• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Wanton Mee from Hill Street food court?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm trying to locate the wanton Mee store that used to be located at the Hill Street food court. The stall was located just next to the agar/sour plum drink stall & the famous char kwey stall.

I know that the char kwey Teow moved to Bedok. I've tried to Google the wanton stall & Hill Street and the info I get info about a stall in Hong Lim Food Court. I've visited the stall in Hong Lim but don't see the same people who used to run the stall at Hill Street.

The Hill Street stall was run by a couple who must be now in their 50's or older. The Wife had a burn scar on her cheek that was very obvious.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm trying to locate the wanton Mee store that used to be located at the Hill Street food court. The stall was located just next to the agar/sour plum drink stall & the famous char kwey stall.

I know that the char kwey Teow moved to Bedok. I've tried to Google the wanton stall & Hill Street and the info I get info about a stall in Hong Lim Food Court. I've visited the stall in Hong Lim but don't see the same people who used to run the stall at Hill Street.

The Hill Street stall was run by a couple who must be now in their 50's or older. The Wife had a burn scar on her cheek that was very obvious.

I think we have to move on trying to locate the old food stalls, we once ate & liked when we were young or younger. Even we can find back the same original people cooking the food, where they are, the quality is never the same anymore. Many, of the original people, have either MOVED ON ( as in gone), moved on ( or as in retired), & some, their children, siblings or relatives, carry on the name of the stall...but the preparation & touch, & taste is not there.

For example, the 'snow skin' can we call it that way?, we call it "chwee chia pau", original stall at Tiong Bahru Market, the old man I use to eat from him for years till he "moved on". Now, his son, continued the business at Alexandra Village Food Centre, the "bang kwan" & the " black bean sweet filled" ones....just doesn't have the taste & consistency of his dad.

So, we have to move on...forget about locating food stalls we once ate, a long time ago....with high rental & 'daylight robberies' by the landlords etc...the taste, consistency, the quality & quantity is never the same...we should leave it as a memory & move on.:rolleyes:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think we have to move on trying to locate the old food stalls, we once ate & liked when we were young or younger. Even we can find back the same original people cooking the food, where they are, the quality is never the same anymore. Many, of the original people, have either MOVED ON ( as in gone), moved on ( or as in retired), & some, their children, siblings or relatives, carry on the name of the stall...but the preparation & touch, & taste is not there.

For example, the 'snow skin' can we call it that way?, we call it "chwee chia pau", original stall at Tiong Bahru Market, the old man I use to eat from him for years till he "moved on". Now, his son, continued the business at Alexandra Village Food Centre, the "bang kwan" & the " black bean sweet filled" ones....just doesn't have the taste & consistency of his dad.

So, we have to move on...forget about locating food stalls we once ate, a long time ago....with high rental & 'daylight robberies' by the landlords etc...the taste, consistency, the quality & quantity is never the same...we should leave it as a memory & move on.:rolleyes:

found a chwee jia pau (crystal dumpling) stall in bedok but not so good. ingredients not like the original. in sf dim sum joints they call it chew chow fun cock. cannot pronounce it in front of angmo charbor. they would think this guy chi sin. same thing when ordering 3 kinds of chicken (sum yong gai).

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
found a chwee jia pau (crystal dumpling) stall in bedok but not so good. ingredients not like the original. in sf dim sum joints they call it chew chow fun cock. cannot pronounce it in front of angmo charbor. they would think this guy chi sin. same thing when ordering 3 kinds of chicken (sum yong gai).

no lah!..."chew chou fan kok"....much more correctly pronounced...yours is more the western..."Chew Chow, FUN COCK"...which roughly translated as , Teochew FUN COCK...

The old Tiong Bahru one is still one of the best...once in the past, I place an order by phone ( yes, old man does phone in service) only back then, no "food panda", "foodaroo"..or "UBER EAT" etc... I ordered all old man supply for the day for an office party...I have to go there to collect & he closed for the day...his stuff was that good, that you go there he is closed, not that he is not working or.... HE SOLD OUT HIS FOOD..like I had said, that is only a memory we invoke...shouldn't waste time...checking up his son's stall ...

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Actually the wanton Mee at Hong Lim is pretty good. If I'm in the area I would drop by & eat there. The price is higher but the portions are large & you have a good choice on the variations. They even thank you for your business :smile:. Unlike some stalls which have unhappy owners who take their customers for granted.

The reason I'm asking is that it may be the last chance to find out what happened to this stall?
Many of us are dying off or forgetting the past. For me it is not just about the food but more about re-connecting with the past:o.

The wanton Mee that they sold had some standard which I'm certain that the couple could still sell survive today. Just look at the famous char kwey Teow stall, they have moved to Bedok & is being run by a new generation, but is still popular.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Feel sad for these so called foodies. Willing to travel far for food and resort to Googling and hunting down the old stalls. haha

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
the wantan mee at old marina square open food court was great….dont know where they have gone

also the techew minced pork and mushroom noodles at old paradis centre basement….trying to find it to no avail.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually the wanton Mee at Hong Lim is pretty good. If I'm in the area I would drop by & eat there. The price is higher but the portions are large & you have a good choice on the variations. They even thank you for your business :smile:. Unlike some stalls which have unhappy owners who take their customers for granted.

The reason I'm asking is that it may be the last chance to find out what happened to this stall?
Many of us are dying off or forgetting the past. For me it is not just about the food but more about re-connecting with the past:o.

The wanton Mee that they sold had some standard which I'm certain that the couple could still sell survive today. Just look at the famous char kwey Teow stall, they have moved to Bedok & is being run by a new generation, but is still popular.

I have eaten at the wanton mee stall at Hong Lim Complex...were they from the stall along was it Upper Nankin Street ( now defunct) at the same spot, where hong lim complex is today? when I was young I have eaten there.

The stall at hong lim...is so-so..guess, to each his or her own..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a year where instead of going overseas for holidays, I took out couple of food guides and mapped out the food journey across Singapore for 2 weeks. Everyone had a ball of time. There are some things in life that requires the mountain to come to Mohd.

Feel sad for these so called foodies. Willing to travel far for food and resort to Googling and hunting down the old stalls. haha

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are people wasting time on ketchup based sinkie wanton noodle? The best dumpling noodle in town is Mak's at Centerpoint. Authentic hongkie taste.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have eaten at the wanton mee stall at Hong Lim Complex...were they from the stall along was it Upper Nankin Street ( now defunct) at the same spot, where hong lim complex is today? when I was young I have eaten there.

The stall at hong lim...is so-so..guess, to each his or her own..

I find the food there ok lah. I'm not fussy & go for convenience & eat at places which are nearby.

However nowadays I have to avoid hawker fare because of the high carbohydrates, msg, cheap oils, ... used by the Hawkers. I am now more sensitive because I've been eating healthy and can differentiate the problems I can get eating some hawker food e.g. drowsy, leaving bad taste in mouth, feeling thirsty, upset stomach,...etc

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There are plenty of new Hawkers who are terrible cooks out there:o

I'm more fussy & prefer the "old" businesses which I know about & that is why I am trying to discover if they are still around?

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm more fussy & prefer the "old" businesses which I know about & that is why I am trying to discover if they are still around?

have to agreed with you. The worst cook are those in air con food court.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

aiyah. you komplain that hawker food is unhealthy yet the next moment you claim you're fussy and prefer the old hawkers. which is which? those old hawker food are lagi unhealthy - everything cooked with lard, eggs sat near heat for too long, noodles not refrigerated and collecting mold and bacteria, vege unwashed, dishes washed in dirty water, etc. at least in air conned food court, there's health inspection, proper refrigeration, food warmers, vege cooking oil instead of lard, etc. you can't have your cake and eat it too, and still want to kpkb about missing your old (freaking unhealthy and unhygienic) old hawker fare. your friends and family must be miserable dealing with you.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are people wasting time on ketchup based sinkie wanton noodle? The best dumpling noodle in town is Mak's at Centerpoint. Authentic hongkie taste.

Yes sinkie version and Malaysian version for that matter are the bastardized versions.
Real wanton noodles (from hk and maybe GZ) is very different.
I dunno where to begin but For one there's hardly a dry version and never will you see char Siew. And for the dry version if served there is never added ketchup, Chilli, dark sauce or oyster sauce etc.....just a dash of light soy sauce.
So better dun call sg fake wanton mee as wanton mee....I have more respect for the sarawakians who call their own version kolo mee instead of wanton mee

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
aiyah. you komplain that hawker food is unhealthy yet the next moment you claim you're fussy and prefer the old hawkers. which is which? those old hawker food are lagi unhealthy - everything cooked with lard, eggs sat near heat for too long, noodles not refrigerated and collecting mold and bacteria, vege unwashed, dishes washed in dirty water, etc. at least in air conned food court, there's health inspection, proper refrigeration, food warmers, vege cooking oil instead of lard, etc. you can't have your cake and eat it too, and still want to kpkb about missing your old (freaking unhealthy and unhygienic) old hawker fare. your friends and family must be miserable dealing with you.

I'm from the older generation when things were simpler & more primitive.

I remember when Beach Road was where you went for satay. Back then it was not called the satay club:smile: There was no power in those days & Hawkers used oil lamps & charcoal. Same, same with places like the car park at Orchard Road. I don't remember ever getting food poisoning at these places.

My concern is not with hygiene but more to do with health. The fact is I have type 2 diabetes & I have to reduce my carb intake & that is why I only eat hawker food sparingly. Everyone Gets old & they will all have to watch their diet or suffer health problems.

I really think that the fast food you find at MacD, KFC,..... are more dangerous because of the sugar, msg, salt, hydrogenated cooking oils, ...

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes sinkie version and Malaysian version for that matter are the bastardized versions.
Real wanton noodles (from hk and maybe GZ) is very different.
I dunno where to begin but For one there's hardly a dry version and never will you see char Siew. And for the dry version if served there is never added ketchup, Chilli, dark sauce or oyster sauce etc.....just a dash of light soy sauce.
So better dun call sg fake wanton mee as wanton mee....I have more respect for the sarawakians who call their own version kolo mee instead of wanton mee

The hk version noodle is crunchier but some can't stand the alkaline smell. in the clear broth you can taste the dried scallops and the hint of dried orange peel. And the wanton they have is as big as the shuigao here.

Fuck i'm so hungry now :(

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The hk version noodle is crunchier but some can't stand the alkaline smell. in the clear broth you can taste the dried scallops and the hint of dried orange peel. And the wanton they have is as big as the shuigao here.

Fuck i'm so hungry now :(

When I was in HK a colleague took me to a famous restaurant which served wanton. Ehh .. can't remember the name of the restaurant :smile:

What I remember was that the portions was small. So I can't recall if the food was good or not. Just remember that the portion was small:biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm from the older generation when things were simpler & more primitive.

I remember when Beach Road was where you went for satay. Back then it was not called the satay club:smile: There was no power in those days & Hawkers used oil lamps & charcoal. Same, same with places like the car park at Orchard Road. I don't remember ever getting food poisoning at these places.

My concern is not with hygiene but more to do with health. The fact is I have type 2 diabetes & I have to reduce my carb intake & that is why I only eat hawker food sparingly. Everyone Gets old & they will all have to watch their diet or suffer health problems.

I really think that the fast food you find at MacD, KFC,..... are more dangerous because of the sugar, msg, salt, hydrogenated cooking oils, ...

in those days we ate all kinds of "dirty" food yet our digestive system got stronger. it's due to build up of immunity. nowadays everything is clean and spotless in sg youths get sick easily. hygiene is related to health. cannot separate them. you want healthy food they don't always sextisfy your taste buds which are spoilt by filthy food of the past. don't need to bring up macd, fkc, fast food to compare. not referring to those. there are plenty of hawker food these days that are healthier than those during the 50-door bucket truck days. still enjoy my yong tau fu (non fried stuff) and vege economy lice at 2 of my favorite stalls in tampines. everytime i return from sg, my doc gives me an excellent report on my health. don't diss your cuntry. you enjoy your life there but always kpkb over tiny things.