• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Who's boycotting the Presidential Election?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People are resigned to the fact that she will be President. They are more interested in the other 2 candidates and how the decisions are made.

Terry Xu of TOC interestingly points out that the government machinery is rather quiet in preparing for the polls similar to Nathan's case and quite opposite to the 4 Tans EP. Teachers have not been notified etc .

this year psle will be on the 28 Sept 2017. i doubt election board has dry run in cordination with the MOE for the sElected President eRection. With the psle just a few days after the appointed eRection date, the primary schools involve wont have the time and manpower to conduct 2 events within days of each other.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
too much has been said of KFC very low 35% majority. in the end TCB close to 35% votes - 2/3 are probably PAP votes that will never go to the Opposition in a PE or GE.

1/3 hardcore PAP voters, 1/3 hardcore opposition voters, 1/3 fence sitters.

Even when there are 2 eligible candidates, you won't see 2/3 valid votes to Halimah.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
too much has been said of KFC very low 35% majority. in the end TCB close to 35% votes - 2/3 are probably PAP votes that will never go to the Opposition in a PE or GE.

Agree. That's why my emphasis on reducing % vote for PAP endorsed candidate rather than an outright win. And you do that by voting the other guy, not by boycotting.

That being said, 35% is a fucking disgrace for a head of state. Even in Europe where coalition govts are common, no head of state or head of govt gets a measly 35%.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
It does matter to them. Otherwise mangle the Constitution and rig the elections to keep TCB – who lost – out?

Obviously the 35% was a slap in the face for the establishment. How do you think TT feels every time he shakes hands with a foreign dignitary and people are sniggering behind his back saying that 65% of the pop voted against him?

If it took only 1 election to make them kalang-kabut, what do you think would be a series of such elections where the PAP-endorsed guy couldn't even get a majority even if he won?

Again you're seeing things in a black-and-white fashion: Halimah wins, PAP wins. Halimah loses, oppo wins. No in-between scenarios.

As I said above, if a series of elections turned out farcical results ('lame-duck' prez), what do you would happen?

1. The PAP wants face. They will probably give up tweaking the EP and go back to the original appointed prez system. End of wayang. We all know that the EP does diddly-squat anyway, despite his 'custodial powers'.

2. The non-PAP endorsed candidate wins. Could be start of a Singapore Spring with knock-on effects on the GE, but don't hold your breath.

Boycotting doesn't achieve either of the above scenarios.

Again you're obsessed with the win-lose dichotomy, considering only extreme tail outcomes. Your above scenario, while highly desirable, is hardly achievable at this moment, because:

1. 70% are PAP supporters. No way you can get a 50% boycott.. Even if you can get an implausible 25% boycott (diehard oppo supporters), what do you think will transpire? 75% will turn out on voting day, hand Halimah a resounding 95% of valid votes victory, and the PAP will announce to the entire world that Halimah is most popular prez in history!

You think the media will announce the no. of boycotters?

Do you know tens of millions of Americans don't vote at all every election? Are they factored in when we discuss whether Trump or Hillary won the popular vote? Do you know when analysts look at the popularity or mandate of the POTUS, only % valid votes are studied?

Theoretically, yes. But a unified front is not achieved in one day or one election. (Be my guest if you can convince 50% to boycott.) Many small steps have to be taken.

Let's start with minimizing Halimah's vote share. Boycotting does not even take the first step.

Like I said.. Do what u think is right. It is non of my issue.

I need to say this again and again. I do not suffer from any forms of inferiority complex and do not need to convince others to do what I do, so that I can feel good about it.

My happiness and purpose in life has nothing to do with others.

I fully respect the decision of others and do not trouble them unnecessarily.

swissbank

Alfrescian
Loyal
no horse run only 1 horse race!

Attachments

• one horse race.jpg
    one horse race.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 247

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
want to boycott then diam diam boycott lah. no need to tell the whole world.

all are balless, spineless citizens. Only Hougangittes has big brass balls,

tyudm

Alfrescian
Loyal
I need to say this again and again. I do not suffer from any forms of inferiority complex and do not need to convince others to do what I do, so that I can feel good about it.

Are you suffering from the lack of superiority complex?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Aliyah damn talk cock lah this boycott what shit.

Do the ultimate. Boycott Singapore! Otherwise you continue to stay in sinkieland what difference does it make to your life? Seriously.

All talking cock big shit like boycott or vote makes a real difference really. Dream on guys.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aliyah damn talk cock lah this boycott what shit.

Do the ultimate. Boycott Singapore! Otherwise you continue to stay in sinkieland what difference does it make to your life? Seriously.

You're as intellectually challenged as rectmobile.

He says: not happy with PAP, boycott election. You say: not happy with PAP, boycott Singapore. What's the difference?

Just wondering: do you tell Canadians who're unhappy with Trudeau's politics to emigrate? Do you tell your American friends who're fed up with Trump to 'boycott' the US?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Nope we just do the talking with our votes at the next elections.

you trying to compare sinkies with Canadians? Please lah.

Wait till you all can vote a different govt besides PAP then talk ok?

Meanwhile you all just kpkb makes lots of noise and NOTHING changes. Because sinkies are truly stupid.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Though my obstinate mom was an avid PAP voter, but this time round she has strong distaste for HY for wanting to run for PE. She thinks HY sucks!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Though my obstinate mom was an avid PAP voter, but this time round she has strong distaste for HY for wanting to run for PE. She thinks HY sucks!

I congratulate your mother for being so pro-Singapore all these years. She has been a fine patriot.

Your mother needs to vote responsibly as usual. Vote for Halimah! Do good do together!

rusty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Like I said.. Do what u think is right. It is non of my issue.

My happiness and purpose in life has nothing to do with others.

I fully respect the decision of others and do not trouble them unnecessarily.

Why react like a sissy coward when you could reflect on all the suggestions and replies here?

Anyone who is boycotting the election pls feel free to have this boycotting discussion here.

You have the ability to chair this discussion?