...why don't the Pappies offer the Soylent Green approach..these old n Infirmed ppl are living a life of suffering. Let them go...their suffering ends n the country is not burdened...n Pappies have dictatorial powers..they can use these powers for good...alot of oldies in nursing homes want to go...n they are not given the best care. The workers there are just going through the system... looking after the patients...like change diapers 5 times a day n not when needed. Patients don't eat they are not fed...n human rights etc say it's wrong to let them go...etc etc.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Due to the rise of such poverty...why don't the Pappies offer the Soylent Green approach..these old n Infirmed ppl are living a life of suffering. Let them go...their suffering ends n the country is not burdened...n Pappies have dictatorial powers..they can use these powers for good...alot of oldies in nursing homes want to go...n they are not given the best care. The workers there are just going through the system... looking after the patients...like change diapers 5 times a day n not when needed. Patients don't eat they are not fed...n human rights etc say it's wrong to let them go...etc etc.

There are winners and losers in every society. You can't blame the PAP for that. It's the natural order of things.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

If Talk Cock Jin had implemented a Soylent Green system, at least we can say he actually has contributed.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Good article but could have been better if it points out that the rate of poverty in singapore is directly proportional to the increase in number of immigrants -meaning the more the immigrants the higher the number of poor locals.
This is one of the legacy of LHL-Impoverishing locals and making life better for immigrants from PRC, Pinoyland and India.
Is this what the 70% voted for-to make foreigners rich and locals poor?
I challenge any of the so called world class universities to proof my hypothesis wrong-i.e the increasing number of poor locals is directly correlated to the increasing number of foreign immigrants .

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Good article but could have been better if it points out that the rate of poverty in singapore is directly proportional to the increase in number of immigrants -meaning the more the immigrants the higher the number of poor locals.
This is one of the legacy of LHL-Impoverishing locals and making life better for immigrants from PRC, Pinoyland and India.
Is this what the 70% voted for-to make foreigners rich and locals poor?
I challenge any of the so called world class universities to proof my hypothesis wrong-i.e the increasing number of poor locals is directly correlated to the increasing number of foreign immigrants .

Yup, 100% right, I have been saying this for a while now. In the last 5 years, the PAP has created more new housing and more new jobs for FTs then for sinkies. There are now over 1.1 million HDB flats with more being build. Considering that the native born population of singapore is only about 3 million, that means that the average household has less then 3 people. Does that make sense at all? A large proportion of govt housing paid by the sinkie taxpayer is used to house foreigners. Same goes for jobs too. 2 million FTs here are mostly working at jobs created indirectly or directly by the PAP. These fucking traitors are continually being voted in by 70% gong cheebye.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
As far as I can see, the PAP is the devil. How can Talk Cock Jin worship and pray to both the devil and God. Impossible. If you are a devote Christian, then you cannot count yourself among the devil PAP's disciples.

He is not praying to devil and God at the same time. Please, the only reason he is with the devil is because he endeavours to "change from within". If you don't infiltrate into the tiger's den, you will never be able to capture the cubs.

He is preaching to the devil. How brave a man !