• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Wanton Mee from Hill Street food court?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
虾子面 can be brought from Yu Hwa supermart. i make myself 捞面 at home. just some premium oyster sauce with a dash of cooked oil.

my son was so disappointed at HK Mak wonton mee when the dry version only have oyster sauce which i already warn him. there somthing special about HK kwailan, taste so much better than SGP version.

Thanks for info.
Shrimp roe noodles like disappeared locally. Back then easily available everywhere like in emporiums (oriental). I thot they were somehow banned.

Regarding Bro mentioned about the lousy charsiew.....I dunno why locally Wanton stalls use such Low class charsiew.
Even the famous stalls use what best can be described as red dye lean pork. I mean there are good roast meats stalls around that does good charsiew.....why cant use those? It's like they use lousy charsiew on purpose.

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gosh, this really brings back fond memories for me too!

After getting me books stamped, rushed down to that won ton mee stall for koh lok mee as well, followed by the ice kachang stall next to it! Always seemed to have bees buzzing around probably because of the coloured syrups!

Back to the present, I like Koung's Wanton Mee at 205 Sims Avenue (Lor 21A). Springy dry noodles, yummy char siew and spicy hot chili! Queue there can get ridiculous at peak hours though, that is why there is a number system!

Ah, Old National Library ... that brings back memories. My dad would park at the library, bring us to MPH across the road to browse and buy books, then back to the small hawker centre on the library grounds where we'd have our ... won ton mee! We always ordered kon loh mee (dry) and he'd have lots of green chilly to go with it.

Agree that our local version has its unique flavour; at any rate the taste is a lot stronger than the HK version. Goes with the geography and culture in this part of the world. My partiality to the HK version came later after a trip to HK, where I realized that in Canto cooking less is more – and blander sauces allow you to savour the various fresh ingredients in the preparation.

Interesting you brought up kon loh mee. Back in the '60s & '70s some stalls here (and in KL) actually used shrimp paste noodles for their koh loh mee, similar to the ones in HK. That explains the difference then - slightly drier, crispier. But I don't see them anymore nowadays.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's wonton lah, not wanton. and kon lo meen, not koh loh mee. cheebye sinkies, jiu hu kias and sarawakians, bastardize everything from cina.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kolo mee is from Sarawak. It's the bastardisation of the sound of kon lo "干捞".
One of the best I ate is at Bedok Central Blk 218 Kopitiam.

how cum sarawak still not independent yet? must break away from mudlaysia if they can create their own cina language. i'm ok with pontian wonton mee, especially deep fried wontons. much better than sinkie version.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for info.
Shrimp roe noodles like disappeared locally. Back then easily available everywhere like in emporiums (oriental). I thot they were somehow banned.

Regarding Bro mentioned about the lousy charsiew.....I dunno why locally Wanton stalls use such Low class charsiew.
Even the famous stalls use what best can be described as red dye lean pork. I mean there are good roast meats stalls around that does good charsiew.....why cant use those? It's like they use lousy charsiew on purpose.

sg hawker char siew too dry and thinly cut. hk style has thicker cuts and more juicy. like this.

IMG_0133.JPG

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sg hawker char siew too dry and thinly cut. hk style has thicker cuts and more juicy. like this.

[ATTATTACH]

Sg does have good charsiew with all the Hongkie chefs setting up shops here.
Beside hk style local ones usually with Malaysian chefs also roast a mean charsiew of standard.
One not so famous one at Tanjong Katong corner Coffeeshop Nan Xiang is one such stall. Popular with the east side crowd.
Stall also sell not so common soft bones and pork ribs.
Always with a queue. Kay Lee just set up shop a few shophouse away but seems losing out to the incumbent

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sg does have good charsiew with all the Hongkie chefs setting up shops here.
Beside hk style local ones usually with Malaysian chefs also roast a mean charsiew of standard.
One not so famous one at Tanjong Katong corner Coffeeshop Nan Xiang is one such stall. Popular with the east side crowd.
Stall also sell not so common soft bones and pork ribs.
Always with a queue. Kay Lee just set up shop a few shophouse away but seems losing out to the incumbent

me no more keen on kl char siew as they use fatty portions to caramelize until burnt, succulent and moist. very shiok in younger days but now a health scare. this one in sg is ok. lean and well sugared and caramelized on the outside. and in sinkie style always have to add dark sauce.

IMG_0130.JPG

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I only had that one bowl of noodles with the dumpling. It is really a small portion :(
More of a snack then a meal.

if you're into spicy wonton (hong yu chao shou 紅油抄手) you have to make the trip to golden wok in nj and enjoy the famous appetizer east of the u.s. sometimes i would fly direct into newark on a red eye just to sample this "snack" before catching the flight back in the afternoon. but we already know. nothing will sextisfy you. this no good that no good. this too small, that too big. typical sinkie kpkb about everything.

http://www.goldenwoknj.com/photo.asp

IMG_0136.JPG

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how cum sarawak still not independent yet? must break away from mudlaysia if they can create their own cina language. i'm ok with pontian wonton mee, especially deep fried wontons. much better than sinkie version.

It was agreement with the British Raj...that North Borneo ( Sabah) & Sarawak was to join Malaysia...before that the two was the colony of Raja Brooke...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's wonton lah, not wanton. and kon lo meen, not koh loh mee. cheebye sinkies, jiu hu kias and sarawakians, bastardize everything from cina.

Yes, the correct spelling is wonton...not wanton or ...koh loh mee is the local way of calling kon lo mien...as we call it bak chor mee here...for example, a long time back I discovered in KL when ordering food off the streets...I wanted "mee tai mak" dry, I told the street vendor...he gave me a puzzled look...I pointed it to him...he said " low shi zhai mien"...that is how they call it there...I ask for a "ketchup" in a mamak eatery..he brought me " kelicap"..I ask how to ask for tomato sauce..he said "tomato sauce"..oh well!..then, "roti prata"..puzzled look.." roti channai"....my point is...local variations of the same thing in different places...we cannot just say, this is right or wrong..of course..wonton is spelt wonton...

The Wanton noodle we have here...are the local variation maybe brought in by the Hokkien or the Teochew settlers?....it is usually with char siew, wonton, vegs, pork lard...dry with either tomato sauce or chilli sauce...the dark soy sauce one, is common throughout Malaysia.

The clear soup, with amply filled wonton is the Cantonese version..Cantonese cuisine

"In Cantonese cuisine, shrimp filled wonton within minced pork is most commonly served with thin noodles to make wonton noodles. It may also be consumed with red vinegar. The soup is made from boiling shrimp shells, pork bones and dried flounder to give it a distinct taste. Hong Kong wontons were introduced to the area after World War II as street food and later indoor eateries. Wonton is served in variety of sizes with smallest being two wonton and noodles called Sai Yung." from wikipedia

The soup usually come sprinkled with thinly slices chives on top & served with vinegar soaked green chillies...

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, the correct spelling is wonton...not wanton or ...koh loh mee is the local way of calling kon lo mien...as we call it bak chor mee here...for example, a long time back I discovered in KL when ordering food off the streets...I wanted "mee tai mak" dry, I told the street vendor...he gave me a puzzled look...I pointed it to him...he said " low shi zhai mien"...that is how they call it there...I ask for a "ketchup" in a mamak eatery..he brought me " kelicap"..I ask how to ask for tomato sauce..he said "tomato sauce"..oh well!..then, "roti prata"..puzzled look.." roti channai"....my point is...local variations of the same thing in different places...we cannot just say, this is right or wrong..of course..wonton is spelt wonton...

there are variations too with viet teochews. they are well known with their chiu chao rice and egg noodles beside pho. they also have mee pok ta but it's called saigon mi (lon) dac biet (saigon special yellow noodle). you have to order as "fat (or flat) yellow noodle with soup on the side." very complicated when teochew is lost in translation. for kway teow soup, you have to order "hu tieu (lon)" or "fat (or flat) lice noodle with soup." for kway teow and mee pok combo (yes, pho tau bay can customize that for you) you have to say "hu tieu mi (lon)" or "fat lice noodle and fat yellow noodle with soup on the side." if you say "kway teow" or "mee pok" they will stare at you and may chop you up after shrieking "wtf?!" same in china, taiwan, hk, must say "fun" instead of kway teow. sinkie chinks use the lowest of the low coolie codewords from a bygone era.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there are variations too with viet teochews. they are well known with their chiu chao rice and egg noodles beside pho. they also have mee pok ta but it's called saigon mi (lon) dac biet (saigon special yellow noodle). you have to order as "fat (or flat) yellow noodle with soup on the side." very complicated when teochew is lost in translation. for kway teow soup, you have to order "hu tieu (lon)" or "fat (or flat) lice noodle with soup." for kway teow and mee pok combo (yes, pho tau bay can customize that for you) you have to say "hu tieu mi (lon)" or "fat lice noodle and fat yellow noodle with soup on the side." if you say "kway teow" or "mee pok" they will stare at you and may chop you up after shrieking "wtf?!" same in china, taiwan, hk, must say "fun" instead of kway teow. sinkie chinks use the lowest of the low coolie codewords from a bygone era.

In HK there are a lot of 'fun' ( noodle), even though I read Chinese, many of the descriptions are of a local nature...so, I ask for menu with pictures if they have or ask what is that I am ordering. The same goes in Taiwan, no pic...what I ordered was not what I had read in Chinese...somehow, the brain translation, is faulty...as I had said description is local....so, I ended up with a huge bowl of noodle ( HUGE), the noodle was not udon but the Japanese kind, comes with a fried sunny side egg, plus a few strand of "swimming pork slices"...the broth tasted kind of weird...not I had expected in my mind...my point is, local variation of food...even you can read the language, what you think, is not what you get.

So, sometimes, we can't argue over the description in English....to each his own...& many a times, like you have said..." lost in translation"...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
It was agreement with the British Raj...that North Borneo ( Sabah) & Sarawak was to join Malaysia...before that the two was the colony of Raja Brooke...

Now, imagine east Malaysia being fully developed... altogether now!!! Huat ah!!!

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it 老鼠粉. Hakka name for it. Since u older than me, u shd have seen the original version of it. It do look like white version of rat poo. I only eat it at msia as spore version rice content very low. Mixed with tapioca powder.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
it 老鼠粉. Hakka name for it. Since u older than me, u shd have seen the original version of it. It do look like white version of rat poo. I only eat it at msia as spore version rice content very low. Mixed with tapioca powder.

For good measure, this is Thai mee-tai-bak 老鼠粉 (photos taken about 10 days ago)

yx7d5PX.jpg

Whenever I'm in Bangkok I will visit this stall to have mee-tai-bak twice a week cos I like it and its close to my factory.

In Singapore we have Yong Tau Fu strangely in Thailand there is this thing known as Yen Tau Fu, its really normal noodle (dry or wet) with red fermented bean curd or 紅腐乳 so it looks like this:

Noodle soup
T7MGyED.jpg

Dry version 老鼠粉

nlx2e74.jpg

Mix it
LG3ah9k.jpg

91ewmaF.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when I was very young I used to eat the wanton from Koek Rd. Anyone else remember eating there :smile:. It was on the lane next to the Orchard Road wet market? That area was a gourmets paradise. Nearby they were selling pisang goreng, those round things with kachang hijau, ... There was also a store selling pau, siong mai, ... etc.

When they demolished the market & surrounding area the wanton stall moved to the Cuppage food court which was built nearby, behind the old Cold Storage.

I remember that back then the dry wanton was served with char Siew AND minced chicken. I notice that it is nowadays rare to have chicken included with char Siew. I suspect that has become too expensive to include the chicken. I remember that the price of wanton noodles with char Siew, minced chicken and dumpling cost only 50 cents :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, wonder who can help clarify. In the old days, I see the Koh Loh Mee seller like the wanton bee seller having their bowl size portion of noodles all arranged and ready for customers. The Koh Loh Mee seller how ever tend to sprinkle flour on the noodles before tossing in the net scoop and drenching it in hot water. Also see lots of flour on the wooden preparation board in Koh Loh Mee than wanton mee. Is there a reason for it?