• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Singaporean creates history in SEA Games - well done, please drop by Singapore

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Born in Beijing
2. Stays in Beijing
3. Goes to school in Beijing
4. Trains in Beijing
5. Coached in Beijing
6. Coach from Beijing
7. Speak with American accent

Drum roll - and She wins Gold for Singapore.

Note how the state press has covered this across the various media outlet.

http://www.todayonline.com/sports/sea-games-singapores-yu-shuran-wins-first-ever-winter-sports-gold
SEA Games: Singapore's Yu Shuran creates history with ice-skating triumph

BY
LOW LIN FHOONG IN KUALA LUMPUR
[email protected]ISHED: 4:48 PM, AUGUST 27, 2017UPDATED: 7:23 AM, AUGUST 28, 2017
KUALA LUMPUR — Figure skater Yu Shuran looked puzzled as disco music filled the Malaysia National Ice Skating Stadium (Myniss) on Sunday (Aug 27). Seconds later, back ramrod straight, she steeled herself as strains of Lana Del Rey’s “Young and beautiful” – the correct song for her free skating routine – started up.

Minor distraction out of the way, the Singaporean figure skater finally got her gold medal campaign underway at the Kuala Lumpur SEA Games.

Ranked first after the short programme on Saturday with her score of 53.28, the Beijing-based skater was clearly the one to beat among the nine-strong field.

After all, Shuran, 17, had finished sixth at the Asian Winter Games in Sapporo earlier this year, before becoming the first Singaporean to qualify for the World Figure Skating Championships in March.

Out to add a first SEA Games gold to her resume, Shuran did not disappoint some 1,000 spectators who turned up to witness the sport’s debut at the regional Games.

Skating to Lana Del Rey’s slow tune first before turning on the heat with “Crazy in love” from the Great Gatsby movie soundtrack, she glided and spun her way into the judges’ hearts, scoring 82.24.

Sitting with coach Gao Song while waiting for her scores, a nervy Shuran could only manage a smile as the scores came on, with her total of 135.52 clinching both Singapore’s and the SEA Games’ first winter sports gold.

Teammate Chloe Ing made it a 1-2 finish, scoring 82.93 – the highest in the free skating segment – for a total of 128.61 to clinch the silver.

The Philippines’ Alisson Krystle Perticheto won the bronze in 113.40.

While she had her game face on throughout the music mix-up and routine, it was a different scene backstage. Said Shuran who was the last in her group to skate after her victory: “I didn’t watch them (Perticheto and Ing). No, I never watch (other skaters). I always want to focus on myself.

“I don’t want any outside factors affecting me, especially since I tend to psyche myself out easily so I try to avoid all noise. When Alisson’s scores were being announced, I covered my ears.”

Despite her win, Shuran was not happy with her routine: “I’m really happy with my rank and the result, that’s what I came here to do.

“But I’m pretty disappointed with my free skate today, I popped two jumps and popping (doing two jumps instead of three) is probably my worst habit. It probably affected my score so there’s a lot to improve on my free skate and short programme.”

Coach Gao Song is hoping for his charge to qualify for the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics next February. If she succeeds, Shuran, who trains with Gao at a Beijing skating club run by world champion and 2010 Olympic silver medalists skaters Pang Qing and Tong Jian, will be the first Singaporean to compete at the Winter Olympics.

“She can still qualify for the 2018 Olympics…she needs to be ranked in the top six at the qualification event in Germany,” said Gao.

Meanwhile, despite losing out on the gold, Ing was happy to clinch a one-two finish for Singapore. “Yesterday in the short programme, I was a little disappointed with myself so today I wanted to skate my best,” said the Canada-based teen.

“I’m very happy to win a silver…being able to medal means a lot to me. Figure skating is not as prominent here and we came and showed that we (Singapore) have skaters and finished 1-2 here at the SEA Games. This is the first stop to bringing figure skating to Singapore and South-east Asia.”

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I saw a large picture of her in the front of the Strait Times. Didn't buy a copy of the ST because suspect it would just be just another propaganda piece.

Schooling might a Sporean & an Olympic gold winner but it has nothing to do with being a Singaporean.

So what is the real story with this girl:confused:
Is she a PRC Chinese with a Spore passport of convenience?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
1. Born in Beijing
2. Stays in Beijing
3. Goes to school in Beijing
4. Trains in Beijing
5. Coached in Beijing
6. Coach from Beijing
7. Speak with American accent

You can say what you like. Even with such background if Lee Hsien Loong say she is a Malay she will be a Malay.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now certain elite familees would demand more skating rings for their short fat arse daughters to become Sinkie Kim Yu Nas.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No arguments there - when we can tell the difference between Indian and Malay, throwing aside what the NRIC says and the Malay community keeping quiet about their own race says how power is concentrated to one man and his wife.

You can say what you like. Even with such background if Lee Hsien Loong say she is a Malay she will be a Malay.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sports in Singapore compared to the glory days of the past century is now the arena of the rich. Look at the disabled paralympians that struck medals and got the bonus plus a place in our Hall of Fame. All of them have come from rich families and only they can afford to pay rather various tests and coaches to meet criteria for entry as each field has different category of disability rating. The assessments are expensive. The state press has not stated once the family background of any of these paralympians except for Laurentia Tan because hers was the first case highlighted during the London Olympics.

We now have figure skater whose family migrated to Canada but she will not get a place in the Canadian National Team so she represents Singapore while her whole life is in Canada.

When Ng See Miang daughter took up sailing, new Sailing centre built, all the facilities done up, overseas training trips arranged etc.All sailors benefitted from it.

The only avenue left for ordinary Singaporeans is track and field where it is a bit more meritocratic.

Thats life.

Now certain elite familees would demand more skating rings for their short fat arse daughters to become Sinkie Kim Yu Nas.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The only avenue left for ordinary Singaporeans is track and field where it is a bit more meritocratic.

Thats life.

Bro,
second that... take a look at the swimming fraternity.... take a look at their socio-economic status... they are mainly from the privileged lot.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mats can swim, every single one of them. Its Indians that hardly know how to swim. Mats down go to swimming pool, they go to the sea to learn when they are young. See their families and their tents every weekend at Changi. They are closer to the sea than any other race in Singapore.

It's a fact mats can't swim. Just like the black niggers can't swim.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a fact mats can't swim. Just like the black niggers can't swim.

My swimming coach in primary school was a Mat. Good coach, good swimmer. In the '70s and '80s most of the lifeguards at our public pools were Mats. They are also great seamen and boatmen.

It's the Indians who can't swim. Like Africans, they have the highest bone density in the world, affecting buoyancy. The best black swimmers like Anthony Nesty and Cullen Jones specialize in sprints where speed & power (like in athletics sprints) matter more than buoyancy. (Blacks and Indians also least prone to osteoporosis.)

As to why we don't have Mat champion swimmers, the answer is simple. Which Mat goes to a school with a swimming pool? Or live in a condo with a pool? Which Mat is a member of a swimming club from pre-school on? Which Mat has a private swim coach (in addition to the school coach) to guide him in his formative years to elite status?

Like playing the piano or tennis, you have to start young if you want to groom champions. The root of racial inequity in representation for some of the sports in Singapore is socio-economic, rather than talent. Americans once said blacks couldn't play baseball (not good at handling equipment), and Hank Aaron came along. Said blacks couldn't play tennis, and there was Arthur Ashe. Said blacks couldn't play golf cos their backsides stick out, and we have Tiger Woods.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My swimming coach in primary school was a Mat. Good coach, good swimmer. In the '70s and '80s most of the lifeguards at our public pools were Mats. They are also great seamen and boatmen.

As to why we don't have Mat champion swimmers, the answer is simple. Which Mat goes to a school with a swimming pool? Or live in a condo with a pool? Which Mat is a member of a swimming club from pre-school on? Which Mat has a private swim coach (in addition to the school coach) to guide him in his formative years to elite status?

my 2nd floor neighbour who is a mat is also a swimming coach.:biggrin:

the days of no money malays already over. While many malays still poor families range, there a rising high income malays, especially those work in the civil sectors. Just see the amount and brands of cars that park illegally near the mosque during friday prayers. 20 years ago, no many cars, mostly motorbikes, vans, trucks even trailer heads mount curb during friday prayers. Now, mostly are car owners, and it not only grab and uber drivers, there plently of private conti cars park at the side of the road.

just last sunday, i happen to be waiting for public bus near a school. A bunch of rowdy malayu speaking kids in their sweaty football gears walked into the bus stop, then 3 kantang speaking malay kids also enter the bus stop. Both groups must have been playing football together only moments ago yet both groups ignore each others. The kantang speaking malay kids acted very snobbishly, not a word in malayu from them. The other 5 malayu only look in resentment, later bus came, kantang speaking took the upper deck while the malayu sat with uncle me at the lower deck. (4 stops from interchange)

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Foreigners who cannot make the cut but still want to compete can do it under sinkapore flag. This is in line with our new slogan "Passion made Possible"

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal

..LOL..yes this i have to agree..becoz come nomination day..there will be either 3 or 1eligble candidate..will not be 2..it will be up to how pappy prata the whole scenerio..i guess

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the days of no money malays already over. While many malays still poor families range, there a rising high income malays, especially those work in the civil sectors. Just see the amount and brands of cars that park illegally near the mosque during friday prayers. 20 years ago, no many cars, mostly motorbikes, vans, trucks even trailer heads mount curb during friday prayers. Now, mostly are car owners, and it not only grab and uber drivers, there plently of private conti cars park at the side of the road.

just last sunday, i happen to be waiting for public bus near a school. A bunch of rowdy malayu speaking kids in their sweaty football gears walked into the bus stop, then 3 kantang speaking malay kids also enter the bus stop. Both groups must have been playing football together only moments ago yet both groups ignore each others. The kantang speaking malay kids acted very snobbishly, not a word in malayu from them. The other 5 malayu only look in resentment, later bus came, kantang speaking took the upper deck while the malayu sat with uncle me at the lower deck. (4 stops from interchange)

Yes I concur.
While I see many mats inside prison.
My condo also got quite a number of mat residents...the hi so types.
And confirm they aren't drug traffickers.
So yes mats also progressing

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. I spoke 2 Malay families who run their own businesses and they told me the trend within their community. There basically 3 groups, people made good running food stalls, civil servants which you already pointed out and those running SMEs. They also said that after O levels, they send their kids to OZ and the U.K. for matriculation and then university entry. Their kids do work to pay tuition fees and expenses. They also confided that it's hard to compete in Singapore.

I also noticed some years back that their parents deliberately converse in good English with their kids to raise standards.

Good for them.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes there are many who made good running food stalls.
The new trend now are those private kitchens. Setups by young mats doing new halal dishes.... ie halal jap food.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

We now have figure skater whose family migrated to Canada but she will not get a place in the Canadian National Team so she represents Singapore while her whole life is in Canada.

which figure skater is that Scroobal?

I know there is a speed skater from Leduc, Alberta.