• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Who's boycotting the Presidential Election?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agreed and unless come one day when we are able to witness poverty and widespread unemployment, PAP will not be toppled at the polls. Voters who are gainfully employed invariably will support the ruling party. Public sector employees generally are also beholden to vote for PAP and the government here happen to be the biggest employer. So PAP just have to ensure that unemployment rate remains low and those from the very low wage earners group continue to receive financial support through Workfare.

I once asked my wife exasperatedly what would make Sinkies wake up and vote for the opposition. She said exactly the same thing you said: when significantly large numbers of the middle class are truly suffering – widespread poverty, unemployment, indebted to the hilt. Until then, you can assume that the PAP will be returned comfortably every election.

It all boils down to three attributes peculiar to Sinkies:

1. Sinkies are largely conservative.

2. The use of CPF as an escrow account for financing our sole property and healthcare means that there's precious little left for retirement. Coupled with the lack of social safety nets and low wages and the Govt's monopoly on the economy (civil service, stat boards & GLCs), the risks of changing the status quo are perceived to be intolerably high, thus reinforcing the conservatism.

3. Ignorance – of our rights, of the requisites for good govt, of alternative modes of organizing society, of the ongoing positive transformations even in the most progressive societies like the Nordic nations ...

The above are the result of 50+ years of molly-coddling as well as the repression of fundamental rights and ham-fisted control of information by the PAP govt. The concentration of state power and finances in one man and his family facilitated this repression.

Even the so-called 'enlightened' bunch who post here regularly can't see beyond strait-jacketed tropes like having more opposition in Parliament or getting better returns on our CPF or ending the Lee dynasty. Their idea of political emancipation is plumbing for greater WP representation in Parliament, never mind that WP is as conservative as the PAP, if not even more so. Not that I have anything personal against WP – more oppo is always good in a dictatorship – but their ineffectuality must already be obvious even to their most diehard supporters.

Kiasu, kiasi, kpkb, frogs in a well. We'll never be like the Taiwanese or the South Koreans or even the Hong-Kongers. We truly deserve the govt we get.

Last edited:

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
I once asked my wife exasperatedly what would make Sinkies wake up and vote for the opposition. She said exactly the same thing you said: when significantly large numbers of the middle class are truly suffering – widespread poverty, unemployment, indebted to the hilt. Until then, you can assume that the PAP will be returned comfortably every election.

It all boils down to three attributes peculiar to Sinkies:

1. Sinkies are largely conservative.

2. The use of CPF as an escrow account for financing our sole property and healthcare means that there's precious little left for retirement. Coupled with the lack of social safety nets and low wages and the Govt's monopoly on the economy (civil service, stat boards & GLCs), the risks of changing the status quo are perceived to be intolerably high, thus reinforcing the conservatism.

3. Ignorance – of our rights, of the requisites for good govt, of alternative modes of organizing society, of the ongoing positive transformations even in the most progressive societies like the Nordic nations ...

The above are the result of 50+ years of molly-coddling as well as the repression of fundamental rights and ham-fisted control of information by the PAP govt. The concentration of state power and finances in one man and his family facilitated this repression.

Even the so-called 'enlightened' bunch who post here regularly can't see beyond strait-jacketed tropes like having more opposition in Parliament or getting better returns on our CPF or ending the Lee dynasty. Their idea of political emancipation is plumbing for greater WP representation in Parliament, never mind that WP is as conservative as the PAP, if not even more so. Not that I have anything personal against WP – more oppo is always good in a dictatorship – but their ineffectuality must already be obvious even to their most diehard supporters.

Kiasu, kiasi, kpkb, frogs in a well. We'll never be like the Taiwanese or the South Koreans or even the Hong-Kongers. We truly deserve the govt we get.

You talk a lot but it was you who said that voting is to "hurt" the face of PAP but not to win. Did you tell your wife about this strategy of yours too?

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You talk a lot but it was you who said that voting is to "hurt" the face of PAP but not to win. Did you tell your wife about this strategy of yours too?

You're putting words in my mouth.

I never said the purpose of voting is 'not to win'. I said voting increases the chances of the independent candidate winning. Boycotting increases the chances of the PAP candidate winning. Till now you've not answered my question about how boycotting can help the indie candidate win against PAP. The nomination papers for the Fields Medal are on my table awaiting your earth-shaking revelation.

Just so, in addition to being deceitful and thick-headed, you've also shown yourself to be a bare-faced liar.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal

I never said the purpose of voting is 'not to win'. I said voting increases the chances of the independent candidate winning. Boycotting increases the chances of the PAP candidate winning. Till now you've not answered my question about how boycotting can help the indie candidate win against PAP. The nomination papers for the Fields Medal are on my table awaiting your earth-shaking revelation.

Just so, in addition to being deceitful and thick-headed, you've also shown yourself to be a bare-faced liar.

Obviously the 35% was a slap in the face for the establishment. How do you think TT feels every time he shakes hands with a foreign dignitary and people are sniggering behind his back saying that 65% of the pop voted against him? ( PAP still win)

1. The PAP wants face. They will probably give up tweaking the EP and go back to the original appointed prez system. End of wayang. We all know that the EP does diddly-squat anyway, despite his 'custodial powers'.( PAP still win)
you need more than 10 characters

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by yellowarse
Obviously the 35% was a slap in the face for the establishment. How do you think TT feels every time he shakes hands with a foreign dignitary and people are sniggering behind his back saying that 65% of the pop voted against him? ( PAP still win)

1. The PAP wants face. They will probably give up tweaking the EP and go back to the original appointed prez system. End of wayang. We all know that the EP does diddly-squat anyway, despite his 'custodial powers'.( PAP still win)

How sneaky can you get? You ostensibly quoted my post but slipped in the words in red, '
PAP still win​', so as to attribute them to me. Sheez.

And didn't I say in my post below that the TT victory by a mere 0.34% meant that a victory against the PAP-endorsed candidate is a real possibility in subsequent elections if everyone can be persuaded to vote strategically?

When did I ever advocate voting 'not to win'? Liar.

TCB's near-miss in PE2011 tells you that it is not impossible to win against the PAP-endorsed candidate. You should be spending more time convincing those around you to vote strategically instead of harping ad nauseam about boycotting.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
rectomobile, since you say that LHL will always win so why bother voting, why not just have one FINAL election to change constitution to make Singapore a monarchy with LHL as king.

And with this you can also boycott the vote and then you never have to vote ever again and waste your time.

Good right?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yellowarse u are smart arse humtum this idiot well. Boycott votes can win election meh?

Stop wasting time we hv better task to do. Get the bsstard BE to apologize to the world.

Slave trades
Coolie slave trades
Opium trades

Knn. Angmoh more evil than DAP.

Must pass some reputations points around b4 give to u.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal

How sneaky can you get? You ostensibly quoted my post but slipped in the words in red, '
PAP still win​', so as to attribute them to me. Sheez.

And didn't I say in my post below that the TT victory by a mere 0.34% meant that a victory against the PAP-endorsed candidate is a real possibility in subsequent elections if everyone can be persuaded to vote strategically?

When did I ever advocate voting 'not to win'? Liar.

In your dreamworld, you perceive it as a real possibility. The red mark is just to highlight that PAP still WINS in REALITY, in case you didn't notice. It's a reminder.

In subsequent elections, PAP will tighten the screw. ( I had mentioned this before) Anyone disagree with this point? You only think of what you can do, and forget what PAP can do too. TCB is not allowed to participate as they change the rules. It's their chessboard as no people (in unity) dare to go against the way they set the rules. You talk like as though TCB is taking part in the election.

In reality, PAP wins.

sensible people deals with reality and work on it.

Smart people say:

9dbd7996cdba5464faaede183e075b63.jpg

Last edited:

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
This thread is about boycotting of election. It is not about voting to try to win and still lose. Those who are having this boycotting mindset, pls feel free to have a discussion on it.

Getting tired of clones created by the same person, just to argue his point through. I didn't know a person can have such a massive sense of inferiority complex.

Last edited:

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
LHL has done the boycotting on your behalf. You can also thank his papa. :wink:

Yes. Someone sensible is posting something. Thank you.

I guess those who are sensible speak less and hold substance

while those who speak a lot are empty vessel.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lim Chin Siong made that mistake of getting people to boycott the referendum- that mistake will not happen again, not at the next GE. Believe me? :p:p:p

I did mention that clones of the same person like to post and argue to get his point through rather than using his original nick.

Thank you very much. I don't deal with inferiority complex. This is a discussion thread, not a counselling session for the emotionally handicap.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Thank you very much. I don't deal with inferiority complex. This is a discussion thread, not a counselling session for the emotionally handicap.

I have stated before I don't use clones. Don't see the need to. If you'd excuse me, there's work to do :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This thread is about boycotting of election. It is not about voting to try to win and still lose. Those who are having this boycotting mindset, pls feel free to have a discussion on it.

Getting tired of clones created by the same person, just to argue his point through. I didn't know a person can have such a massive sense of inferiority complex.

I have already fixed on boycotting the PE & will be boycotting the next one, when the time come. But, we already know that, this is a fixed , selected President....last round, cousin Tony got the lowest majority...I voted against him...but still got him, as president.... if the 2 "wayang" Malay Candidates who submitted their nomination had gone through..& Contested the "no shame" Halimah...I would have BOYCOTTED the election.

It is clear as day that the other, 'malays' were asked to be window dressing...you see how fast mee siam mai hum..thanked them?...I know there are many Malays who are members of AMP & Mendaki are qualified to contest this PE....but, we all know, it is another "punch & judy show"...or the 7th month puppet show..

Anyway...any PE, I will boycott...

jw5

Loyal
Ok, but don't boycott the GE. :wink:

I have already fixed on boycotting the PE & will be boycotting the next one, when the time come. But, we already know that, this is a fixed , selected President....last round, cousin Tony got the lowest majority...I voted against him...but still got him, as president.... if the 2 "wayang" Malay Candidates who submitted their nomination had gone through..& Contested the "no shame" Halimah...I would have BOYCOTTED the election.

It is clear as day that the other, 'malays' were asked to be window dressing...you see how fast mee siam mai hum..thanked them?...I know there are many Malays who are members of AMP & Mendaki are qualified to contest this PE....but, we all know, it is another "punch & judy show"...or the 7th month puppet show..

Anyway...any PE, I will boycott...