Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tan Chuan Jin Promoted To Become Speaker of Parliament! Congratulations!

My Reputation Points: 2771 / Power: 4

Default Tan Chuan Jin Promoted To Become Speaker of Parliament! Congratulations!

SINGAPORE — Social and Family Development Minister Tan Chuan-Jin, 48, has been nominated by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong as the next Speaker of Parliament, nearly a month after the post was vacated by Madam Halimah Yacob who is contesting in the Presidential Election later this month, the Prime Minister's Office announced on Tuesday (Sept 5).

Mr Tan, set to be the third Speaker in less than five years, will need to be elected by Parliament at its next sitting on Sept 11.

The Speaker's post was vacated after Madam Halimah, 63, resigned on Aug 7 to run in the Presidential Election, the first reserved for the Malay community following changes to the Elected Presidency scheme passed by the House last year.

Member of Parliament (Punggol East) Charles Chong, one of two Deputy Speakers, has since been filling in as Acting Speaker.

Minister in the Prime Minister's Office Desmond Lee, who was promoted to a full Minister in May, will take over the helm of the Ministry of Social and Family Development. Mr Lee is also currently Second Minister in the Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of National Development.

Should Mr Tan be elected by the House as Speaker, he will follow in the footsteps of Mr Abdullah Tarmugi, who became Speaker in 2002 after an eight-year stint in the Cabinet.

Seen as part of the core group of fourth generation leaders, Mr Tan, who rose to the rank of Brigadier-General, left the army to join politics in 2011. Two weeks after the 2011 General Election, he was appointed a Minister of State at the

Ministry of Manpower and Ministry of National Development. Mr Tan was appointed Acting Manpower Minister in 2012, and became a full Minister in 2014. About a year later, he took on the social and family development portfolio.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore...d-next-speaker
    Do something meaningful. Join the grassroots. Peoples' Association all the way!

My Reputation Points: 341 / Power: 0

Default Re: Tan Chuan Jin Promoted To Become Speaker of Parliament! Congratulations!

Can't be worse than HoneyMah, the token figure.
    PM Lee Kuan Yew: “Whoever governs Singapore must have that iron in him. Or give it up. This is not a game of cards. This is your life and mine. I’ve spent a whole lifetime building this and as long as I’m in charge, nobody is going to knock it down.”
    #Hatersgonnahate

My Reputation Points: 4315 / Power: 11

Default Re: Tan Chuan Jin Promoted To Become Speaker of Parliament! Congratulations!

Congrats Mr Tan but I much rather he becomes the next PM instead

My Reputation Points: 250 / Power: 0

Minister to Speaker of Parliament is a clear demotion.

Will we see TCJ quit politics at the next GE?
    Last edited by ckmpd; 05-09-2017 at 09:59 AM.

My Reputation Points: 260 / Power: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ckmpd View Post
    Minister to Speaker of Parliament is a clear demotion
    Speaker of Parliament is just like a moderator in the forum.

So now he gets paid as Minister ? If not, how much is a Speaker of Parliament paid ? And Speaker of Parliament is not a full-time job, apparently.

Meaning Tan does not hold a full time job ?

My Reputation Points: 250 / Power: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bonut View Post
    Speaker of Parliament is just like a moderator in the forum.

So now he gets paid as Minister ? If not, how much is a Speaker of Parliament paid ? And Speaker of Parliament is not a full-time job, apparently.

Meaning Tan does not hold a full time job ?
    Junior Minister abt $1.1m a year. Speaker abt $0.5m a year.

Minister has a ministry to manage. Speaker easy job. Severe demotion. Next step is out of politics.

This demotion can be due to either one of two reasons:
    1. Severe bad performance
    2. Sickness.
    Last edited by ckmpd; 05-09-2017 at 10:10 AM.

My Reputation Points: 981 / Power: 10

Recently the speaker of parliament never serve full term. One eat mangoes one will run for election. This Tan will do what ?

My Reputation Points: 2307 / Power: 8

Good lor...next president of Singkieland

My Reputation Points: 2307 / Power: 8

Junior Minister abt $1.1m a year. Speaker abt $0.5m a year.

Minister has a ministry to manage. Speaker easy job. Severe demotion. Next step is out of politics.

This demotion can be due to either one of two reasons:
    1. Severe bad performance
    2. Sickness.
    In Ozland speaker of parleement is a damn plump job..good perks n supposed to be a dignified position. One former Ozland speaker was forced to resign due to an expenses scandal....n I the Ozland speaker do more work than Singkieland wan...

My Reputation Points: 200 / Power: 0

First demoted from ministry of manpower to a relac post in msf, he managed to cock up a wayang opportunity by saying elderly collect cardboard as a form of exercise.

He still collects a 6 figure salary as speaker. The system takes care of scholars no matter how incompetent they are.

My Reputation Points: 169 / Power: 0

Promotion my foot! One less competitor for his own handpicked successors either OYK or CCS.

My Reputation Points: 169 / Power: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bhoven View Post
    Promotion my foot! One less competitor for his own handpicked successors either OYK or CCS.
    Incidentally, the use of the photograph was intentional. To show who is the boss ( and who is the supplicant )

My Reputation Points: 5401 / Power: 11

Quote Originally Posted by bhoven View Post
    Who's happy with TCJ becoming Speaker of Parliament? Kee Chiu!
    i am an ordinary sinkie sheep!!!

My Reputation Points: 62 / Power: 0

He has arisen in protocol

My Reputation Points: 4256 / Power: 10

Yes indeed. Ex speakers never amount to much after that. Unless Halimah walkover then speaker become prez

My Reputation Points: 139 / Power: 0

One big happy family all kawan kawan:

Last edited by gatehousethetinkertailor; 05-09-2017 at 11:52 AM.

My Reputation Points: 73 / Power: 0

Who is laughing now? Chan Chun Sing?

My Reputation Points: 696 / Power: 0

I wonder if LHL is engineering it such that he remains as PM even after 5 years.

CCS to NTUC
    TCJ as Speaker

When the time comes, he will say NCM and OYK are not experienced enough, HSK as not healthy enough and it's not good for LW to be PM he is a divorcee.

Tharman and TCH will step down.

So who else is there? Well LHL of course!

My Reputation Points: 889 / Power: 10

Quote Originally Posted by McDonaldsKid View Post
    I wonder if LHL is engineering it such that he remains as PM even ...!
    My guess is that he needs to/must step down, though not his choice.

My Reputation Points: 458 / Power: 0

the cock suckers in MParade obviously have it coming. i knew since lust erection that the inner circle will circumvent his career path and sideline him as he was too much of a threat to casio man. ong ye kun will be targetted next followed by sam tan.

Thread Information