• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Tan Chuan Jin Promoted To Become Speaker of Parliament! Congratulations!

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Who is laughing now? Chan Chun Sing?

CCS is taking the trade onion base that comes with both money and power. lim saysay the chair warmer must be sad he got sidelined to go home and iron his cash and count his cpf. will ccs be saying heng arh, my surname not tan or lim.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
TCJ has disagreed with a number of positions taken by the cabinet. This could not go on. He however is keen to carry on in politics, as an MP and look after his ward. He has strong grassroots support as shown by the votes for the CEC for 3 consecutive terms. He in fact he outscored OKY and Grace Fu who had to be co opted for the last CEC. This move is the compromise for both the TCJ and the party.

He is expected to take on a position in the private sector besides the role of the speaker.

Abdullah Tarmugi has lost his political support from the Malay Community and had to be moved out. Similar to Tarmugi is Lim Chee One who was removed as cabinet and NTUC Sec General when he lost the support of NTUC leadership team.

TCJ's case is similar to that of Dhanalablan.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
21317919_1593633260699374_871142351864676754_n.jpg

SINGAPORE — Social and Family Development Minister Tan Chuan-Jin, 48, has been nominated by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong as the next Speaker of Parliament, nearly a month after the post was vacated by Madam Halimah Yacob who is contesting in the Presidential Election later this month, the Prime Minister's Office announced on Tuesday (Sept 5).

Mr Tan, set to be the third Speaker in less than five years, will need to be elected by Parliament at its next sitting on Sept 11.

The Speaker's post was vacated after Madam Halimah, 63, resigned on Aug 7 to run in the Presidential Election, the first reserved for the Malay community following changes to the Elected Presidency scheme passed by the House last year.

Member of Parliament (Punggol East) Charles Chong, one of two Deputy Speakers, has since been filling in as Acting Speaker.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Desmond Lee, who was promoted to a full Minister in May, will take over the helm of the Ministry of Social and Family Development. Mr Lee is also currently Second Minister in the Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of National Development.

Should Mr Tan be elected by the House as Speaker, he will follow in the footsteps of Mr Abdullah Tarmugi, who became Speaker in 2002 after an eight-year stint in the Cabinet.

Seen as part of the core group of fourth generation leaders, Mr Tan, who rose to the rank of Brigadier-General, left the army to join politics in 2011. Two weeks after the 2011 General Election, he was appointed a Minister of State at the

Ministry of Manpower and Ministry of National Development. Mr Tan was appointed Acting Manpower Minister in 2012, and became a full Minister in 2014. About a year later, he took on the social and family development portfolio.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/tan-chuan-jin-nominated-next-speaker

will he give commands like a real general?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaker of Parliament is just like a moderator in the forum.

So now he gets paid as Minister ? If not, how much is a Speaker of Parliament paid ? And Speaker of Parliament is not a full-time job, apparently.

Meaning Tan does not hold a full time job ?

I think speaker earns less than full minister

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is CCS trying to be sarcastic when he says that the the role of Speaker is a “very important position” in Singapore’s system of Government ?

" We need somebody with the stature, who is open-minded, who is fair, balanced, and can command the respect of all parliamentarians. From what I know of Chuan-Jin personally, I think he will do a good job in this aspect.”

You can smell his utter insincerity.

Firstly, are there any positions in the government that are not very important or not important at all ? Secondly, are there any cabinet ministers today who are not fair and balanced in thinking and approach ?

Compare Halimah who was only Minister of State becoming a Speaker of Parliament, this is obviously a 'demotion' for TCJ from full Minister to becoming just the Speaker of Parliament.

CCS is just trying to sugarcoat the role as though it has suddenly become so very important while in the past it was not so important just so because TCJ who is supposedly of ministerial caliber is now taking it on.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy is an idiot. He probably hates TCJ and the principles he upholds.

The role of speaker of Parliament in the Westminster and Singapore model is a mundane role that requires no leadership or legal skills. It is a politically dead end role. His comments are not only over the top and to your point - insincere.

Is CCS trying to be sarcastic when he says that the the role of Speaker is a “very important position” in Singapore’s system of Government ?

" We need somebody with the stature, who is open-minded, who is fair, balanced, and can command the respect of all parliamentarians. From what I know of Chuan-Jin personally, I think he will do a good job in this aspect.”

Firstly, are there any positions in the government that are not very important ? Secondly, are there any cabinet ministers today who are not fair and balanced in thinking and approach ?
Compare Halimah who was only Minister of State becoming a Speaker of Parliament, this is obviously a 'demotion' for TCJ from full Minister to Speaker of Parliament.

CCS is just trying to sugarcoat the role as though it has suddenly become very important while in the past it was not so important just because TCJ who supposedly is of ministerial caliber is taking it on.

jw5

Loyal
Those uncles and aunties who collect cardboard for exercise and leisure are going to be so happy. :biggrin:

SINGAPORE — Social and Family Development Minister Tan Chuan-Jin, 48, has been nominated by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong as the next Speaker of Parliament, nearly a month after the post was vacated by Madam Halimah Yacob who is contesting in the Presidential Election later this month, the Prime Minister's Office announced on Tuesday (Sept 5).

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Firstly, are there any positions in the government that are not very important or not important at all ? Secondly, are there any cabinet ministers today who are not fair and balanced in thinking and approach ?

Compare Halimah who was only Minister of State becoming a Speaker of Parliament, this is obviously a 'demotion' for TCJ from full Minister to becoming just the Speaker of Parliament.

CCS is just trying to sugarcoat the role as though it has suddenly become very important while in the past it was not so important just so because TCJ who is supposedly of ministerial caliber is now taking it on.

What else do you expect kee chiu and the good PM to say? That boy scout chuan jin has fallen from grace and has been demoted?

PAP is well-known for its tight discipline, unlike the oppies who take delight in fighting amongst themselves in public. Chuan Jin would be praised to the heavens like he is some hero, and he will go gladly as though he's really been promoted. He will likely move into some GLC role by the next GE.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
CCS must have whispered something to LHL.

LHL is anything but a strategist. He cares only to fill the holes. Not sure if the other DPMs were consulted. It must have been a quick decision.

Poor TCJ.

He is keeping to the belief that he must have been highly regarded by PM to be given the position of the Speaker of the House.
At the very least, it offers some comfort in the belief.

You see it in his FB. He sought for strength from God to do the role of the Speaker of the Parliament. I thought a full minister 's job is tougher. It just makes me wonder.

"May God continue to grant me wisdom, courage and love in all that I do. However inadequate as I may be, I hope that I can fight the good fight, finish the race and keep the faith.
And of course. My family. Words cannot express how much your continued love and support mean to me in carrying out my duties and responsibilities."

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
CCS must have whispered something to LHL.

LHL is anything but a strategist. He cares only to fill the holes. It must have been a quick decision.

Poor TCJ.

He is keeping to the belief that he must have been highly regarded by PM to be given the position of the Speaker of the House.
At the very least, it offers some comfort in the blind belief.

Kee Chiu is happy. TCJ has always been seen as his rival in politics. Both came in at the same time, both were at least of BG rank (kee chiu is one rank higher). Now with boy scout TCJ out of the way, Kee Chiu will have his sights on Ng Chee Meng. Maybe the next speaker of parliament could be Ng Chee Meng?

I am glad I've never been too polite to TCJ during grassroots event. I don't wish to go down with his sinking ship. Grassroots and CCC leaders who have been too friendly with boy scout are now regretting it. All that political investment down the drain. TCJ won't be leading marine parade GRC for long.

The good ESM will be retiring soon, and TCJ is no longer a minister. MP ward needs a strong leader, not one fallen from grace.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is clear that TCJ is out of the PM race.

Just wondering what did he do or didn't do that cause him to lose his Minister's job ?

He is a nice guy, I was told.

But ..... nice guys are usually indecisive when faced with tough calls. The good thing is nice guys make good , fair and balanced ceremonial speakers.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It is clear that TCJ is out of the PM race.

Just wondering what did he do or didn't do that cause him to lose his Minister's job ?

He is a nice guy, I was told.

But ..... nice guys are usually indecisive when faced with tough calls. The good thing is nice guys make good , fair and balanced ceremonial speakers.

In love or politics, nice guys finish last.

Ah Gong was a great politician because he wasn't a nice guy. He did what was necessary to survive and thrive, both for himself and for the sinkie people.

Time for boy scout to carry his cross.

"May God continue to grant me wisdom, courage and love in all that I do. However inadequate as I may be, I hope that I can fight the good fight, finish the race and keep the faith.
And of course. My family. Words cannot express how much your continued love and support mean to me in carrying out my duties and responsibilities. " - TCJ fb

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Desmond Lee , on the other hand, is an up and rising star. The son of Lee Yock Suan, his rise to Full Minister was nothing but phenomenal. He has the backing of his father and aides. I do not know if Lee Yock Suan is related to the Lees.

jw5

Loyal
He even looks a little like LHL. :biggrin:

th

Desmond Lee , on the other hand, is an up and rising star. The son of Lee Yock Suan, his rise to Full Minister was nothing but phenomenal. He has the backing of his father and aides. I do not know if Lee Yock Suan is related to the Lees.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Speaker is the head of the legislature, one of the 3 branches of government, the others being: the executive (led by LHL), and the judiciary (CJ Sundaresh Menon). So, technically, it is not a demotion.

It's good to see TCJ hit his potential so young.

Minister to Speaker of Parliament is a clear demotion.

Will we see TCJ quit politics at the next GE?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal

Think of Immortal Charles Chong and Michael PumpHer.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
'We have companies, jobs, departments being outsourced and completely relocating to Manila because graduates in Manila could do their
job for a fraction of the pay
''
https://www.rappler.com/world/regio...836-rappler-talk-singapore-after-lee-kuan-yew

'' Tan Chuan-Jin had strong words yesterday for those orchestrating a campaign against a planned event to celebrate Philippine independence day here.
In a Facebook post, he called on Singaporeans to take a stand against such "repulsive" peddlers of hate ''
http://www.asiaone.com/singapore/say-no-bigotry-tan-chuan-jin

It seems a Filipino related appointment will be suitable for him

Last edited: