• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Who's boycotting the Presidential Election?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here another leap of faith for those who intend to boycott;

1. The natural reaction for everyone is not to participate in a rigged elections which this is clearly the case. The reason for boycotting is clear sign of protest and also not to give credence to the establishment and the elections process by not turning up.

2. Then you find out that the establishment actually benefits when you boycott or spoil your votes as these are not counted. Again simple maths explains why in various posts in this thread. So there is an opportunity to embarrass the establishment and teach the PAP a lesson.

3. When Tony Tan former DPM and endorsed heavily in the Press, clan, business organisations only received 35.2% of the votes, it showed that 64.8% of Singaporean voters rejected the PAP candidate. Rusty explains this well. The embarrassment to Tony Tan and the PAP was huge and it made a fool of both. It is no surprise that Tony refused to do a second term. More importantly it shows that over 60% have no time for PAP.

4. When DPM Ong Tang Cheng only got 58.7% with heavy campaigning and press coverage while his opponent got 41.3% without campaigning, it does not take a fool to figure that people voted for someone who was not keen or that they had no idea about suggesting a high level of protest vote.

Here is what Ong Teng Cheng said when asked to explain this embarrassing amount of protest votes;

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 06.00.03.png

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats the sort of thinking that allows us to let things slip thru. 156,000 odd Singaporeans boycotted or spoilt their vote during the 2011 EP. Tony Tan got thru with a margin of only 7,382 votes. If only 10% of those who boycotted voted it would have embarrassed the govt even more.

unless there are clear signs during the election that it might be a razor-tight race, there's no need to feel regretful about the boycott decision simply because nobody saw this coming, it is totally unexpected.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thats the sort of thinking that allows us to let things slip thru. 156,000 odd Singaporeans boycotted or spoilt their vote during the 2011 EP. Tony Tan got thru with a margin of only 7,382 votes. If only 10% of those who boycotted voted it would have embarrassed the govt even more.

What if is 30% boycotted, Halimah will still get in...you think the PAP government will get embarrassed? Their skin is thicker than an elephant hide...I am boycotting not to fulfil statistics or make up odds or don't make up odds. It is for my own sanity & the lone bearer of a flag that says " f$#$^$k U"..enough is enough.

Either way, anyway you turn....HALIMAH will be in...unless some 'freak god', shine upon the PE...& one of the other candidates ( is any) gets a majority...until that ....IT WILL BE HALIMAh. It is time wasting , moaning & groaning over all this. Make up you own mind on what you want to do, (1) Vote for the other (2) Spoil the votes (3) Boycott....I chose (3).

The rest is up to you...

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, nobody including me have misunderstood you. You made the decision to boycott which is fine but the reasons you provided does not hold water never mind logic or simple maths. You can convince yourself that others have misunderstood you if he helps you sleep.

I had already made this clear in the post. I had never convinced myself what other had misunderstood me or not. That is your own perception of thing, not reality on how i post here. I done no convincing whatsoever. I just stated my view and if anyone disagree , that is not my issue. I don't care.

I only wish to attract like-minded individuals to have a discussion with me. it is that plain simple.

However, what i see is that people like you come in droves to convince others that you are right and others who hold different views as you, are wrong. That's say so much on such losing behaviour and now i know why PAP always win.

Let me make a point as to what i called like-minded people are:

1. Do not suffer from any forms of inferiority complex
2. respect the views and ideas of others
3. willing to boycott the election

I do not think you fit into any of these 4 points.

add one more point: understand the math behind boycotting the election.

4 points.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like I said, look at the title of your thread and the reasons you stated for the boycott in various posts. Feel free to boycott but the reasons that you cited do have to be challenged. You can convince yourself but not others behind your reasons. No doubt its your view but it is flawed, not based on logic nor simple maths. You have dug in your heels, buried your head in the sand but it does not eliminate the fact that your reasons are flawed and does not make sense if the desire is to challenge the PAP. To support the PAP, yes.

I had already made this clear in the post. I had never convinced myself what other had misunderstood me or not. That is your own perception of thing, not reality on how i post here. I done no convincing whatsoever. I just stated my view and if anyone disagree , that is not my issue. I don't care.

I only wish to attract like-minded individuals to have a discussion with me. it is that plain simple.

However, what i see is that people like you come in droves to convince others that you are right and others who hold different views as you are wrong. That's say so much on such losing behaviour and now i know why PAP always win.

Let me make a point as to what i called like-minded people is:

1. Do not suffer from any forms of inferiority complex
2. respect the views and ideas of others
3. willing to boycott the election

I do not think you fit into any of these 3 points.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
add one more point: understand the math behind boycotting the election.

At least halsey02 is honest. He is boycotting because he sees no way Halimah is going to lose – so why vote? Maybe he wants to take a day trip to JB to makan and get a good massage. All power to him.

But you're being dishonest. You know that every boycotted vote is one vote more for Halimah. So boycotting the election will increase the chances of Halimah winning. That's maths ... no way you can twist it.

It's your prerogative to boycott, but don't lie and say that you're opposing PAP, when you're actually helping Halimah win.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you look at it from a different angle....any boycott is a vote of dissent of the system.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Denying pappy 1st choice candidate is lagi better middle finger

Actually we may be barking up the wrong tree.

An even more serious contentious issue is the lack of a need to replace the one and only minority MP in that GRC ward. If it was another cina MP leaving, there may be no issues but the entire essence of the GRC concept is the multi-cultural mix that the GRC promises.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you look at it from a different angle....any boycott is a vote of dissent of the system.

Yes, dissent. But who knows? The PAP isn't going to spin it that way ... they have absolute control of the media and no one will know the boycott figures.

Even in a more mature democracy like the US, tens of millions of Americans don't vote at all = 'boycott'. Political analysts simply refer to them as apathetic citizens, never 'dissenters' or 'dissidents'. So the impact of boycotting in the real world is really very limited, short of engineering something like a 70% boycott.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Actually we may be barking up the wrong tree

One issue at one time, bro. That GRC without a minority candidate is already a done deal. We'll fuck them raw and deep later :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

In the meanwhile, it's "Fuck PAP at the polls during PE2017" trending now.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least halsey02 is honest. He is boycotting because he sees no way Halimah is going to lose – so why vote? Maybe he wants to take a day trip to JB to makan and get a good massage. All power to him.

But you're being dishonest. You know that every boycotted vote is one vote more for Halimah. So boycotting the election will increase the chances of Halimah winning. That's maths ... no way you can twist it.

It's your prerogative to boycott, but don't lie and say that you're opposing PAP, when you're actually helping Halimah win.

If she is going to win, why waste time and energy to vote. That is my reason. Plain and simple. You disagree, then it is not my issue. I don't care.

You can try to vote and go all out full of anger and attitude, in the end, She wins. If that is what you want to do, go all ahead. Nobody is stopping you and i respect anybody who is trying to vote.

Yes, you can go out and reduce the vote number of Hamliah, in the end, she still wins.. Just for hurting her "face" or PAP "face"..

Sorry man. I bet Donald Trump who is always a winner will never do such a thing. That is the reason he is a billionaire and a president and you are not.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP knows that when you boycott or spoil your vote, it is not factored in the votes cast.

5 people voted and 5 boycotted because they are protesting. PAP candidate got 3 votes and non PAP candidate got 2 votes. PAP candidates wins by 60%.

State prostitute media will say also 60% win but will not say that 70% of eligible voters did not vote for the PAP candidate. Why you think the fine is only $50? Ever heard of a $50 fine for anything else. World highest deposit for GE and EP candidates. For EP it's about $43k.

The PAP knows all gullible idiots can afford to pay $50 and won't make noise but will go to coffee shop and tell their drinking buddies that they threw the $50 in the govt's face and gulped down a tiger feeling proud. His smarter friends will smile at him and then make him pay another $50 for another round.

The guy goes back happy like fuck.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I think what Terry was referring to was the second level preparation which 4 Tans EP involved.

Apologies :smile::smile::smile:
My friends were lamenting, they didn't know how to vote this time round as it's an insult to their intelligence.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP knows that when you boycott or spoil your vote, it is not factored in the votes cast.

5 people voted and 5 boycotted because they are protesting. PAP candidate got 3 votes and non PAP candidate got 2 votes. PAP candidates wins by 60%.

State prostitute media will say also 60% win but will not say that 70% of eligible voters did not vote for the PAP candidate. Why you think the fine is only $50? Ever heard of a $50 fine for anything else. World highest deposit for GE and EP candidates. For EP it's about $43k.

The PAP knows all gullible idiots can afford to pay $50 and won't make noise but will go to coffee shop and tell their drinking buddies that they threw the $50 in the govt's face and gulped down a tiger feeling proud. His smarter friends will smile at him and then make him pay another $50 for another round.

The guy goes back happy like fuck.

I think we are leaning more towards a no contest election.

However, it would be very interesting to hear the gahmen version of why they cannot allow the 2nd Chance CEO who runs a $250m business when they allow a mina who is a lawyer and only gone as far as a Director of NTUC, let alone never in NTUC's finance dept.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
100% i will.. who else????

The Govt of Singapore has break the constitutional rights of the country and people by creating rules to restrict people of races of take part of the election. It is flaw and unconstitutional.

The corruption is obvious and is done to maintain the govt's personal agenda and disregard the people.

The only right thing to do is to boycott the presidential election and sent a huge message to the PAP and the govt.
I revisited your first post. Your choice of word "The ONLY right thing to do ..." may have made us feel that you are trying to convince others.

Your stand to boycott because it is unconstitutional and flawed appeared noble on the surface. It is idealistic to think that boycotting will give a clear signal to them, that the people is aware of the tricks and are angry so that they will stop such nonsense in future. Unfortunately, it is unlikely the case.

Politics is dirty. It is about getting the results that they want. They are fully aware that most people knows the game they are playing. They will study and gauge to see how many will actually vote otherwise to register their anger, how many will vote in favor because they don't know or don't care and how many will boycott. If the percentage of the last 2 categories are high, there will be election. Boycotting besides reducing the chance of the opponent to win is also good for them mathematically when they win because it reduced the base of vote cast and make the percentage looks bigger. Boycotting will not improve the situation in the future. However, losing may because they then realize that the public is no longer so pliant and such tricks don't work anymore.

Yes, it is quite silly to vote the other guy who is equally not qualified. However, it is the better course of action in sending a clear signal.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

they said voting is irrational, emotions always win.

if there is a contested PE 2017, think the boycott / spoilt votes will get much higher than PE 2011. it would be very difficult for a non-PAP Malay candidate to consolidate the anything but PAP votes let alone an unknown and weak one.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe that forummet Seee3 pointed out - the authorities are watching carefully, if it is not in their favour, no contest like Nathan.

Both do not qualify if one follows the rules. They will allow a contest is to give Halimah legitimacy and they are confident they she will win.

I think we are leaning more towards a no contest election.

However, it would be very interesting to hear the gahmen version of why they cannot allow the 2nd Chance CEO who runs a $250m business when they allow a mina who is a lawyer and only gone as far as a Director of NTUC, let alone never in NTUC's finance dept.