• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious The PISA Fallacy...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Interesting to see this coming from DGE... we don't need a pliant nation.

Before over 1500 delegates, Director General of the Ministry of Education, Mr Wong Siew Hoong, projected graphs depicting Singapore’s stellar PISA results. He then juxtaposed these to OECD data on student wellbeing, and also of innovation in the economy, revealing Singapore in the lowest quartile. His conclusion was stark: “we’ve been winning the wrong race”.

source: https://au.educationhq.com/news/41377/the-pisa-fallacy-in-singapore-insights-from-the-nie/#

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wong S H is very interesting guy - calm, collected, does not speak much and does not come across as aloof as he mixes easily with everyone. Does not even bang his own drums yet he has promoted from teacher all the way to DG. Even when he was a teacher in RI, he was already thought to be of DG material. He also calls a spade a spade without ruffling feathers. Really a nice guy.

That statement by him that we are winning the wrong race shows that he have Ministers in MOE who have no idea what is going on. Anyone else would have couched in vague terms.

Before over 1500 delegates, Director General of the Ministry of Education, Mr Wong Siew Hoong, projected graphs depicting Singapore’s stellar PISA results. He then juxtaposed these to OECD data on student wellbeing, and also of innovation in the economy, revealing Singapore in the lowest quartile. His conclusion was stark: “we’ve been winning the wrong race”.

source: https://au.educationhq.com/news/41377/the-pisa-fallacy-in-singapore-insights-from-the-nie/#

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From his days as NPCC cadet inspector in RI (which time he credits as his critical formative years) to being a teacher and principal of his alma mater, he has always been guided by his convictions. Quiet, understated, with a no-nonsense approach to solving problems, yet possessing the courage to speak up when he needed to and the gumption to execute his vision. A far cry from your typical sycophantic civil servant seeking the fast track, or self-promoting loudmouths promising more they can deliver, or dead wood fuddy-duddies marking time till they retire.

And if you knew him personally, you'd find a man with no airs with his feet planted firmly on the ground. A man of virtue. There's hope yet for our education system with enlightened souls like him in MOE. The question remains as to how much he can change the system from within in our rigid hierarchical system where policy initiatives are dictated top-down by clueless ministers, and where education is merely seen as a means to churn out cogs in the economic machinery.

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dunno man….I mean, how interesting can a guy called wong siew hong be?

Still waters run deep; empty vessels make the most noise. These idioms still ring true today. I've seen enough jokers in the civil service to tell you that this guy's the real thing.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is for show.
This is for show.

Ng Chee Meng is new and he wants to show that he got fresh idea and he wants to win people heart.
However, this is for show and lip service only.

Will he dismantle PSLE? will he dismantle GEP?
THE answer is no.
This is just lip service

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still waters run deep; empty vessels make the most noise. These idioms still ring true today. I've seen enough jokers in the civil service to tell you that this guy's the real thing.

being the real thing isn't the same as being interesting.

i haven't met a single interesting singo except 3 or 4 in my lifetime….they are all as boring as rocks.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i haven't met a single interesting singo except 3 or 4 in my lifetime….they are all as boring as rocks.

You'd be surprised. There are extremely interesting Singaporeans, if you only knew where to look. Clue: they're usually not found along the corridors of power or in the 9 to 5 drudgery that traps most kiasu Sinkies. These folks usually take the path less trodden, have seen much of the world and lived richer lives than your average frog-in-the-well Sinkie.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
You'd be surprised. There are extremely interesting Singaporeans, if you only knew where to look. Clue: they're usually not found along the corridors of power or in the 9 to 5 drudgery that traps most kiasu Sinkies. These folks usually take the path less trodden, have seen much of the world and lived richer lives than your average frog-in-the-well Sinkie.

yawn...at least we have established that you're not one of them

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
zhihau said:

How dare you publish fake news to mislead the sinkies here? This behaviour is unbecoming of a sammyboy moderator. Please do the responsible thing and punish yourself. Sign up for 100 hours of grassroots volunteer service at your nearest RC location please!
SINGAPORE -The Education Ministry (MOE) has decried as "fake news" a series of statements purportedly made by its director-general of education that attributed Singapore's educational success to "standardised test drilling and a culture of compliance".

On Monday (Aug 28), an article in the August edition of an Australian magazine, Australian Teacher Magazine, had made the rounds online.

It reproduced comments that MOE's director-general of education Wong Siew Hoong had purportedly made at the National Institute of Education's Redesigning Pedagogy conference in May (2017).

The article, written by a Walter Barbieri , claimed that Mr Wong had juxtaposed Singapore's stellar academic results in the 2015 Programme for International Student Assessment (Pisa) study conducted by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) with the data on student well-being and innovation in t he economy, which placed Singapore in the lowest quartile.

Before over 1500 delegates, it wrote, Mr Wong said: "We've been winning the wrong race". He attributed Singapore's Pisa success to standardised test drilling and a culture of compliance, said the article, adding that he had remarked that Singapore is "building compliant students just as the jobs that value compliance are beginning to disappear".

The comments were then reproduced by community news site Mothership.sg. On Monday night (Aug 28), MOE clarified in a comment on Mothership's Facebook post about the story that Mr Wong had not made the statements quoted in the article.

"This is fake news," said MOE. "We are disappointed that your website would circulate such false comments. We would appreciate it if you could remove the article immediately or at least print a correction."

The Straits Times is reaching out to Australian Teacher Magazine for comment.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...singapores-culture-of-compliance-is-fake-news

Last edited:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
scroobal said:
He also calls a spade a spade without ruffling feathers. Really a nice guy.

That statement by him that we are winning the wrong race shows that he have Ministers in MOE who have no idea what is going on. Anyone else would have couched in vague terms.

It turns out that this Wong guy did not criticise our beloved education system as reported by the Aussie fake news. We may have to re-evaluate your assessment of this nice guy.

Nobody in a chink system gets to the top and stays at at the top for calling a spade a spade. Feathers will be ruffled and scores will be settled.

A two chink guys I read about who enjoyed ruffling feathers with all their ideas came to sorry ends. One was hacked to death the instant the king died and the other ended up being a fugitive who couldn't even get the local budget hotels to rent him a room for one night thanks to his strong fascist laws on freedom of movement. He ended up getting torn apart by wild horses in the town square.

Any guy who climbs to the top of the sinkie civil service does so by being a scholar either from the start or halfway, knows how to wayang and give his superiors what they want.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was shocked initially. For a moment I thought he he really so gutsy and willing to commit suicide, only to be disappointed. Someone rising so fast to be DG can't be that upright. To-date, i only know one who make it to the top without being a porlumpar, although he was way behind his peers in promotion.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's ok to go off tangent for sinkie elites once in a while. it's tolerated and unleashes naysayers and the lunatic fringe in order to let them crawl out of the woodwork so as to identify them. otherwise how to flush out insurgents and defects of elite society? moreover, more eyes on those who preach from an ivory tower with a fatal flaw. that's the pisa fallacy. :wink: :p

IMG_0116.JPG

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
All I care about, is , are the stats right. If so, that is what the DG of Education should be saying.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Someone rising so fast to be DG can't be that upright. To-date, i only know one who make it to the top without being a porlumpar, although he was way behind his peers in promotion.

The true PISA fallacy... Teehee...

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
This is for show.

LSG and HP primed the teaching fraternity for Values Education some years back now even before HSK became the messenger to the public.

I have one simple question: how do you quantify compassion? :smile::smile::smile: